Wrnd - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Wrnd

Default Re: Wrnd

My previous comment was incorrect, and caused confusion. I mixed up their DC/DC with another WRND product.

For correction.
    - There are no Load connections on the WRND DC/DC unit
    - Loads (fridges) will be connected via the battery terminals of the Aux battery
    - As the load is not running via the WRND, it will not cut sense and cut out when there is a low charge on the Aux battery
    - It will protect the primary battery from excessive discharge, but not the Aux
    - Additional protection should be provided between the Aux battery and the loads (fridges) to prevent excessive discharge.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    My previous comment was incorrect, and caused confusion. I mixed up their DC/DC with another WRND product.

For correction.
    - Loads (fridges) will be connected via the battery terminals of the Aux battery
    - As the load is not running via the WRND, it will not cut sense and cut out when there is a low charge on the Aux battery
    - Additional protection should be provided between the Aux battery and the loads (fridges) to prevent excessive discharge.
    Correct, that is how I understand it.

Its like your 220v smart charger, it just charges the battery, not meant to run load from it.
    Fridges ext runs from the auxiliary battery.

I have a WRND and a Engel fridge, there is no low battery cut off, you will have to add something in for that.

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    Correct, that is how I understand it.

Its like your 220v smart charger, it just charges the battery, not meant to run load from it.
    Fridges ext runs from the auxiliary battery.

I have a WRND and a Engel fridge, there is no low battery cut off, you will have to add something in for that.
    Indeed. I again apologise for the incorrect info posted earlier - I guess thats what happens when I try and multi-task.

I like this battery protector from ManTech - https://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInf...?Item=372M0190

Thank you.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

For correction.
    Correct!
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

For correction.
    100% Correct

Franna
    Swambo= Porsche Boxster
    Myself= Triton 3.2 Auto.... Cirrus Inter-cooler,63 mm Powerflo Exhaust and Unichip installed/Tuned by KSD
    Imagine Trailvan 4x4 caravan.

One can also look for the cheap battery protector from Hcdupreez as on their website or on Bush power.co.za web. They sell for about R350 and dated at 10A which is ideal for a fridge.

Ok, so after all the advice, I reconfigured my fridge setup..

I had the HCDP Battery protector, so connected that to the Aux Batt neg&pos, and connected the fridges to the terminals on the battery protector.. This batt protector is suppose to cut power at 11volts which a bit low to my liking.

The other thing I noticed, is that when the fridges run from the aux batts, it also drains the main battery, this should not happen, I mean why have a DC-DC Charger if your main batt is going to be drained as well.

For this challenge, I put in a battery isolator switch on the positive feeding the WRND. So when the fridges are running from the aux batts, I just flip the cut off switch.. Bit of a nuisance, but what else can one do??

Hope it makes sense..

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptein Jack View Post
    Ok, so after all the advice, I reconfigured my fridge setup..

I had the HCDP Battery protector, so connected that to the Aux Batt neg&pos, and connected the fridges to the terminals on the battery protector.. This batt protector is suppose to cut power at 11volts which a bit low to my liking.

The other thing I noticed, is that when the fridges run from the aux batts, it also drains the main battery, this should not happen, I mean why have a DC-DC Charger if your main batt is going to be drained as well.

For this challenge, I put in a battery isolator switch on the positive feeding the WRND. So when the fridges are running from the aux batts, I just flip the cut off switch.. Bit of a nuisance, but what else can one do??

Hope it makes sense..
    --11volts which a bit low to my liking.
    Mine too - 11 volts is less than 10% charge on an AGM battery - hardly a battery protector, is this adjustable?

--The other thing I noticed, is that when the fridges run from the aux batts, it also drains the main battery, this should not happen, I mean why have a DC-DC Charger if your main batt is going to be drained as well.
    Unless your dc-dc charger is faulty, there is no need to flip switches. The unit will take power from the cranking battery but never take the cranking battery below 12.8v.
    (Assuming that the (unnessary in most cases) extended charge wire is not connected, that is).

--what else can one do??
    As an alternative to replacing the fridges, maybe try and find an aftermarket "black box" that contains a relay which cuts power to the loads when the aux battery state of charge reaches a pre-set level (11.8v is 30% soc). This is, after all, built into the Snomaster fridges, and as far as I know, into all inverters.
    An auto electrician should be able to advise on this, and you can easily check whether the loads connected to the aux are draining the cranking battery below 12.8v with a multi meter.
    If they are, you have a faulty dc-dc charger.

Hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok.. So maybe I then have a faulty WRND DCDC Charger, as all my batts went down to 12v, I then stopped the process.

Will have it seen to in the new year.

Yes I have looked at other battery protectors, just waiting for the new year to come and businesses to resume normally.

Quite like this, https://microinstruments.co.za/produ...tector-display

And this one

https://www.mantech.co.za/ProductInf...?Item=372M0190
    Last edited by Kaptein Jack; 2019/12/25 at 10:31 PM.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

Ok. I dont know of any Engel fridge that has a cut off switch when the aux batts drop below a certain voltage.
    According to Google the new Platinum series Engel Fridge/Freezer models, MT45 FP Digital Series, MT 45 FP-G4P and MT45 F-U1-P Digital Series, are equiped with a "battery monitor" as Engel calls its low voltage cut out feature.

So it seems that all the new Engel Platinum Digital Series fridges with the new digital temp control in the larger models (40L, 60L and 80L) do have low voltage battery protection and cuts the power at 11.5 V.

I do not know if the Engel with the plastic housing are using low voltage cut out.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2019/12/26 at 07:00 AM.

Hi Kaptein. Did you connect that extra wire?. I think it is called charge extend. Your symptom sounds as if you did
    Last edited by Hiluxsurf; 2019/12/26 at 02:44 PM.
    "The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.-Saint Augustine"

Quote Originally Posted by Hiluxsurf View Post
    Hi Kaptein. Did you connect that extra wire?. I think it is called charge extend. Your symptom sounds as if you did
    No, not connected, thanks

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

I think the bottom line here, it is cheap DC-DC charger that does not have all the bells and whistles of the units costing R4500+, still a good buy though for the price.
    Last edited by Kaptein Jack; 2019/12/26 at 06:11 PM.

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

So on the road this morning, WRND keeps on blowing the 30amp fuse for the power comming from the main batt... Why is that??

Toyota D4D Legend 45
    Nissan Kingcab 2007 4x4
    Bushlapa Vlooi 652

So on the road this morning, WRND keeps on blowing the 30amp fuse for the power comming from the main batt... Why is that??
    Is this the fuse that you've put in on the positive wire close to the battery? or the one on the charger?

The positive wire could be damaged and is somehow making a short by touching the chassis.

The charger could be damaged? All their products is tested before shipping so is unlikely but not impossible.

Double check all your wiring, make double sure all positive/negative connections are correct.

Do you have a multi-meter? Check all in and outgoing voltages on your system.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by Viertrek View Post
    According to Google the new Platinum series Engel Fridge/Freezer models, MT45 FP Digital Series, MT 45 FP-G4P and MT45 F-U1-P Digital Series, are equiped with a "battery monitor" as Engel calls its low voltage cut out feature.

So it seems that all the new Engel Platinum Digital Series fridges with the new digital temp control in the larger models (40L, 60L and 80L) do have low voltage battery protection and cuts the power at 11.5 V.

I do not know if the Engel with the plastic housing are using low voltage cut out.
    That is correct, but not for sale in SA

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by Chris8d View Post
    That is correct, but not for sale in SA
    That's interesting.

I have the 40 L Engel model MT 45 F-S platinum series II which already have the interior light and digital temp display but not the digital temp control.

This is the last model just before the models with low voltage protection. It was part of the Desert Product range.

But unfortunately no low voltage cut off as far as I know.
    Last edited by Viertrek; 2019/12/27 at 12:02 PM.

I'm assuming that the fuse you are talking about is the fuse at the primary battery on the live to the WRND, not the WRND's own fuse?
    Most likely a short circuit but there are some strange things going on - this plus discharging the primary battery.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, you need to consider the possibility that the loads (fridges) that were connected directly to the WRND may have caused some damage to the circuitry.

Does sound like your WRND is faulty. I don't have any of your problems with mine

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast