Charging AA, AAA batteries. - Page 3

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Default Re: Charging AA, AAA batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    I am happy with my two Uniross chargers.
    Me too: I also have one.
    I like the LED indicators that indicate that the batteries are charging/fully charged.

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    Beware of cheap China batteries that are marked up to 4000mAh that can sometimes not even provide 200mAh. I have also found Li-Ion marked up to 4500mAh for the 18650 battery and then only provide 800mAh under the normal 100mA load used for capacity testing.
    My point number two (Always check the mah rating on the battery!) refers to batteries from the same manufacturer.

Lets for example take Energizer batteries, you walk into PicknPay/Makro/Builders etc. to buy batteries, all the Energizer AA batteries look the same so you buy the cheaper ones. You have now bought the 14000mah batteries and not the 23000mah batteries. They will probably disappoint you with their performance. Read the fine print to see what the mah rating is.

I only use Uniross, Olight, Energizer, Duracell and Eneloop. Goedkoop is duurkoop!
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Mackay View Post
    Me too: I also have one.
    I like the LED indicators that indicate that the batteries are charging/fully charged.
    I like that they came standard with 220v cable and 12v cig.lighter cable.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

Very easy choice:

https://nitecoresa.co.za/

Quote Originally Posted by golfgt View Post
    nothing beat eneloop
    Iíve had better results with Watson, with which I replaced all my Sanyo Eneloops.
    Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPeeler View Post
    Lithium batteries have much longer shelf life compared to alkaline batteries, it doesn't swell and leak nearly as much as alkaline batteries. Lithium batteries is perfect for spare batteries because of the long shelf life.

With short to medium high current applications like in in torches, camera flash etc, it does last much longer than alkaline, but I do found with low/medium constant current like clocks, it doesn't have a much more running time compared to alkaline batteries on a price point of view for some reason I still not sure off.
    I definitely use these Energizer Lithiumís for my flash units, more for their fast recycling time than longevity, but that also albeit of secondary importance.

Just be careful of using them in some flashes, as not all can handle the fast recycling and can burn out (or let the smoke out, as some say!)
    Series 80 'Cruiser GX Diesel 1996
    Previously: '98 Defender 110 HT TDi, Landy SIII S/W, Hilux D/C 4x4,
    Isuzu 2,3 4x4, Isuzu 2,0 4x4, Isuzu 1600 4x4, Chev Nomad, Cheetah beach buggy!

Quote Originally Posted by Erwin Schimper View Post
    I use these. They outlast everything by miles. Also have a spare set as they you forget when you have installed them and then they go flat when not expectedAttachment 527731
    These are interesting. If they are Li-Ion the cell voltage is normally 3 - 4.2V which doesn't comply with the AAA 1.5V standard..
    So what voltage are these??

These are interesting. If they are Li-Ion the cell voltage is normally 3 - 4.2V which doesn't comply with the AAA 1.5V standard..
    They are 1.5V

Those Lithium cells are the same as Alkaline cells --- 1.5- 1.7 volt

Li- ion as you mentioned are 3.0 - 4..2 volt
    LI Ion compattale AA size is 14500, AAA is 10440 , but can't be used in devices that is not designed for the higher voltage.
    They are normally used in flashlights where normal alkaline or lithium batteries also can be used, but with lower lumens output / performance .

Those aren't Li-ion, it's a lithium based chemistry but not recharable and they cost the earth, almost as much as decent Nimh rechargeables.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Skylark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    I don't understand - please explain.
    Something similar to https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1781757
    We just did not print it full length.
    Actually it was printed full length, but then sawed into 2 half-lengths.

Just to maintain proper contact with the charger's terminals especially when charging on the move.
    Make it happen!

2018 Mobi Lodge

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Toccata (Roelof) For This Useful Post:

PRA

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyPeeler View Post
    Lithium batteries have much longer shelf life compared to alkaline batteries, it doesn't swell and leak nearly as much as alkaline batteries. Lithium batteries is perfect for spare batteries because of the long shelf life.
    Do the alkaline batteries have a shelf life? If so is it displayed on them?
    Today I bought a pack of Agfaphoto alkaline batteries (16 x AA and 16 x AAA) for R42 at Builder Warehouse. (That's just over R1 per battery!)
    Have I been duped??

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Richard Mackay For This Useful Post:

Do the alkaline batteries have a shelf life? If so is it displayed on them?
    Today I bought a pack of Agfaphoto alkaline batteries (16 x AA and 16 x AAA) for R42 at Builder Warehouse. (That's just over R1 per battery!)
    Have I been duped??
    That's a crazy good price, alkalines do have a shelf life - most batteries have a date code on them somewhere, either on the packaging or on each cell.
    Last edited by Skylark; 2019/05/11 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark View Post
    That's a crazy good price, alkalines do have a shelf life - most batteries have a date code on them somewhere, either on the packaging or on each cell.
    I have looked but can't see one.
    I'm sure the shelf life has got to better than SLA batteries which always have a date stamp on them (even if it might be encoded)

Quote Originally Posted by Magnaman View Post
    What charger is available to charge AA, AAA and conventional rechargable torch batteries from my 12v source. I do not want to use an inverter.
    Where do I find rechargeable torch batteries.
    You do not need to use a charger. We all know that those batteries cannot be recharged as they may explode.However there are tricks. You get a 10.000 uF or 4700 uF or 22000 uF 16 Volt or higher voltage electrolytic capacitor, You charge it on a 12 Volt battery and then discharge it over the empty 1,5 Volt battery plus to plus and minus to minus. You do that a number of times and your battery is again reasonable usable. Before I went to overseas 2 months ago I had a problem with my meter and my blood pressure unit and had no chance to buy new batteries. It is now still full and also my meter. Moral of the story, you dump start the battery in that way and the energy is not enough to explode the battery. Try it and you will see for yourself. Your capacitor may spark when charging and discharging, that is normal. Do it, where there is no danger for igniting fuel. Bert

Quote Originally Posted by BertKu View Post
    You do not need to use a charger. We all know that those batteries cannot be recharged as they may explode.However there are tricks. You get a 10.000 uF or 4700 uF or 22000 uF 16 Volt or higher voltage electrolytic capacitor, You charge it on a 12 Volt battery and then discharge it over the empty 1,5 Volt battery plus to plus and minus to minus. You do that a number of times and your battery is again reasonable usable. Before I went to overseas 2 months ago I had a problem with my meter and my blood pressure unit and had no chance to buy new batteries. It is now still full and also my meter. Moral of the story, you dump start the battery in that way and the energy is not enough to explode the battery. Try it and you will see for yourself. Your capacitor may spark when charging and discharging, that is normal. Do it, where there is no danger for igniting fuel. Bert
    Why?
    I donít see the point. Just use a recommended charger.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Why?
    I don’t see the point. Just use a recommended charger.
    He was referring to a method of keeping non-rechargeable batteries going.

You can also leave them in the sun to warm up, that gives them a bit more energy.
    Last edited by Jola; 2019/05/15 at 12:48 PM.
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Quote Originally Posted by Jola View Post
    He was referring to a method of keeping non-rechargeable batteries going.

You can also leave them in the sun to warm up, that gives them a bit more energy.
    O, okay...

To add what BertKu indicated I have used a cell charger from 220V or USB charger to add a bit of power into non rechargeable batteries. You can connect it to the 5V for a few sec and off for a few sec and repeat it a few times. The low current should prevent the 1.5V from exploding. Most of us would have a spare charger around. It will help in an emergency.

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Why?
    I donít see the point. Just use a recommended charger.
    Well its is very simple. Do you really think that a battery manufacturer has massive charged liquid filling material in the production line? too dangerous, they charge the battery at the end of the process, when the battery is finished. I have to be honest and a 4700 uF is too low and I first kick start it with fraction of a second touching it to a 12 Volt big battery. Once only, thereafter top it up with a 10.000 or 22.000 uF elco. if do it multiple times by just scratching the connections of the battery, you may heat up the small battery too much and it could explode in your hand. I do it with 1,2 Volt, 1,5 Volt and 9 Volt batteries. All from the car battery when the ignition is OFF. The point is that one always have a empty battery at the wrong moment. My car is always at hand. I haven't done it with lithium batteries, as the manufacturer specified not to charge with voltages greater than 3.65 Volt I have 4O x 5C ( 1 C = 5 Ampere) batteries and charge them in series of 4 on a normal charger, watching each battery for not exceeding the max allowed voltage. Try it, but be careful. Who needs a handful of chargers? Bert
    Note: if you do charge an empty 1,2 or 1,5 Volt battery on a 12 Volt charger, please DO NOT exceed the fuse current. place a 12 Volt globe/bulb in series to avoid blowing the fuse. SAND try it and tell me your experience.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast