Second hand vehicle pricing

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Second hand vehicle pricing

Hi all
    So I have been scouting for a 4x4 for the past 2 to 3 months now.
    2 question may be someone has some insight into.

1. Why are cars in Jhb and surrounding normally 20k cheaper like for like than in Cape Town.

2. When did it become normal for private sellers to ask the same if not more than stealers.

I have been looking for a something in the range of 180k to 250k and whats on offer is mostly crazy. Were private sellers are wanting rediculous money for their 2010 or 2012 with 220k km + on the clock.
    Last edited by Justme29; 2019/05/05 at 04:25 PM.

Default Re: Second hand vehicle pricing

Jhb market is just so much bigger, ie more supply than other areas hence prices generally need to drop to compensate.

4x4s are normally enthusiasts vehicles hence they probably value them higher than the typical private seller.

All things being equal dealer prices being the same or cheaper than private sellers is not a trend I'm aware of.

Ok quick example not trying to bash anyone or anything like that. You are allowed to ask what ever price you want for your vehicle.

I am going to to look at a 2013 isuzu 250dtec with 145k km on the clock tomorrow at a dealer with fsh

Then someone private is advertising a 2014 same bakkie spec with same mileage for 40k more.

I mean really 40k more for 1 year newer.
    And I have noticed a few examples of this.
    Once again just stating something I have noticed. Everyone can ask whatever they want.

My father used to catch a bus from Tzaneen to JHB every month, buy a car, drive it back and then sell it for 30% more.

It's all about the market...
    Stay Safe
    Disco-Deon
    This morning I woke up,
    Making today a great day.
    Nerdy, 2011 Honda Jazz, 1500 Exc

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Disco-Deon For This Useful Post:

I suspect that a lot of times the advertised price is not necessarily the one that it is sold at in the end of the day. Yes, and this selling and buying thing is very interesting. If I sell I want to sell at the highest price I can. And when I then go out to buy, I want to buy at the lowest price possible. Somewhere in between these to have to meet to make happy seller and happy buyer.

I also complain when I feel people are asking way to much for what they are selling. But if there are other people willing to buy at the "higher" price, what reason does the seller have to lower his price.

Anyway, that is my simplistic view. I am sure there are people with thick glasses and white coats who have trained how to play this game.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Daniek For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Justme29 View Post
    Hi all
    So I have been scouting for a 4x4 for the past 2 to 3 months now.
    So you are one of the guys that has been doing his homework... there are plenty others who don't... if they pay the premium... nothing you can do...

It's a numbers game... if you know what you are looking for... the good deal will come up.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MarcR For This Useful Post:

Yes luckily I'm in no rush and it's a want purchase not a must. So I have been taking my time to find something I like. But it looks like it's coming down to 2 choices navara with less mileage or isuzu which I would prefer but higher mileage. Will hopefully know tomorrow after I see the isuzu.

Quote Originally Posted by Justme29 View Post
    2. When did it become normal for private sellers to ask the same if not more than stealers.
    Well, if the person traded the vehicle they'd get a low offer and the dealer would then mark it up to the forecourt price for you to buy, so, why shouldn't the private seller ask that price?
    It's up to you whether you pay it, bearing in mind that anything is negotiable, depending how much you want it and how much the seller needs the money.

If I was selling, I'd do similar as a starting point and have a fixed bottom line price to give me haggle room.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

My son in law bought a 2014 Jimney for R160000 done 74000k in a private original owner sale. The price was half way between trade in price and retail dealer selling price so buyer and seller were happy.
    Pajero 3,2 DID 3 door 2007

Quote Originally Posted by Disco-Deon View Post
    My father used to catch a bus from Tzaneen to JHB every month, buy a car, drive it back and then sell it for 30% more.

It's all about the market...
    there we go

obviously the Western Cape guys are willing to pay top dollar instead of travelling 200kms
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Consider the following:

1. If you can establish a relationship with a sales guy at a dealer, you can often get a ''trade-cover''. Dealers have to manage their cash flow and will sit with trade-in stocks which hampers CF. If they can get someone to pay their trade-in offer to the seller, they dont sit with the stock. This is often at a 1 to 1 and they dont take a cut on it. You score the vehicle you want at a trade price but you might not get the usual dealer warranty.

2. Buying from a dealer gets you a certain amount of peace of mind compared to a private sale so it could prove to be less hassle just buying from a dealer in the short to medium term, unless you get that vehicle at a fire-sale price from a desperate seller.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Peter5 View Post
    My son in law bought a 2014 Jimney for R160000 done 74000k in a private original owner sale. The price was half way between trade in price and retail dealer selling price so buyer and seller were happy.
    My point exactly this is what used to happen but u don't really see this anymore.
    I have been buying a new vehicle every 2 to 3 years since 2000 and since I bought last almost 3 years ago it looks like it all changed. I would buy either demos or 1 year old so that I don't take the initial depreciation knock. Keep it for a while and then sell for between trade and retail and we would both be happy. But now private wants more than retail. As someone mentioned above people aee paying it. Just doesn't make financial sense to me.

Private wants more than retail because they have loaded shortfalls etc to their vehicles from previous vehicles and now owe too much to really get out of their finance with dealers

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mr.G For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.G View Post
    Private wants more than retail because they have loaded shortfalls etc to their vehicles from previous vehicles and now owe too much to really get out of their finance with dealers
    yep, they also owe more because of that pesky balloon payment
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    there we go

obviously the Western Cape guys are willing to pay top dollar instead of travelling 200kms
    So what are they going to buy in Laingsburg?
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Francois Theron View Post
    Lmao

personally to me its all about condition vs what you want, first rule is engage in the seller secondly have a look if you serious then negotiate.

I pulled a deal with someone originally wanted 165k we eventually settled on 140k : )

Then other times I did not even negotiate, just paid what the seller was asking, for the value of what the vehicle was worth to me condition......
    Hilux 2700i s/c 4X4 with a few extras ...............
    Cape Town

23. The Following User Says Thank You to ismail For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ismail View Post
    personally to me its all about condition vs what you want, first rule is engage in the seller secondly have a look if you serious then negotiate.

I pulled a deal with someone originally wanted 165k we eventually settled on 140k : )

Then other times I did not even negotiate, just paid what the seller was asking, for the value of what the vehicle was worth to me condition......
    Hi

For me, I will easily pay more than retail if the vehicle is in great condition.
    A one owner private sale is sometimes better than buying from a dealer. You can get an idea who the owner was and they can give you more info on the vehicle if you buy privately. (Maintenance done, etc)

Cheers

grapgat
    Percivamus

Tant Poppie se roosterkoeke, see https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3OBNO127Q74
    2011 Pajero 3.8 GLS LWB
    1996 Conquest 160i RS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast