Ford & Mazda Ford Ranger T6 - how do I manually move the transfer case to 2H

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Arrow Ford Ranger T6 - how do I manually move the transfer case to 2H

Good day. Bakkie stuck in 4L. How can I manually move the transfer case to 2H? Does anyone know the positions?
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

Smile Re: Ford Ranger T6 - how do I manually move the transfer case to 2H

Hi Ungie,

Best way to do it is put it in reverse and reverse a bit and the 1st again and forward then neutral and then select 2H. Just keep trying that sequence. The solenoid is stuck and no manual option. That always worked for me when I had a Ford, happened plenty of times.

Hope you come right.

Regards

Eric

Default Re: Ford Ranger T6 - how do I manually move the transfer case to 2H

On the old 4.0l you can remove the shifter motor on the T case. It were marked 2wd, 4H and 4L. You then shift manual by turning the shaft with someone thinking like a shifting spanner
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

It started doing this in Botswana last week. Ford Maun reckoned that I need a new shifter motor but did not have the part but they somehow got the vehicle out of low range into 2wd in order for me to drive back. Ford here in Pretoria quoted R18000. I eventually got one from a new transfer case assembly (with the motor not being required). Same issue. Thinking it os not the motor. Problem is I cannot get it out of 4L in order to take to workshop again. I tried manually moving the transfer case, with the motor removed, bu there is no indication of where 4H and 2H is located. I have tried all the other tricks.
    Chris

Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungie For This Useful Post:

Take the shift motor off keep it connected to the electrics. See if it shift when you select high low or 2wd
    Last edited by grips; 2019/05/05 at 09:48 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

You can check the fuse for the transfer case, it is situated in the main fuse box under the bonnet.
    Hope you come right.

Also check your clutch pedal switches. It should have 2 switches. Check that both are operating correctly.

Thank you all. I am away on business untill Wednesday. I will do all the checks on Wednesday and report back.
    Chris

I got help from the Ford workshop foreman on how to manually shift to 2H on the transfer case. My battery also got drained in the meantime. After discussions it seems that the fault can be electric and a main culprit could be the tracker system. Mine was installed about 4 years ago when I got the vehicle. Does anyone have a similar experience with this?
    Chris

Question Re: Ford Ranger T6 - how do I manually move the transfer case to 2H

So I tried again today. I was able to move transfer case to 4H atleast. I couldn't find the 2H positions and there is no guide. I also cleaned the "faulty" motor. After resetting the bakkie by removing battery terminals and waiting, I tested the "faulty" motor. It turned initially whe turning the dial from 2H to 4H and then again from 4H to 4L. Then it stopped and nothing you do will get the motor to turn. So it seems that the fault is electrical. I don't know what to do now. I checked the relays and fuses and all seems fine. I am concerned that Ford will just want to replace parts as usual untill the find the problem as they wanted to replace the transfer case motor. Any advise?
    Chris

There is lots of stuff influencing the 4x4 selection on the Rangers. I am familiar with the system of the older 4.0l v6. Not 100% sure about the T6.
    There are inputs for speed , abs , difflock, front diff engaged and many more. Maybe a good idea would be to connect an OBD2 reader. I hate these systems and can many tales of them not engaging or disengaging.
    Once were driving a tweespoorpaadjie along the West Coast. Fairly hard so no need for 4wd. Were looking at the scenery when I suddenly stuck a very sandy patch. On top of it all someone were seriously stuck there before us. Tried to select 4x4 with no luck.
    I lowered tyre pressures to about 0.5 bar and were able to careful manoeuvre out there in 2wd. Once on terra firma it selected 4wd
    with no sweat.

One of the reasons why I love basic 4x4`s with short sticks.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    There is lots of stuff influencing the 4x4 selection on the Rangers. I am familiar with the system of the older 4.0l v6. Not 100% sure about the T6.
    There are inputs for speed , abs , difflock, front diff engaged and many more. Maybe a good idea would be to connect an OBD2 reader. I hate these systems and can many tales of them not engaging or disengaging.
    Once were driving a tweespoorpaadjie along the West Coast. Fairly hard so no need for 4wd. Were looking at the scenery when I suddenly stuck a very sandy patch. On top of it all someone were seriously stuck there before us. Tried to select 4x4 with no luck.
    I lowered tyre pressures to about 0.5 bar and were able to careful manoeuvre out there in 2wd. Once on terra firma it selected 4wd
    with no sweat.

Hi grips. OBDII reader just states that 4x4 not disengaging. All other faults are clear.
    Chris

So I took the Ranger to an auto-electrician with a fancy diagnostic program. It seems that the transfer case Hall effect sensor is faulty. Dunno exactly what that is but seems that it measures the speed of the drive shaft so that could explain why it doesn't want to shift to 2WD.
    Chris

with no sweat.

Speed sensor" title="Evil" border="">

Speed sensor" title="Evil" border="">
    Seems like you were on the ball grips. I am not sure whether there are fundamental differences between the 4x4 system in the old and new rangers. It seems from searches on the internet that there are numerous queries about the 4x4 system issues on the previous model rangers, not so much on the T6 thought. Could be because the model is newer. I am starting to share your sentiment on a 4x4 with a stokkie.
    Chris

At least I know now how to manually move the transfer case to 2H if anyone needs to know.
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    Seems like you were on the ball grips. I am not sure whether there are fundamental differences between the 4x4 system in the old and new rangers. It seems from searches on the internet that there are numerous queries about the 4x4 system issues on the previous model rangers, not so much on the T6 thought. Could be because the model is newer. I am starting to share your sentiment on a 4x4 with a stokkie.

The 4x4 is fixed now. Apparently some wires got chafed/damaged and had to be repaired. There was also an issue with a switch in the transfer case motor that was repaired. Turned out that the replacement motor that I got was for a 3.2 and these motors are not cross-compatible between the 3.2 and 2.2 engines. Everything working fine now.
    Chris

Unhappy Re: Ford Ranger T6 - how do I manually move the transfer case to 2H

Driving in 4h I slowed down and changed back to 2h at about 20 kmph and motor idling and ended up in neutral

No shifting of gears or removing battery terminals, touching them together and checking all fuses could solve the problem

I crawled under while swambo switched back and forth between 2h 4h and 4l and only heard click when the 4l was switched on and off but nothing between 2h and 4h

End result sofar is that the vehicles was lifted on a rollback to Ford in Ficksburg and the gearbox has been removed so that they can send it to Bloemfontein in the new year

I have today checked with a similar 3.2 auto 4x4 and found that the 2h to 4h gives the sound of the motor on the transfer box engaging, ( my gearbox motor is dead quiet) so I believe that that is where my problem lies

My 4 year warranty expired last month but I bought a 2 year extended warranty when I bought the vehicle, so lets see how good the extended warranty is worth anything

Anybody out there had similar experience ?
    2015 Ford Ranger DC 4x4
    Sprite tourer SP traded in
    2015 Sprite Swing

Quote Originally Posted by doggy View Post
    Driving in 4h I slowed down and changed back to 2h at about 20 kmph and motor idling and ended up in neutral

No shifting of gears or removing battery terminals, touching them together and checking all fuses could solve the problem

I crawled under while swambo switched back and forth between 2h 4h and 4l and only heard click when the 4l was switched on and off but nothing between 2h and 4h

End result sofar is that the vehicles was lifted on a rollback to Ford in Ficksburg and the gearbox has been removed so that they can send it to Bloemfontein in the new year

I have today checked with a similar 3.2 auto 4x4 and found that the 2h to 4h gives the sound of the motor on the transfer box engaging, ( my gearbox motor is dead quiet) so I believe that that is where my problem lies

My 4 year warranty expired last month but I bought a 2 year extended warranty when I bought the vehicle, so lets see how good the extended warranty is worth anything

Anybody out there had similar experience ?
    Does not seem like the problem is with the gearbox, likely with the transfer case shifter motor. Let me know if you need one. I have the 3.2 transfer case shifter motor available as they sold me the 3.2 motor instead of the 2.2 one.
    Chris

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast