DIY GV Rocksliders





Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 11

    Default DIY GV Rocksliders

    So it looks like rocksliders for the GV aren't really commercially available anymore and since I've been leaning towards the DIY route anyway it seems like it's project time.

    I'd like to ask GV owners who have rock sliders installed for a bit of advice regarding the mounting of the sliders. MJk_suzuki has already provided some useful photos but I'm still uncertain about what happens at the all important pinch seam. I want these to be very heavy duty so I need to do this the right way.

    The way I see it, the mounting at the pinch seam is what takes the brunt of the vertical force should you drop onto a rock. The extended brackets linking to the unibody channel provides lateral stability.

    I've seen rocksliders for Jeep unibodies which are bolted through the pinch seam at multiple points as per the attached photo.

    So... My questions to the smart folks out there:

    Is multiple bolting positions the recommended way of attachment?
    Is load bearing not restricted to the two jacking points of the seam?
    Is there any other way where I don't have to drill into the seam?
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Manual

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: DIY GV Rocksliders

    Go and look on my GV build on the forum at mine.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: DIY GV Rocksliders

    Quote Originally Posted by VinZA View Post
    So it looks like rocksliders for the GV aren't really commercially available anymore and since I've been leaning towards the DIY route anyway it seems like it's project time.

    I'd like to ask GV owners who have rock sliders installed for a bit of advice regarding the mounting of the sliders. MJk_suzuki has already provided some useful photos but I'm still uncertain about what happens at the all important pinch seam. I want these to be very heavy duty so I need to do this the right way.

    The way I see it, the mounting at the pinch seam is what takes the brunt of the vertical force should you drop onto a rock. The extended brackets linking to the unibody channel provides lateral stability.

    I've seen rocksliders for Jeep unibodies which are bolted through the pinch seam at multiple points as per the attached photo.

    So... My questions to the smart folks out there:

    Is multiple bolting positions the recommended way of attachment?
    Is load bearing not restricted to the two jacking points of the seam?
    Is there any other way where I don't have to drill into the seam?
    Here you go hope it helps if needed I can try to take some measurements Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155918.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	527447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155902.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	527448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155852.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	527449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155836.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	527450

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,772
    Thanked: 232

    Default Re: DIY GV Rocksliders

    I think if you are handy with this kind of stuff you could mod this nicely. There is no need to drill new holes, there are plenty there. Multiple mounting points enable the load to be spread more - the more mounting points the less stress on the body and the slider.

    So, if I was a good welder and had access to metal working equipment I would create two tanks which could fill the areas on both sides I've marked 2 .... these could be used as extended fuel or water tanks. I would then make flat plate to cover the entire area 1 so there is nothing to get hung up on.. and protection for the 'tanks'. This is what I would create if I could


    Suzi Blue , 2008 Nocturne Blue Suzuki Grand Vitara 3.2 V6

    Dobinson's 40mm suspension, Wizerd rock sliders, radiator, sump and diff plates
    Frontrunner RoofRack, NL 2nd Battery Box, Llumar sun protection
    16" Hyundai Tucson rims, 235/70R16 General Grabber AT3 tyres

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to daveysmith For This Useful Post:


  6. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    36
    Thanked: 11

    Default Re: DIY GV Rocksliders

    Quote Originally Posted by MJk_suzuki View Post
    Here you go hope it helps if needed I can try to take some measurements Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155918.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	36.3 KB 
ID:	527447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155902.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	38.1 KB 
ID:	527448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155852.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	527449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190503_155836.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	77.3 KB 
ID:	527450
    Thanks for the photos. Are the bolts visible in the pics the only attachment points? I was under the impression that sliders should be attached at the vertical seam under the door as that is the most structural point.
    The part I'm talking about is where the jacking points are at each end. It's indicated in the attached photo where I have removed the plastic trim on the sills.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gv-seam.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	527828
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 2.4 Manual

  7. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2017
    Location
    Kuilsrivier
    Age
    31
    Posts
    88
    Thanked: 12

    Default Re: DIY GV Rocksliders

    Quote Originally Posted by VinZA View Post
    Thanks for the photos. Are the bolts visible in the pics the only attachment points? I was under the impression that sliders should be attached at the vertical seam under the door as that is the most structural point.
    The part I'm talking about is where the jacking points are at each end. It's indicated in the attached photo where I have removed the plastic trim on the sills.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gv-seam.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	116.7 KB 
ID:	527828
    Will have a look tomorrow and get back to you

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •