Stones, Trailers & Rear windows - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Stones, Trailers & Rear windows

The Aussies has a solution. Unfortunately nobody stocks in SA.
    Land Cruiser 79 D/CAB - OME, ARB, Snorkel, Winch
    150 Prado 4.0 VX
    BMW 135i Coupe BMW Performance Power Kit

2. The Following User Says Thank You to jacovdh For This Useful Post:

hello! address the source, big mud flaps on tow vehicle
    Chris Stockwell
    Toyota FJ cruiser
    BMW 1600 GT M/Cycle

"If it ain't fun, I ain't doin it."

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ryzen For This Useful Post:

Got my hands on this bit of gold so now have to order a sheet of perspex to the exact dimensions. then have to heat and shape to the window's curvature. This will be fitted/ removed as needed when the trailer is in tow. Will post updates as to how I go with this.

Quote Originally Posted by ryzen View Post
    hello! address the source, big mud flaps on tow vehicle
    I agree with you, that would be ideal but for those without aftermarket bumpers mounting large protectors is not always easy.

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/07 at 08:39 AM.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Quote Originally Posted by DETOUR-GP View Post
    Are you thinking of VPS? That stuff is great in protecting paint work but I am not too sure if it will protect for the stone.... hmmm
    No, much thicker. Like this

https://www.autostyle.co.za/product/...otective-film/
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    Thats also an option albeit pricey at R240 for a 50cm x 30cm piece so you are looking at approx R1,200 to do a window. Perspex is most certainly a cheaper option.
    Rob,

D4 SDV6 HSE ARB Bullbar, Compos, BFG 265/65R18s, Big Country drawers, National Luna 52L, Dometic 50L, Spare Wheel Carrier, Roof Rack, Hardshell RTT, FR 50" LED Bar, Lift Rods, Mantec Snorkel, C-TEK Dual batt system, 270 Ostrichwing, Maxtrax, TXG Rock Sliders, IIDtool, shelf

Got my hands on this bit of gold so now have to order a sheet of perspex to the exact dimensions. then have to heat and shape to the window's curvature. This will be fitted/ removed as needed when the trailer is in tow. Will post updates as to how I go with this.
    Please do so, very interested !!!
    Discovery 1 1996 V8i (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

I've just done a trip to central and southern Namibia, towing an Imagine caravan/trailer. I made up a stone rash shield out of an old Tourneau cover that I attached to the bakkie bumper with cable ties and attached to the A frame with bungy cord. It really worked. No damage at all on either the bakkie or the van. We travelled about 1350kms on Namibia's gravel roads. I only had to use 4x4 once on a soft sand spot on the D707 scenic route.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190430_090010.jpg 
Views:	311 
Size:	322.8 KB 
ID:	527889   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190430_090016.jpg 
Views:	278 
Size:	194.1 KB 
ID:	527890  

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EdH For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EdH View Post
    I've just done a trip to central and southern Namibia, towing an Imagine caravan/trailer. I made up a stone rash shield out of an old Tourneau cover that I attached to the bakkie bumper with cable ties and attached to the A frame with bungy cord. It really worked. No damage at all on either the bakkie or the van. We travelled about 1350kms on Namibia's gravel roads. I only had to use 4x4 once on a soft sand spot on the D707 scenic route.
    That looks pretty good! Well done... Need to figure out how to attach that type setup to a car with factory rear bumper... OR..... this is a reason to get a rear bumper
    Rob,

That looks pretty good! Well done... Need to figure out how to attach that type setup to a car with factory rear bumper... OR..... this is a reason to get a rear bumper
    This is my biggest problem too... the Amarok bumper narrows in, and is narrower than the rear wheels, so whatever gets fitted, needs to stick out a bit.
    2015 VW Amarok 4motion Auto
    2011 Conqueror Companion

Some of you are missing the point, it's not just for rear window protection; it's rear window, rear of vehicle, rear lights, paint, reversing cameras and or sensors and protection of trailer, etc.

And if a open trailer- protection of what's in the trailer. I.e. a expensive 4x4 being recovered and carried from far or in my case expensive motorbikes or the Rhino. My bike trailer I have extended the front wall of the trailer with 40mm pvc drain pipe and have fitted shade cloth, extending the wall high enough to protect the bikes in the trailer, but wind still flows freely through. (still lower than the vehicle roof, a cruiser 76)

My 4x4 trailer I normal fit shade cloth across the front to protect both vehicles from damage.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/05/09 at 12:12 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    Some of you are missing the point, it's not just for rear window protection; it's rear window, rear of vehicle, rear lights, paint, reversing cameras and or sensors and protection of trailer, etc.

And if a open trailer- protection of what's in the trailer. I.e. a expensive 4x4 being recovered and carried from far or in my case expensive motorbikes or the Rhino. My bike trailer I have extended the front wall of the trailer with 40mm pvc drain pipe and have fitted shade cloth, extending the wall high enough to protect the bikes in the trailer, but wind still flows freely through. (still lower than the vehicle roof, a cruiser 76)

My 4x4 trailer I normal fit shade cloth across the front to protect both vehicles from damage.
    I think it goes without saying that all parts of the rear of vehicle, the contents of the trailer and the trailer itself need to be protected but you sir, with all due respect seem to have missed the title of this post - it is all about the window Refer to post #5 where the window protection is additional to the canvas [insert shade cloth] cover for front of the trailer.

Just remember, not everyone on this forum has a aftermarket rear bumper where they can mount a strip of canvas or attach a horizontal protector to fully protect both vehicles so this is a quest for alternative options.
    Rob,

title of post:- Stones, Trailers & Rear windows.

I just see no point in only to protecting the window, when that is only part of the problem. when you can fix the whole problem.

Living by the coast, a stone chip that takes the steel protection away from the 4x4 and trailer, and rust starts, it's not a immediate problem but still a major problem.

I tow trailers all the time, so speak from experience.

When I towed with my little Isuzu many years ago, I cable tied those rubber floor mats to the bumper before each trip, that worked well and cheap. it work well in preventing "broken rear windows" and other parts that must not be mentioned in this post.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/05/10 at 12:48 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    FOR SALE
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit

Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    title of post:- Stones, Trailers & Rear windows.

I just see no point in only to protecting the window, when that is only part of the problem. when you can fix the whole problem.

Living by the coast, a stone chip that takes the steel protection away from the 4x4 and trailer, and rust starts, it's not a immediate problem but still a major problem.

I tow trailers all the time, so speak from experience.

When I towed with my little Isuzu many years ago, I cable tied those rubber flour mats to the bumper before each trip, that worked well and cheap. it work well in preventing "broken rear windows" and other parts that must not be mentioned in this post.
    Pick any mainstream SUV/ 4x4 in this case I'll pick a Toyota & Isuzu. How would you propose to fix the whole problem? where would you connect these rubber mats? Keep in mind that the general population does not have aftermarket rear bumpers neither are they willing to drill holes in their existing bumpers.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Fortuner-2.4-VRZ-2.7SRZ-4x4-with-Optional-TRD-Sportivo-Package-Back-e1507284832350-630x417.jpg 
Views:	127 
Size:	81.9 KB 
ID:	528068Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Isuzu-MU-X-Rear-View-Image-GD1082.jpg 
Views:	129 
Size:	110.1 KB 
ID:	528069

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/10 at 12:53 PM.
    Rob,

Agree the floor mats I used in the eighties, it served its purpose. But too messy and complicated and no way to fit onto most of my 4x4's.

Now I just do what DETOUR-GP suggested in his second post. Shade cloth on the trailer,,,, for me that's the answer. It solves most flicked stone problems.

Don't get complicated, you don't need a frame or fancy contraption, a simple piece of 40% shade cloth, using those bungee stretch cords with hooks. Fitted across the front of the trailer, this allows wind and dust to blow through, but stones hit the shade cloth and flop down, (as long as the shade cloth is not tight against a trailer wall or window). The shade cloth from experience must not be tight like a trampoline, but loosely fitted across the trailer, so the stones hit and flop down and not bounce back onto the tow vehicle.

My bike trailer the shade-cloth is fitted permanently and the luggage 4x4 trailer I fit when I need it. However the roads these days are covered in small stones, it is not just on the gravel roads you need protection from, due to the constant roadwork's and no maintenance on the road edges, the road surface is covered in stones. And this is where you are travelling at speed, so a flicked stone can do most of the damage.

I am now planning to fit a shade cloth permanently onto the 4x4 trailer, but it must be easy to remove and not get in the way, as they can get dusty. Just shade cloth, cable ties and bungee chords, (clip on clip off). A good shake normally gets rid of most of the dust and at home a simple hose down and it's clean as new.
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/05/10 at 02:59 PM.
    FOR SALE

Pick any mainstream SUV/ 4x4 in this case I'll pick a Toyota & Isuzu. How would you propose to fix the whole problem? where would you connect these rubber mats? Keep in mind that the general population does not have aftermarket rear bumpers neither are they willing to drill holes in their existing bumpers.
    Did you have a look underneath your bumber? You might be able to attach a contraption at the bumber's steel structure or the mounts, where it is attached to the chassies.
    Otherwise, if you got a drop plate on your tow bar, you could also mount a structure at that. There usually are solutions that don't require drilling holes into your plastic bumper. A little technical minded thinking and one should find a way to do it. Otherwise maybe get advise from some workshop where they still make stuff and not just fit parts.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

OR..... this is a reason to get a rear bumper
    You know you want one

If you tow a caravan/trailer you have a towbar so this should work on majority of vehicles

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t=#post3205941

Name:	Stone flap 1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	528133
    Cobus
    Land Cruiser 200 4.6
    Imagine Comfortvan

21. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to saskia For This Useful Post:

I use a combination of oversized mudflaps and a horizontal canvas piece between my Fortuner and the Caravan.

I made two hangers that bolt onto the chassis and drop down, and to that I have a long piece of angle that used 4 bolts to attach to these hangers.

This serves as my attachment point for the canvas.

The canvas really keeps all the stones down. I think if a stone hits an angled part of the Van, it would not bounce back, but if you have a parallel surface like the nose box down low, it creates the perfect angle to hit your back window.

I would love to get rid of the horizontal canvas, but for now it works great. George's flaps are even better as per his link.

I have had only 3 very small stone marks on the van in about 1000km of gravel with speeds up to 80km/h.

Cheers

Grumbles
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	176 
Size:	462.5 KB 
ID:	528138   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	194 
Size:	342.2 KB 
ID:	528139   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	179 
Size:	344.2 KB 
ID:	528140   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	190 
Size:	322.5 KB 
ID:	528141   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5.jpg 
Views:	186 
Size:	372.4 KB 
ID:	528142  
    Last edited by Grumbles; 2019/05/11 at 02:55 PM.
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #18 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

23. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Grumbles For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by saskia View Post
    If you tow a caravan/trailer you have a towbar so this should work on majority of vehicles

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...t=#post3205941

Name:	Stone flap 1.jpg 
Views:	198 
Size:	79.3 KB 
ID:	528133
    Yes I would have said the same but the LR Discovery 3/4 has a factory removable (gooseneck type) tow bar so unfortunately no place to mount it on there.

Although, I love Grumbles' idea!!!!!

Last edited by DETOUR-GP; 2019/05/11 at 05:43 PM.
    Rob,

Thanks, although the canvas stone guard not really my idea but I did tweak it quite a bit to where it is now.

The oversize mudflaps also not mine.

But the hangers off the chassis is mine

***side note*** I did recently have a slight mishap and reversed onto the mudflap (yes I knew it would happen and should have removed them after the trip.)

Anyway, it ripped them off and bent the angle and both hangers.

I have subsequently had new hangers laser cut from 4mm steel, which will be easier to weld proper (I'm a real amateur welder) and also are shorter.

Will post pics in July once the new ones are in place and done.

Grumbles
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    2008 Fortuner 3.0 D-4D 4x4 "Sushi the Tuna"
    2018 Baobab 4 - B1543 "Nala"

Bacon fact #18 - Bacon is Healthier than Crystal Meth!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast