MediaRelease: New Land Rover Defender to complete final phase of testing in Africa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default New Land Rover Defender to complete final phase of testing in Africa

Pretoria, 30 April 2019 – To celebrate World Land Rover Day, Land Rover has announced plans for the new Defender to complete a final phase of field testing with Tusk Trust, on location in Kenya.

A Defender prototype wearing a unique camouflage will experience life at the Borana Conservancy as part of Land Rover’s 15-year partnership with Tusk Trust.

The prototype will tow heavy loads, wade through rivers and carry supplies across unforgiving terrain in a series of real-world trials at the 14,000-hectare reserve.

By the time the new Defender makes its public debut later this year, it will have passed more than 45,000 individual tests in some of the most extreme environments on earth. Land Rover engineers have taken the test fleet to the 50-degree heat of the desert, the sub 40-degree cold of the Arctic, as well as up to 10,000ft altitude of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado to ensure the new Defender will take everyday life in its stride, for even its most adventurous customers.

Nick Rogers, Executive Director, Product Engineering, Jaguar Land Rover, said: “In addition to the extensive simulation and rig testing, we’ve driven new Defender 1.2 million kilometres across all terrains and in extreme climates to ensure that it is the toughest and most capable Land Rover ever made. The incredible opportunity to put it to the test in the field, supporting operations at the Borana Conservancy in Kenya, with Tusk, will allow our engineers to verify that we are meeting this target as we enter the final phase of our development programme.”

With on-road dynamics honed at the Nürburgring facility in Germany and all-terrain credentials tested on the muddy roads of Eastnor, UK, the rocky trails of Moab in Utah, and the sand dunes of Dubai, the new 4x4 promises to bring unparalleled breadth of capability and new levels of comfort and driveability to the Defender family.

The new Defender has been designed and developed in the UK, at Gaydon, home to Land Rover’s world-class design, engineering and testing facilities. The new home of global Defender production will be Land Rover’s recently opened state-of-the-art manufacturing facility in Nitra, Slovakia.

Land Rover has been an official partner of Tusk Trust wildlife conservation charity for 15 years, helping to reach some of the world’s most remote locations. News of the testing initiative has been announced to mark World Land Rover Day, which is celebrated on 30 April every year to mark the world premiere of the original Land Rover at the Amsterdam Motor Show on this day in 1948.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_Defender_WLD_30.04.19_01.jpg 
Views:	506 
Size:	155.8 KB 
ID:	527115   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_Defender_WLRD_30.04.19_02.jpg 
Views:	502 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	527116   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_Defender_WLRD_30.04.19_03.jpg 
Views:	541 
Size:	202.8 KB 
ID:	527117  

Default Re: New Land Rover Defender to complete final phase of testing in Africa

extensive tests, what is strange is not a single test in Oz or ZA: shows you what markets they deem not/important

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LR_WLRD_Infographic_30.jpg 
Views:	385 
Size:	310.5 KB 
ID:	527152
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Default Re: New Land Rover Defender to complete final phase of testing in Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    extensive tests, what is strange is not a single test in Oz or ZA: shows you what markets they deem not/important

New Land Rover Defender to complete final phase of testing in Africa

Pretoria, 30 April 2019 – To celebrate World Land Rover Day, Land Rover has announced plans for the new Defender to complete a final phase of field testing with Tusk Trust, on location in Kenya.

... as Ive often found and commonly relate ...
    these expeditions of new age Land Rovers
    normaly have 1 or more 130s in attendence
    ... set back, away from the cameras ...
    ... Clandestine Guardians of The Force so to speak ...

...I just think it must be comforting...
    in the quieter corners of our darkest continent
    ... to know there s a Dreadnought or two
    ... always tending The Fleet ...
    Last edited by BushNomad; 2019/04/30 at 06:35 PM.
    * The Monarch of the Glen *http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...1&d=1507751251
    Land Rover Owners dont idle long ...
    2002 130 DC HCPU //‘81 R-Rvr Classic 2-Dr 3.5L V8.
    ‘75 Series3 88 PUP.//‘17 Metalian Mini (Home from Home)

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post

I don't think the tests have anything to do with countries or markets - purely scenario testing, and from that sheet they've taken it to pretty much every scenario. The only test outstanding is durability over a period of time; a test that will be done in Kenya where they have the perfect platform for it. I wouldn't be surprised if Kingsley quietly also gets one.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Come on Land Rover, unwrap the bloody car.
    Kan nie meer wag nie!!!!!!!
    Koos Best
    Land Rover Discovery3 TDV6 S.
    VW T5 D/cab 4 Motion with slide on camper

Quote Originally Posted by Koos Best View Post
    Come on Land Rover, unwrap the bloody car.
    Kan nie meer wag nie!!!!!!!

I found this all dressed up in Tusk clothing. I do not know if it had been seen before, it is the first time for me.

Now do you remember when you Regard and my self share the comments from the various DP's whom saw the vehicle at the Lisbon DP conference.
    I recall the comments were the front looks similar to a G wagon and from the windscreen back is Defender and I still think that there will be quarter lights windows on the roof like the old defender and Disco 1 and 2.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post

I found this all dressed up in Tusk clothing. I do not know if it had been seen before, it is the first time for me.

Now do you remember when you Regard and my self share the comments from the various DP's whom saw the vehicle at the Lisbon DP conference.
    I recall the comments were the front looks similar to a G wagon and from the windscreen back is Defender and I still think that there will be quarter lights windows on the roof like the old defender and Disco 1 and 2.
    Yes, as I stated on the other thread, I believe the mere fact that they have shared these photos with the public more than 5 months before the now official unveiling date of September at the Frankfurt Show, should be reason enough to convince every one that the body in these photos are anything but the finished product.

After years of super-secrecy around Defender, there is no way JLR will water down the anticipation by releasing a photo as above.

I believe this is just another “Mule Body” for the final tests with some thing completely different to be revealed in September.

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    Yes, as I stated on the other thread, I believe the mere fact that they have shared these photos with the public more than 5 months before the now official unveiling date of September at the Frankfurt Show, should be reason enough to convince every one that the body in these photos are anything but the finished product.

After years of super-secrecy around Defender, there is no way JLR will water down the anticipation by releasing a photo as above.

I believe this is just another “Mule Body” for the final tests with some thing completely different to be revealed in September.
    100% agree this car is going to be nowhere like the Disco3/4 at all, it is a totally different cat and we dont even know if it is on the ladder frame chassis.

Gerry Mc Govern has designed this car to be the most advanced 4x4 ever to be produced in the world. One million two hundred thousand kilometers road testing and still not finished. The 10 bar Rolls Royce Cullinan did not do a quarter of that.

http://www.overlandworx.com

Take Care
    Stay frosty (Be alert at all times: We Live in a war zone)
    Peter Street

2013 Disco 4 SDV6 HSE 8sp AKA " Gr8 White Induna"
    2019 Disco 5 TD6 HSE AKA Disco V

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    100% agree this car is going to be nowhere like the Disco3/4 at all, it is a totally different cat and we dont even know if it is on the ladder frame chassis.
    it's definitely not on a ladder-frame chassis. LR themselves said it's based on their new monocoque architecture
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Regard View Post
    Yes, as I stated on the other thread, I believe the mere fact that they have shared these photos with the public more than 5 months before the now official unveiling date of September at the Frankfurt Show, should be reason enough to convince every one that the body in these photos are anything but the finished product.After years of super-secrecy around Defender, there is no way JLR will water down the anticipation by releasing a photo as above.I believe this is just another “Mule Body” for the final tests with some thing completely different to be revealed in September.
    Totally agree!!

I truly hope Regard is right.

After all the promises that doesn't represent the icon.
    '07 Land Rover Defender 110 TDI 300 Kalahari (Meisiekind²)

84' Land Rover Defender 110 V8 4-speed Hardtop (Meisiekind) Sold after 12 years of fun and hard work

The only thing needed for evil to triumph is for a good man to do nothing.

Not seen one Defender in those tests, why call it a Defender, should of rather called it somthing else, and left the Defender name out of it
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

For the same reason a new plastic Hilux is still called Hilux. Evolution.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

I am sorry if I missed this somewhere, but will the new Defender stick to the Solid Axle setup front and rear, or go the independent route like all other LR and RR vehicles?

The G-Wagon and Wrangler are still sticking to their guns, hopefully LR will too?
    2016 Ford Everest 3.2Tdci XLT AWD A/T - Mods have begun!
    2010 BMW 320i AT (SWAMBO)

Ex: 1998 Land Rover Defender 300Tdi - ek huil nogsteeds myself aan die slaap
    Ex: 2014 Ford Ranger 2.2 DC 4x4

Always go for the deepest mud, muddy stories make the best memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Henko88 View Post
    I am sorry if I missed this somewhere, but will the new Defender stick to the Solid Axle setup front and rear, or go the independent route like all other LR and RR vehicles?

The G-Wagon and Wrangler are still sticking to their guns, hopefully LR will too?
    Nope, independent suspension as the rest of the stable. In reality not much of a difference ito actual day-to-day use.

One would have thought they would have tested in Africa first, perhaps with African testers by which time, after ironing out the snags, testing elsewhere would have been irrelevant and they would have been left with a vehicle that one would expect and want
    Last edited by Estee; 2019/05/07 at 08:59 AM.
    There is no such thing as inclement weather, only poor selection of clothing.... or Vehicle

2010 Hummer H3 5.3lt V8, 300 HP, FDL, RDL, CDL, TC and 4:1 Low Range

Discovery and Range Rovers: SOLD: enough is enough

Quote Originally Posted by Henko88 View Post

Merc actually "broke".. The new G has an independent front suspension.. Solid rear though, and 3x diff locks.

Sorry, is it just me or does the new Defender look like a Disco 3 to anyone else too??
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Sorry, is it just me or does the new Defender look like a Disco 3 to anyone else too??
    Test mule.

Body disguised to openly test running gear.

It is widely believed that the first time we see it will be at the launch.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast