Hilux 2.4GD6 Manual vs Automatic

Default Hilux 2.4GD6 Manual vs Automatic

Good Afternoon

I am about to pull the trigger on a Hilux 2.4GD6 Xtra Cab. Its just a question of manual or auto. I know Toyota claim fuel consumption on the auto is the same as the manual but I am looking for feedback here from current owners. Its a R18K price difference, that also accounts for a few accessories.

Thanks

Default Re: Hilux 2.4GD6 Manual vs Automatic

Is the problem that you can't have both the accessories and the autobox? Why not have both?

They can't say it's the same because at the end of the day it comes down to driving style, if you drive the manual like you stole it then the Auto might be lighter on juice. If you try drive both frugally the manual will probably win but not by much. Then let's say you get the manual but now you add 250kgs of accessories what do you think that is going to do to your fuel consumption anyway?

You should rather say to yourself, is my driving pleasure going to be enhanced by the auto or will the manual be a pleasure to drive. Then you get accessories anyway.
    Regards,

William

D4 v8 --Sold

Quote Originally Posted by Murray Walker
    I don't make mistakes. I make prophecies which immediately turn out to be wrong.

Go test both.

I personally HATED the 3 Auto 2,8 GD6 Auto's I have driven, they hunt for gears and had this stupid gear down thing when you approach a stop street.
    That's my personal experience.
    To take it further, also MY opinion.......if you want an auto Bakkie, there's only one - The Amarok.
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

I've had the 2.4 4x4 DC auto for just on a year and am really happy with it ............ town driving, open road and towing a Metalian Mini. This is my first auto, so I'm unable to pass any comment on others. Overall, very happy and would buy again if I had to.
    As for consumption : just clocked 9k km in 11 months mixed driving. Average consumption to date (actual ie not based on onboard computer) is 9.1 lt / 100 km.
    Good luck with your decision!
    Sam
    ZS1SAM
    V5/ZS1SAM

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    Go test both.

I personally HATED the 3 Auto 2,8 GD6 Auto's I have driven, they hunt for gears and had this stupid gear down thing when you approach a stop street.
    That's my personal experience.
    To take it further, also MY opinion.......if you want an auto Bakkie, there's only one - The Amarok.
    Petri, there is a new kid on the block .......10 speed auto with low range and backseat airbags. A beaut!!
    Last edited by Buddie; 2019/04/26 at 08:44 AM.

2016 Ford Ranger 4x4 Auto
    2010 Mitshubishi Pajero SWB - Sold
    2015 Toyota Fortuner Epic 4x4 Auto
    2014 Echo Kavango

" A meal without wine is called breakfast"

The most important thing about a Hilux is having one!
    Overkill - isn't!

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Uys For This Useful Post:

My auto 2.4 is about 0.5 Litre per 100km heavier on fuel than my previous manual.
    Any minority that advocates for gun control is either wilfully ignorant, or has never opened a history book.

The problem with collective punishment - is that sooner or later you're part of the collective.

Thanks for the feedback, will test drive both next week!

My Auto is on 9km per Litre after 8500 kms city traffic and a little Highway everyday, hopefully it will get a little better as the time goes on

FWIW, I get 0.7 KM/L better on my manual 2.8 Hilux than on my 2.8 Auto Fortuner. I appreciate that they are different vehicles and not the 2.4 you are specifically asking about, but I believe the fuel consumption difference in my vehicles is about average for auto vs manual.

Ok, so after a lot of research, reading etc I have decided on the 2.4GD6 Xtra Cab Automatic. There are a few reasons:
    • Comfort of driving in traffic.
    • Coupled with cruise control on the open road, driving will be a relaxed.
    • After a lot of research on the auto box it seems its a brilliant box and comes out better than the manual.
    • Can claim the VAT back.

I take delivery next week and have added the following:
    • Cruise Control
    • Bullbar
    • Removable Towbar
    • Over Fender Mouldings
    • Body Side Mouldings
    • Rubberising
    • Rhinocab
    • Escape Seat Covers

I also plan to kit the vehicle out with a dual battery system, drawer system in the load bin and some other gadgets.
    I would have liked to have got a 4 x 4 but unfortunately the 2.8GD6 Auto 4 x 4 is a bit out of my price range right now and 4 x 4 is not available in 2.4 Xtra Cab.
    This vehicle is my only vehicle and will get used for both work and weekends, towing my camper trailer as well travelling for work. So I will post as I go along on how I find this vehicle with regards to comfort, driving, fuel consumption etc good or bad as I struggled to find much info on this type of thing. So hopefully it will help someone else.

Lets see how this goes