Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

Good evening. My 2015 Ford Ranger 4x4 let me down in Botswana regarding the 4wd system. I found out the hard way that this system is complicated to work on and fix. Barloworld Equipment in Maun (Ford service agents) tried their best but in the end reckoned that I need a new transfer motor at BWP 10 000 (R14 000). The part could only arrive in 3 business days. In the end they manually got the transfer case to neutral (not an easy task with the electronics) so that I could drive back to RSA. Had to cut my trip short. What Toyota models can I look for for overlanding with less complicated 4x4 systems and electricary but also providing basic comforts for city driving? This was the 5th overland trip with the Ford but after this issue I am not sure that this 4x4 system with the fancy switches is the way to go.
    Chris

Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungie For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

I would say look at a V6 Hilux or Fortuner.
    Should be able to pick up a 2012-2014 model with around 100kkm in your budget.
    Fortuners tend to be a little cheaper/lower mileage for the same price - depends on your needs.

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

120 Prado V6, spend a bit on new water pump, fuel pump, radiator, suspension upgrades, tyres, roofrack......comes standard with a 190l tank..........or a FJ Cruiser...
    FJC - Just Cruising

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dirtshark For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    120 Prado V6, spend a bit on new water pump, fuel pump, radiator, suspension upgrades, tyres, roofrack......comes standard with a 190l tank..........or a FJ Cruiser...
    Thanks. I would personally prefer a petrol this time - seems that there is less that can go wrong. I know an Oom that has been driving a Prado V6 4.0 since he bought it new in I think 2006. He says the only issues were a water pump that needed to be replaced as well as the fuel pump. Given he has not taken it offroad much. How do these 4x4 systems work? Are they reliable?

I like the FJ Cruiser. Will probably stretch my budget for a nice model FJ or Prado.
    Chris

Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

120 Prado V6, spend a bit on new water pump, fuel pump, radiator, suspension upgrades, tyres, roofrack......comes standard with a 190l tank..........
    I agree with this.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    Thanks. I would personally prefer a petrol this time - seems that there is less that can go wrong. I know an Oom that has been driving a Prado V6 4.0 since he bought it new in I think 2006. He says the only issues were a water pump that needed to be replaced as well as the fuel pump. Given he has not taken it offroad much. How do these 4x4 systems work? Are they reliable?

I like the FJ Cruiser. Will probably stretch my budget for a nice model FJ or Prado.
    Both with a kortstokkie, Prado is AWD and FJ is part time - both extremely reliable IMO.
    FJC - Just Cruising

Good evening. My 2015 Ford Ranger 4x4 let me down in Botswana regarding the 4wd system. I found out the hard way that this system is complicated to work on and fix. Barloworld Equipment in Maun (Ford service agents) tried their best but in the end reckoned that I need a new transfer motor at BWP 10 000 (R14 000). The part could only arrive in 3 business days. In the end they manually got the transfer case to neutral (not an easy task with the electronics) so that I could drive back to RSA. Had to cut my trip short. What Toyota models can I look for for overlanding with less complicated 4x4 systems and electricary but also providing basic comforts for city driving? This was the 5th overland trip with the Ford but after this issue I am not sure that this 4x4 system with the fancy switches is the way to go.
    if all else fails and it was stuck in 4x4, you could have removed the front drive shaft . to be honest all modern vehicles have electronics, we had the situation where we went thru a river with a 2012 D4D and the turbo controller got wet and blew in Nam, all the dealers could assist, but lead time of 2 weeks to get the part, even stopping at scrapyards, we realised that the same year and make vehicles didnt use the same components (ones sold in Nam different than SA sold) therefore drove 4000km in limp mode...
    -

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Sennin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Sennin View Post
    if all else fails and it was stuck in 4x4, you could have removed the front drive shaft . to be honest all modern vehicles have electronics, we had the situation where we went thru a river with a 2012 D4D and the turbo controller got wet and blew in Nam, all the dealers could assist, but lead time of 2 weeks to get the part, even stopping at scrapyards, we realised that the same year and make vehicles didnt use the same components (ones sold in Nam different than SA sold) therefore drove 4000km in limp mode...
    Oh no! Then the lead time of 3 days for the part in Maun, Botswana is not that bad. I guess in that sense the older models 76 series Cruisers are superior in that sense. Our HOD drives one. He says that it is a pain to drive on the daily commute and in town but that it is superior for overlanding. He has had some issues but nothing that couldn't be fixed by some local mechanic up in Africa.
    Chris

He says that it is a pain to drive on the daily commute and in town but that it is superior for overlanding. He has had some issues but nothing that couldn't be fixed by some local mechanic up in Africa.
    I can't imagine why an LC76 is a pain to drive in town? Did he say WHAT was a pain?
    Percivamus

Look around, you will be surprized. The petrol prices scare people and some good deals do come up. I picked up my FJ, 2013 with 120,000km for R299,900 a year ago. All I added was a long range tank, roof rack and towbar. Models towards the end of 2013 comes with dual fuel tank and crawl mode. Before that I had the 4.0L V6 DC Hilux for 9 years. Also an amazing vehicle, no issues. I replaced the water pump at 180,000km as preventative maintenance. Other than normal services, only batteries x 2, tyres and brakes x 1. Sold on 209,000km.

I really enjoy the FJ. It is a fun and very capable 4x4...never boring... Avoid the boy racers at robots...you can beat them... but just don't...it confuses everybody....
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/04/30 at 08:41 AM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I can't imagine why an LC76 is a pain to drive in town? Did he say WHAT was a pain?
    He didn't specify anything apart that it is a pain to park at the office parking. Can't imagine it being worse than a bakkie although it is possibly a bit of a donkey?
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    Look around, you will be surprized. The petrol prices scare people and some good deals do come up. I picked up my FJ, 2013 with 120,000km for R299,900 a year ago. All I added was a long range tank, roof rack and towbar. Models towards the end of 2013 comes with dual fuel tank and crawl mode. Before that I had the 4.0L V6 DC Hilux for 9 years. Also an amazing vehicle, no issues. I replaced the water pump at 180,000km as preventative maintenance. Other than normal services, only batteries x 2, tyres and brakes x 1. Sold on 209,000km.

I really enjoy the FJ. It is a fun and very capable 4x4...never boring... Avoid the boy racers at robots...you can beat them... but just don't...it confuses everybody....
    Thank you. What is the cost of a typical service and what preventative maintenance should one take?
    Chris

Thanks. Do you have a ballpark figure for the water pump and fuel pump?
    Chris

He didn't specify anything apart that it is a pain to park at the office parking. Can't imagine it being worse than a bakkie although it is possibly a bit of a donkey?
    A set of wheel spacers would reduce the turning circle by allowing more adjustment on the steering stops.
    And if he bought the TDV8 it can't be a donkey.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A set of wheel spacers would reduce the turning circle by allowing more adjustment on the steering stops.
    And if he bought the TDV8 it can't be a donkey.
    It is the 4.2 D.
    Chris

It is the 4.2 D.
    OK, it's a donkey. But it will probably never break.
    Percivamus

Thank you. What is the cost of a typical service and what preventative maintenance should one take?
    I did the water pump at 180,000. They do sometimes start giving issues after 200,000km. Only some but I would rather do the pump and not heads etc. if it should overheat as a result of the pump failing.

The pump on the V6 Hilux in 2015 was R3,455 for the pump and R2,195 for labour. This was inclusive of VAT.

The quote I got from Toyota for the 130,000km service on the FJ. I need to take it in soon. It comes to R1,355.01 incl. I have asked them to add changing the gearbox oil (partial 4L) and the full quote for this and service then comes to R2,819.88. The 130,000km service is basically just a oil service on the V6.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

When in doubt, paint it black

Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    I did the water pump at 180,000. They do sometimes start giving issues after 200,000km. Only some but I would rather do the pump and not heads etc. if it should overheat as a result of the pump failing.

The pump on the V6 Hilux in 2015 was R3,455 for the pump and R2,195 for labour. This was inclusive of VAT.

The quote I got from Toyota for the 130,000km service on the FJ. I need to take it in soon. It comes to R1,355.01 incl. I have asked them to add changing the gearbox oil (partial 4L) and the full quote for this and service then comes to R2,819.88. The 130,000km service is basically just a oil service on the V6.
    Thank you for the information. That is very reasonable. I am almost convinced now. It just seems that there is less that can go wrong with a petrol 4x4. My dad still has his 2002 Toyota Condor 2.4i 4x4 and apart from normal service the only items he had to replace was the radiator and alternator. Vehicle is now approaching 400 000 km.
    Chris

Thank you for the information. That is very reasonable. I am almost convinced now. It just seems that there is less that can go wrong with a petrol 4x4. My dad still has his 2002 Toyota Condor 2.4i 4x4 and apart from normal service the only items he had to replace was the radiator and alternator. Vehicle is now approaching 400 000 km.
    To be honest I know somebody with a 3000D 4x4 Condor that has done 500,000kms but THAT is a donkey.........
    Percivamus

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast