Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k - Page 2





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 41
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Age
    41
    Posts
    1,705
    Thanked: 102

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Kooskop View Post
    I did the water pump at 180,000. They do sometimes start giving issues after 200,000km. Only some but I would rather do the pump and not heads etc. if it should overheat as a result of the pump failing.

    The pump on the V6 Hilux in 2015 was R3,455 for the pump and R2,195 for labour. This was inclusive of VAT.

    The quote I got from Toyota for the 130,000km service on the FJ. I need to take it in soon. It comes to R1,355.01 incl. I have asked them to add changing the gearbox oil (partial 4L) and the full quote for this and service then comes to R2,819.88. The 130,000km service is basically just a oil service on the V6.
    Did the gearbox oil change also include the filter ?

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,260
    Thanked: 1009

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Greenhorn View Post
    Did the gearbox oil change also include the filter ?
    It has a metal filter that I believe can be cleaned but get this...the oil in the FJ auto box is for life.... I do not buy that. The partial change they are doing is not a complete change, only 4L. I will do it now and again with the 140,000km service. The oil should then be fairly "fresh". My FJ works hard and is only used on trips towing the Bush Lapa.

    EDIT - I have seen a article on this forum HERE of a FJ in America with 700,000km and still going strong on the same gearbox oil...
    Last edited by Kooskop; 2019/04/30 at 01:19 PM.
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

    When in doubt, paint it black

  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kooskop For This Useful Post:


  4. #23
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Kathu
    Age
    58
    Posts
    8,378
    Thanked: 1929

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    The FJ did it again. Impressed all the way on our recent Road to Hell trip.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

  5. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    PTA
    Age
    34
    Posts
    50
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    The FJ is an amazing car. Owned one for a few years and traveled extensively in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. Had zero problems.

    I traded it in on a 200 a few months back, as I needed a bit more space (my parents are a bit older and sometimes travel with us). The 200 has plenty of electronics which, if they go wrong, can be very irritating. Put it in low range the other day in Kruger (just to test the settings). When I tried to switch it back to high range, it didn't want to switch back ( and numerous lights came on on the dash wrt engine management etc.). Long story short, I disconnected the batteries, which somehow reset the vehicle back to high range without any dashboard errors. The center diff lock also had a problem disengaging at times. Took it to a specialist but they found no apparent errors.

    When the electronics work, then everything is great, but if it gives issues (especially in the middle of nowhere), then it can be extremely frustrating. I miss the mechanical "short stick" of the FJ to shift between low and high range- much simpler. The 200 is a dream to drive, but if an electronic error occurs.... this probably applies to many other vehicles such as the D4, Range Rover, etc.

    My 200 is currently showing a PCS error - eish (can drive as normal, but I suspect that the precollision detection system is down).
    Last edited by Danie Pienaar; 2019/04/30 at 05:23 PM.

  6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danie Pienaar For This Useful Post:


  7. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Danie Pienaar View Post
    The FJ is an amazing car. Owned one for a few years and traveled extensively in South Africa, Botswana and Namibia. Had zero problems.

    I traded it in on a 200 a few months back, as I needed a bit more space (my parents are a bit older and sometimes travel with us). The 200 has plenty of electronics which, if they go wrong, can be very irritating. Put it in low range the other day in Kruger (just to test the settings). When I tried to switch it back to high range, it didn't want to switch back ( and numerous lights came on on the dash wrt engine management etc.). Long story short, I disconnected the batteries, which somehow reset the vehicle back to high range without any dashboard errors. The center diff lock also had a problem disengaging at times. Took it to a specialist but they found no apparent errors.

    When the electronics work, then everything is great, but if it gives issues (especially in the middle of nowhere), then it can be extremely frustrating. I miss the mechanical "short stick" of the FJ to shift between low and high range- much simpler. The 200 is a dream to drive, but if an electronic error occurs.... this probably applies to many other vehicles such as the D4, Range Rover, etc.

    My 200 is currently showing a PCS error - eish (can drive as normal, but I suspect that the precollision detection system is down).
    That is exactly the issue I had with my 2015 Ford Ranger in Botswana. The transfer motor actuator is stuck. Could only get it into 2wd by removing the motor with the solenoid and removing the actuator. Ford quoted me R18000 to replace as they cannot repair the motor. I want to avoid this issue.
    Chris

    Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

  8. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Malawi
    Posts
    871
    Thanked: 735

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Those 4x4 dials that replaced the 'manual' 4x4 engagement are diabolical, progress in reverse in my opinion.

  9. The Following User Says Thank You to tashtego9 For This Useful Post:


  10. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    35
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    I will second the FJ...

    Sold mine a few weeks ago on 116k km....needed a bigger car for the newest family member and his stuff. Didnt need to replace as much as a lightbulb on that car...just service it and put in petrol. Toyota services and parts are very reasonable, and had great service from every dealership that looked after it. Mine’s actually on the dealer floor for R309k...but I think they are being a bit optimistic.

    Dont be scared away by the fuel consumption: I got 9.6km/l loaded driving to Nam best, averaged about 8.5km/l on longer journeys and I dont hang around. Towing in LR can go down to 3km/l, but the peace of mind was worth it. Put a LR tank in and have fun. For two people it makes a great overlander/everyday car IMHO

  11. The Following User Says Thank You to Wjn For This Useful Post:


  12. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post
    I will second the FJ...

    Sold mine a few weeks ago on 116k km....needed a bigger car for the newest family member and his stuff. Didnt need to replace as much as a lightbulb on that car...just service it and put in petrol. Toyota services and parts are very reasonable, and had great service from every dealership that looked after it. Mine’s actually on the dealer floor for R309k...but I think they are being a bit optimistic.

    Dont be scared away by the fuel consumption: I got 9.6km/l loaded driving to Nam best, averaged about 8.5km/l on longer journeys and I dont hang around. Towing in LR can go down to 3km/l, but the peace of mind was worth it. Put a LR tank in and have fun. For two people it makes a great overlander/everyday car IMHO
    That is the only issue - space seeing that I have a 2 year old son. Will need to consider a trailer then for longer trips.
    Chris

    Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

  13. #29
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Location
    Paarl
    Age
    35
    Posts
    26
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    That is the only issue - space seeing that I have a 2 year old son. Will need to consider a trailer then for longer trips.

    Could probably work with one older child, but even so towing was great with it. Took a Echo 3 to Richterveld/Kgalagadi/Northern Cape solo with my 28 week pregnant wife...other than the frequent toilet breaks and the December heat it was great. Stable towing vehicle and never struggled. Dammit...maybe I should sell my wife’s car and buy another one...

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to Wjn For This Useful Post:


  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    54
    Posts
    6,260
    Thanked: 1009

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post
    Could probably work with one older child, but even so towing was great with it. Took a Echo 3 to Richterveld/Kgalagadi/Northern Cape solo with my 28 week pregnant wife...other than the frequent toilet breaks and the December heat it was great. Stable towing vehicle and never struggled. Dammit...maybe I should sell my wife’s car and buy another one...
    I know of quite a few people that sold or traded their FJ only to end up getting a FJ again later. That alone should say something....
    Michael (Kooskop) My naam is NIE Koos nie..
    Toyota FJ Cruiser
    Bush Lapa - 1st Miskruier B8, now B192
    BMW F800GS

    When in doubt, paint it black

  16. #31
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Why no mentions of any D4-D variants?
    Chris

    Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

  17. #32
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Age
    60
    Posts
    27
    Thanked: 13

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    Good evening. My 2015 Ford Ranger 4x4 let me down in Botswana regarding the 4wd system. I found out the hard way that this system is complicated to work on and fix. Barloworld Equipment in Maun (Ford service agents) tried their best but in the end reckoned that I need a new transfer motor at BWP 10 000 (R14 000). The part could only arrive in 3 business days. In the end they manually got the transfer case to neutral (not an easy task with the electronics) so that I could drive back to RSA. Had to cut my trip short. What Toyota models can I look for for overlanding with less complicated 4x4 systems and electricary but also providing basic comforts for city driving? This was the 5th overland trip with the Ford but after this issue I am not sure that this 4x4 system with the fancy switches is the way to go.
    One could also buy a landcruiser series 105gx - 4500 efi Petrol - these are good for 500000km and more - as a daily drive, consumption is 4,5km/l and 3,9 -5km /l offroad, depending on gear - 105 generally has 3 diff locks and tank capa ity of 135 l altho most have long range tanks fitted increasing to 230 to 270 liters - seen a few lately in approx 220- 250000km range well within your budget - rock solid, very comfortable, spacious and extremely capable truck - had a FJ - loved the drive, just was too small and hated the suicide doors
    Putta
    Landcruiser 105
    BL Miskruier B850

  18. #33
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Midrand
    Age
    58
    Posts
    16
    Thanked: 1

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Hey there,
    I bought a Prado V6 Petrol in 2006 purely for the bush.
    It now has 150 000km of bush trips on the clock.
    I have been through Botswana, Namibia and all over RSA towing my Companion.
    These Toyota's are real beasts and does go almost anywhere with a ton+ weight behind it.
    Keep in mind that they are thirsty beasts, 20 l/100km towing.
    I will highly recommend a Prado.
    Cheers
    Niko

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to Nikoj For This Useful Post:


  20. #34
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Struisbaai
    Age
    58
    Posts
    438
    Thanked: 586

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Nikoj View Post
    Hey there,
    I bought a Prado V6 Petrol in 2006 purely for the bush.
    It now has 150 000km of bush trips on the clock.
    I have been through Botswana, Namibia and all over RSA towing my Companion.
    These Toyota's are real beasts and does go almost anywhere with a ton+ weight behind it.
    Keep in mind that they are thirsty beasts, 20 l/100km towing.
    I will highly recommend a Prado.
    Cheers
    Niko
    Now there is the vehicle I would buy for overlanding/daily drive.
    Same engine as the FJ and you will have a LOT more space.And you will find a V6 Prado at a good price.
    A friend has a 120 Prado and he regularly tows a Bush Lapa through Botswana (Lots of sand).Has always come back with a huge smile on his face.
    Speak to Petri Oosthuizen to see if he has any on his books.
    2015 Land Cruiser 79 D/C V8 Diesel Turbo
    1983 Suzuki SJ 410 SOA.
    Bush Lapa Boskriek No 607 - Die Kriek

  21. #35
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    So I finally got the 4x4 in my bakkie fixed and went to test drive a FJ Cruiser this morning. 2013 model with about 90000 km. I really like it but there were some issues. The front seatbelt retractor is not working properly. The dealer said they will have this fixed but were there not a recall for this? Is the issue solved after the recall? Then there seems to be a slight fanbelt like noice when accelerating. It seemed to go away later. Then it seems that it is just my luck that the 4x4 was also not working - but I don't know if I was doing anything wrong. The sales person stated that it was working. When I changed the lever to 4L the dash would show that the traction control is off but the 4x4 light won't display. There is also some resistance, vibration and a gear grinding type noise when switching from N to 4L and back. I am not set on purchasing that specifc model - just went to test drive this model as it was the closest one to my home, but are these issues common or known issues? Judging from the condition of the vehicle and the undercarriage it seems that the 4x4 was never used.
    Chris

    Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

  22. #36
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,872
    Thanked: 484

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    So I finally got the 4x4 in my bakkie fixed and went to test drive a FJ Cruiser this morning. 2013 model with about 90000 km. I really like it but there were some issues. The front seatbelt retractor is not working properly. The dealer said they will have this fixed but were there not a recall for this? Is the issue solved after the recall? Then there seems to be a slight fanbelt like noice when accelerating. It seemed to go away later. Then it seems that it is just my luck that the 4x4 was also not working - but I don't know if I was doing anything wrong. The sales person stated that it was working. When I changed the lever to 4L the dash would show that the traction control is off but the 4x4 light won't display. There is also some resistance, vibration and a gear grinding type noise when switching from N to 4L and back. I am not set on purchasing that specifc model - just went to test drive this model as it was the closest one to my home, but are these issues common or known issues? Judging from the condition of the vehicle and the undercarriage it seems that the 4x4 was never used.
    Changing from 2H to 4H is easy, can be done at speeds up to 80 km/h. From 4H to 4L the FJ must be stationary and the the gearbox in N. Traction control disengages. If you change from 2H all the way to 4L it might take a few meters of driving before the 4x4 light comes on. I think it's due to the front hubs engaging. Same when changing from 2H to 4H, the light might not come on right away.
    There shouldn't be any grinding, unless the lever wasn't put all the way into 4L.
    If 4x4 hadn't been used in a long time, things might just be bit sticky.
    Difflock also works in 4L only, if I remember correctly. So does A-Track.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  23. The Following User Says Thank You to HugoNotte For This Useful Post:


  24. #37
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 24

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    Changing from 2H to 4H is easy, can be done at speeds up to 80 km/h. From 4H to 4L the FJ must be stationary and the the gearbox in N. Traction control disengages. If you change from 2H all the way to 4L it might take a few meters of driving before the 4x4 light comes on. I think it's due to the front hubs engaging. Same when changing from 2H to 4H, the light might not come on right away.
    There shouldn't be any grinding, unless the lever wasn't put all the way into 4L.
    If 4x4 hadn't been used in a long time, things might just be bit sticky.
    Difflock also works in 4L only, if I remember correctly. So does A-Track.
    Thank you. I take it that a top-up with transfer case oil will solve the stickiness?
    Chris

    Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

  25. #38
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Swakopmund
    Age
    49
    Posts
    2,872
    Thanked: 484

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Quote Originally Posted by Ungie View Post
    Thank you. I take it that a top-up with transfer case oil will solve the stickiness?
    In that case I would rather change the oil.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

  26. #39
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    32
    Posts
    129
    Thanked: 24

    Cool Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    So I got my new (used) FJ Cruiser today! 2013 model (with crawl control and OEM long range tank), upgraded LAS Profender suspension and Hella spots. 134k km. Also fitted a Frontrunner Roofrack before delivery. Desert Brown. Taking the beast to Mapungubwe tomorrow for a trip. Must say I am impressed by the built quality. Runs like clockwork.
    Chris

    Current - 2013 Toyota FJ Cruiser with some extras
    Ex - 2015 Ford Ranger XL Plus 4x4 D/C P/U RSI Canopy
    Ex - 2014 Suzuki Jimny - Amada Xtreme 40mm suspension upgrade and Eezi-awn k9 roofrack (sold )

  27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ungie For This Useful Post:


  28. #40
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Robertson/ Larissa, Greece
    Age
    55
    Posts
    4,690
    Thanked: 2147

    Default Re: Reliable overland Toyota for about R300k

    Congratulations! Enjoy it. One of my favourite Toys. Hope you have good service from it.
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

  29. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:


Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •