From west to east across the Makgadigadi Pans reserve

Default From west to east across the Makgadigadi Pans reserve

I am considering crossing into the Makgadigadi Pans Reserve via the Khumaga ferry on the western end of the reserve (off the B300), and then driving & camping across the reserve from west to east (T4A does show tracks across), eventually winding up at Khubu island. Has anybody done this and can offer some pearls of wisdom?

On the same trip it is my intention to cross the Chobe Forest Reserve from east to west, entering the reserve some 20kms south of Pandamatenga (again T4A show some tracks across) ending up at Savuti. Any advice on this stretch?

Dave Theron

Default From west to east across the Makgadigadi Pans reserve

Dave; not sure exactly where you want to turn off the B300 but Iím interested to hear about if anyone has done that recently. My experience, having one vehicle burn out on a rarely used track and almost dying in the bush, is to avoid them. I usually go to Kubu from the south near Rakops
    Last edited by TeriosGuy; 2019/04/29 at 02:28 PM.

Default Re: From west to east across the Makgadigadi Pans reserve

I know the feeling! My car burnt out at Mabalingwe due to an electrical fault.
    I will leave the B300 at S20 28 08.8 E24 29 53.5 and make for the Khumaga ferry at S20 28 21.2 E24 30 55.9 across the Boteti river to the western entrance of the Makgadigadi Reserve. The turnoff to the ferry is about 60kms from the turnoff from the A3 to the B300 (and about 82kms from Maun)

Is that a popular used track?

AFAIK it was not kosher to cross the pan as the tracks will never disappear and scar the pan forever. Only to use recognized tracks, T4A or not.

Or am I wrong?
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanMaree For This Useful Post:

Why would you want to attempt this? Adventure, short cut?

Those tracks showing on T4A are probably so overgrown you will not see the track even if you are standing on it. The eastern side of Makgadi NP is not well travelled!

I hope you have a Satphone because nobody will stumble on you should you run into trouble.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/04/30 at 07:52 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

Re leaving tracks: I know this applies to the Messum crater in Namibia which is covered in sensitive lichen, but didn't think it applied to Makgadigadi, which is salt & sand.
    Just doing this to explore!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave Theron For This Useful Post:

Sounds epic.

Take pics and let us know how it goes.
    Andrew

2010 Mazda BT-50 3.0 CRDi

In April we drove pretty much directly south from Gweta to the north western egde of the pans where we found an established compacted two wheel track going over the western large pan and a few grass and bush higher level island areas all the way to Kubu Island on the Western edge of the Eastern large Pan - Sua Pan. It was a very pleasant, easy and scenic drive except for that last rocky part of this aporoach nearer Kubu Island. In doing this drive we kept to the established compacted track. Off this track you could see the pan surface had stiil nit dried out from recent rains and would have been very risky to drive on. But these is no reason to drive off the established track and doing so will just damage the pan surface and be unsightly. You could see a few vehicles had in the past tried their luck in certain areas but were starting to get bogged down and fairly quickly rejoined the established track. I suppose there will always be those few.

The is no such established track going from Kubu Island across Sua Pan eastwards to Kukonje Island. A member of the local community who is part of camp site management at Kubu Island said this was simply not possible. Appears that the very large middle part of Sua Pan in this area is just too unstable/unpredictable.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadman View Post
    In April we drove pretty much directly south from Gweta to the north western egde of the pans where we found an established compacted two wheel track going over the western large pan and a few grass and bush higher level island areas all the way to Kubu Island on the Western edge of the Eastern large Pan - Sua Pan. It was a very pleasant, easy and scenic drive except for that last rocky part of this aporoach nearer Kubu Island. In doing this drive we kept to the established compacted track. Off this track you could see the pan surface had stiil nit dried out from recent rains and would have been very risky to drive on. But these is no reason to drive off the established track and doing so will just damage the pan surface and be unsightly. You could see a few vehicles had in the past tried their luck in certain areas but were starting to get bogged down and fairly quickly rejoined the established track. I suppose there will always be those few.

The is no such established track going from Kubu Island across Sua Pan eastwards to Kukonje Island. A member of the local community who is part of camp site management at Kubu Island said this was simply not possible. Appears that the very large middle part of Sua Pan in this area is just too unstable/unpredictable.
    Many thanks for the info. Of course, if there is a track (is shown on T4A) we will stick to it.