After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it? - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Default Re: After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it?

Quote Originally Posted by dangermouse View Post
    3 years around Southern Africa, this is my top 5 list:
    - GPS with T4A
    - Electronic tire pressure gauge
    - National Luna Fridge
    - Rear drawers
    - Always: roll of toilet paper in middle console
    I agree with the above except the electronic gauge - for me a manual Stetho gauge is far more durable
    Partner Adventure 4X4 Academy
    http://www.4x4training.co.za

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Ralph_Clark For This Useful Post:

Default Re: After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    I am no expert, but I believe I have stumbled on the answer to that question.
    At first I thought it would be better tires, then maybe followed by some recovery points and protection plates, but now after guiding a lot of drivers with different kinds of vehicles and widely varying experience levels I have come to the conclusion that it should be fuel. I am willing to discuss it and consider other suggestions, but I am willi g to put money on it that fuel to drive it and gain experience will come out top in the end.

The trails I made is turning out to be much more a test of driver ability than vehicle ability, and I have seen experienced drivers in standard pickups do it easier than others in modified cruisers. Just the ability of a driver to react correctly to the instructions from a spotter makes a big difference, and knowing what line to take is more important than an extra difflock.
    Even asking that question is the road to ruin. first is to know your limitation and that of your vehicle. get some experience.
    if you need to know what to add to your 4x4 you needed to buy a unimog in the first place

The first modification I do to my 4x4 is a "no cost" one. I remove the 4x4 stickers .......
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph_Clark View Post
    I agree with the above except the electronic gauge - for me a manual Stetho gauge is far more durable
    The only problem with this is that it does not give you a "real time" indication of tyre pressure whilst driving. Most tyres and suspension systems are so good that you do not notice a deflating wheel whilst driving until the tyre overheats and disintegrates.

Johan
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post
    I am no expert, but I believe I have stumbled on the answer to that question.
    At first I thought it would be better tires, then maybe followed by some recovery points and protection plates, but now after guiding a lot of drivers with different kinds of vehicles and widely varying experience levels I have come to the conclusion that it should be fuel. I am willing to discuss it and consider other suggestions, but I am willi g to put money on it that fuel to drive it and gain experience will come out top in the end.

The trails I made is turning out to be much more a test of driver ability than vehicle ability, and I have seen experienced drivers in standard pickups do it easier than others in modified cruisers. Just the ability of a driver to react correctly to the instructions from a spotter makes a big difference, and knowing what line to take is more important than an extra difflock.
    Making costly improvements to a vehicle is senseless if the driver is not capable of using it. Believe one should hone your skills on a standard vehicle otherwise one will never become a competent offroader. First upgrade yourself and then the 4x4!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Diederick For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Jeanvn View Post
    Stem, as jy jou gat af sukkel om die obstacle te maak en jy kom bo uit is dit lekker, as jou voertuig teveel kit het en alles is maklik raak dit vervelig.

Ek is nogals lus om my TJ se swaai en 'n standaard Defender of 'n ding te koop om bietjie meer pret op bane te kan he.
    Nou praat julle my taal! Ek besit 'n '96 Isuzu 280 Reef vanaf nuut. Pas 500k km gehaal met oorspronklike enjin en ratkas. Derde rat raak bietjie krapperig. My eerste roete was Dak van Afrika in Lesotho. Ek het alles in die Baviaans gery en vele ander. Ek het nog nooit iets bygesit om die ou te verbeter nie. Alles wat onnodig was het ek afgehaal, bv trappe, kappie, 'nudge bar' en 'rollbar'. Doie lekker van 'standaard 4x4 is wanneer die manne met die groot kanonne met verbasing kom verneem wat verander is en nie kan glo as jy sÍ niks. Kyk op Youtube hoe sukkel die wintie komper karre maar my ou speel daar uit. Al die moderne goed se elektronese twak het ek met ervaring en kennis van my voertuig in my kop, hande en voete ingebou!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Diederick For This Useful Post:

My favourite mods are my rear drawers and long range fuel tank.

The draws make organisation a dream and the security of knowing you have over 1000km off a full tank is great

Quote Originally Posted by Diederick View Post
    Nou praat julle my taal! Ek besit 'n '96 Isuzu 280 Reef vanaf nuut. Pas 500k km gehaal met oorspronklike enjin en ratkas. Derde rat raak bietjie krapperig. My eerste roete was Dak van Afrika in Lesotho. Ek het alles in die Baviaans gery en vele ander. Ek het nog nooit iets bygesit om die ou te verbeter nie. Alles wat onnodig was het ek afgehaal, bv trappe, kappie, 'nudge bar' en 'rollbar'. Doie lekker van 'standaard 4x4 is wanneer die manne met die groot kanonne met verbasing kom verneem wat verander is en nie kan glo as jy sÍ niks. Kyk op Youtube hoe sukkel die wintie komper karre maar my ou speel daar uit. Al die moderne goed se elektronese twak het ek met ervaring en kennis van my voertuig in my kop, hande en voete ingebou!
    Dit is presies waarvan ek praat, kry die voertuig en ry hom. Die volgende mod wat ek nou aan die Hardbody wil doen is om die mudflaps net so n bietjie korter te sny, hulle raak soms op die roete. Verder gooi ek net petrol in.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3