After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it?

There are a lot of threads about improvements to vehicles, I myself considerred improvements, but instead so far I spend all that money on fuel and drove all the trails in the area over weekends. From what I have seen travelers do they would have been better off doing the same.

Default Re: After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it?

Regarding left foot braking, the best place to learn that is on a forklift while loading containers using a ramp. Experience is still trumps in my book.
    Last edited by Bex; 2019/04/29 at 02:56 PM. Reason: typos

I'd select a weekend with a mate, find a remote camp on private lands, fill the tank and new fridge, get a spade, then a compressor, tyre gear/spares, a good rope -maybe a pair of tracks and a few sandbags.

Start small, and get braver as the fridge empties through the weekend!

Next trip you'll know exactly what else you may need!
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    When I first bought a auto 4x4 in 2006 logic told my left foot braking can be of huge assistance. Nobody told or trained me that
    On an other forum in a thread I mentioned how I pull away up against a dune with controlling wheel spin on an Auto using left foot braking. In my younger days I also learned myself the art of heel and toe.

I were in two 4x4 training sessions where the instructors were good in the theory but battled to get that over in practice. In both cases their tyres were simply overinflated for their intentened sand driving techniques.

I do not think Sakkie and DVR ever had formal 4x4 training. Their experience speak for themselves.
    When we come down to farmers it is strange that they managed to win the Spirit of Africa on many occasions. I have witnessed Kalahari Farmers go in F100`s where other battled with 4x4`s in the dunes.

I would rather join Sakkie and DVR on a trip than an 4x4 instructor with 5 years of experience.
    I have wheeled with both of them. That's where I learned most of my stuff. That was several Old Mans River Trips which were exclusive to experienced people with capable cars and by invitation only. (Have no idea how I was invited ) Engel was my absolute mentor and has been on several extreme trips.

Sakkie, DVR and Willie (RIP sniff) serenaded me to sleep and then serenaded me awake in the morning. Lucky I left my shotgun at home.

Those guys are special. Three of a kind in a whole popular sport. Average Joe learns nothing but bad habits on his own.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick L View Post
    I'd select a weekend with a mate, find a remote camp on private lands, fill the tank and new fridge, get a spade, then a compressor, tyre gear/spares, a good rope -maybe a pair of tracks and a few sandbags.

Start small, and get braver as the fridge empties through the weekend!

Next trip you'll know exactly what else you may need!
    Or more importantly, what to leave behind.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Average Joe learns nothing but bad habits on his own.
    I do not agree with that fully, it depends on your situation.
    When I started working on the farm my work vehicle was a battered 1978 model 1.9L Isuzu diesel in 4x2 , I had to learn how to drive it in loose sand, It had no power at all, if i had more than 4 workers on the back I had to take the main hill on the farm in 2 nd gear and struggled to keep up with tractors.

I had to learn to drive over veld ripped with a buldozer, so I always had a shovel and 2 sturdy planks on the back to get out. I learned to get by without power and grippy tyres and ground clearance.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

I have wheeled with both of them. That's where I learned most of my stuff. That was several Old Mans River Trips which were exclusive to experienced people with capable cars and by invitation only. (Have no idea how I was invited ) Engel was my absolute mentor and has been on several extreme trips.

Sakkie, DVR and Willie (RIP sniff) serenaded me to sleep and then serenaded me awake in the morning. Lucky I left my shotgun at home.

Those guys are special. Three of a kind in a whole popular sport. Average Joe learns nothing but bad habits on his own.
    I have done the river trip with a 79 Land Cruiser which is not a very capable 4x4. So my take then is that the river trip is not extreme" title="Evil" border="">

Some very experienced spotters helped allot.

Also Engel is not the everyday 4x4 trainer.

And Yes I have learned myself to go to some real bad places building overhead lines. Getting 4x4 trucks unstuck definitely is experience the very few 4x4 instructors can teach you. I wonder how many of 4x4 instructors can handle Mogs and Samils off road. You train by your own experience.
    Last edited by grips; 2019/04/29 at 03:53 PM.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

I have done the river trip with a 79 Land Cruiser which is not a very capable 4x4. So my take then is that the river trip is not extreme" title="Evil" border="">

Lets put it this way. The Old Boys Trips were all about doing a recce and finding an easy path to lead the following weeks trips through. By the time the other trips happened all the hard work and hectic stuff had been done.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Also Engel is not the everyday 4x4 trainer.

And Yes I have learned myself to go to some real bad places building overhead lines. Getting 4x4 trucks unstuck definitely is experience the very few 4x4 instructors can teach you. I wonder how many of 4x4 instructors can handle Mogs and Samils off road. You train by your own experience.
    You already mentioned his name.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    A V6 and an inline 4

Lets put it this way. The Old Boys Trips were all about doing a recce and finding an easy path to lead the following weeks trips through. By the time the other trips happened all the hard work and hectic stuff had been done.
    After each raining season the river flows and ruins the tracks builded. It changes every year.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

The piece of equipment that I use most is my battery charger, so I would recommend that is the first thing you should get.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

Quote Originally Posted by Bex View Post

I had to learn to drive over veld ripped with a buldozer, so I always had a shovel and 2 sturdy planks on the back to get out. I learned to get by without power and grippy tyres and ground clearance.
    Work interupted me midway through the post.

I wanted to compare it to learning to fly radio control planes and helicopters.
    I started designing and building radio control planes teaching myself as I go, the first bunch of planes I built was overweight and underpowered and not well disigned, I managed to fly them, but had to make sure my speed was high enough before starting to pull up on take off.

I learned very quickly how to recover from and avoid stalls as I did not have power to rely on. I learned how to fix my designs so that the planes would stall level and recover easily from a stall. When I went to fly at a club for the first time I watched training where a trainer with a budy system would take over from the trainee when he got in trouble while training him with a well designed trainer that could power out of trouble.

I don't think I am a better pilot than the guys flying at the clubs, but I learned much quicker than they did, and I got into and learned to handle much scarier situations than the guys at the club ever will as I did not have rules to stay within that they have that is there to avoid those kind of situations.

I think the same aplies for 4x4 experience. sure, get a good 4x4 and fit skid plates and rock slider and lift it and go get training. But I still think learning how to drive in sand with low powered unmodified vehicles teaches you good technique. Bad habits usually comes with too much power and the driver then trying to fix his problems with power.

I helped to fight fire in the kalahari in 2001 with a crew of 12 workers with shovels driving ove dunes with a 2.4 diesel Hilux 4x2 and I went everywhere the cruizers went.
    I have recovered interlinks with a 30 tons liquid fertilizer load on it where the driver missed his offturn and decided to make a U turn in loose sand and proceeded to dig himself in

I think 4x4 training is a good idea, but I think just getting experience comes first, it doesn't have to be on dificult trails, just drive more.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

I would say if you have to buy something , invest in fitting bigger better tyre's/wheels not only would it look better cosmetically but it should improve traction ,ground clearance & stability etc.

Spend as much money as you can on improving your own skills. If you are new to the sport, your vehicle's ability, regardless of make, far exceeds yours. Make peace with that on day one and your battles are halfway won. Failing to accept that is going to cost you a small fortune in vehicle upgrades, which you still won't be able to use.

Get into the veld with experienced offroaders, not dirt road drivers, and LEARN before you start spending money on the vehicle.

And remember.......nobody helps you pay for vehicle damage. The moment somebody tells you you're a pissy for not trying an obstacle, you've picked the wrong crowd.
    Sakkie Coetzee

Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

18. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:

Get a proper recovery kit.
    If it's a good quality kit you'll have it for the rest of your 4x4 life.
    Don't expect/rely on others to use their kit to get you out of a pickle.
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PRA For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mark91 View Post
    I would say if you have to buy something , invest in fitting bigger better tyre's/wheels not only would it look better cosmetically but it should improve traction ,ground clearance & stability etc.
    Tyres do make a big difference. Do your reading up before fitting bigger tyres, though. It might put some additional strain on the engine.

But nice MT's, properly deflated, make a world of difference.
    Defender 2.8i

People talking without speaking
    People hearing without listening

After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it?

Toilet paper. For everything else you can sit along the road / dial a friend / wait for help etc

But you wouldn't want to wait for someone to bring you toilet paper.

Adding Toilet Paper - It will be an improvement

Last edited by EHoffmann; 2019/05/02 at 10:53 AM.
    Fiddler

23. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to EHoffmann For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by EHoffmann View Post
    After buying a 4x4 what should the first item be to spend money on improving it?

Toilet paper. For everything else you can sit along the road / dial a friend / wait for help etc

But you wouldn't want to wait for someone to bring you toilet paper.

Adding Toilet Paper - It will be an improvement

100% agrre with that. and with the TP you need a spade as well.

25. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bex For This Useful Post:

3 years around Southern Africa, this is my top 5 list:
    - GPS with T4A
    - Electronic tire pressure gauge
    - National Luna Fridge
    - Rear drawers
    - Always: roll of toilet paper in middle console
    ---
    Dale
    +27-829324043

My most used piece of equipment is my compressor and pressure gauge

28. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martin JB For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast