Chev Utility Club 1.4 petrol sheer frustration

Default Chev Utility Club 1.4 petrol sheer frustration

We have had a fault with our 2013 Ute (only 60000km) for the past 2.5-years. Its been back and forth to the appointed agents via gm support (now Unitrans/Isuzu).
    At anytime on starting hot or cold the vehicle just rough idles and its impossible to drive. After switching off and leaving the vehicle for say 15-30 mins the vehicle starts and has corrected itself and everything is fine.
    This happens randomly and can occur monthly or multiple times throughout the month. To date (well documented) the fault has happened +- 35 times.
    When at the agents the fault is never evident and nothing shows up on the diagnostic (current or history). They seem to be at a loss without error codes, even with a visit and input of the factory engineer.
    To date, the agents have replaced the following: vacuum canister, APS accelerator pedal sensor, oxygen sensor, and engine coolant temperature sensor. In addition, they have cleaned and inspected the throttle body. They suspected the CAT heating up so they removed the element material, middle silencer was also replaced?
    This vehicle is solely driven by my wife. I'm sure you can appreciate not just the inconvenience but the safety/danger issues of breakdown on our roads. I now drive the vehicle with caution.
    Even though the vehicle is over 5-years all of the repairs have been done under warranty. The fault happened again yesterday. We are now back to square one.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Default Re: Chev Utility Club 1.4 petrol sheer frustration

I have almost exactly the same issue with my 2015 Utility. Every morning when cold, it starts fine, but as soon as the engine starts running, it battle to idle and I have to give some input on the accelerator to keep it going. Only for first 10 seconds, then it will run fine. Hot starts is perfect. It almost seems like the auto choke not working. Like you say, hard to simulate with the dealers, as you go there, the problem is not evident.
    Toyota RAV4
    Chevrolet Utility

There is a "air bypass" valve on the intake manifold , this carbons up and has an effect on idle , remove and clean with some carb cleaner , mite help. On my 1400 I clean this part every now and then , closing in on 300k kms , been a very good bakkie so far. My problem has been thermostats that has caused overheating and required head repairs .
    05 TJ SAHARA
    08 3.8 JK ULTD RUBICON

Yes, that idle control valve needs to be cleaned properly.

CPS is extremely sensitive. Make the air gap as small as you can. Put a piece of paper between and spin the crank. Then lock it.

That engine is actually not very sensitive. Very stable.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide
    +27 zero eight 2 four 95 9252

Quote Originally Posted by Mickel View Post
    We have had a fault with our 2013 Ute (only 60000km) for the past 2.5-years. Its been back and forth to the appointed agents via gm support (now Unitrans/Isuzu).
    At anytime on starting hot or cold the vehicle just rough idles and its impossible to drive. After switching off and leaving the vehicle for say 15-30 mins the vehicle starts and has corrected itself and everything is fine.
    This happens randomly and can occur monthly or multiple times throughout the month. To date (well documented) the fault has happened +- 35 times.
    When at the agents the fault is never evident and nothing shows up on the diagnostic (current or history). They seem to be at a loss without error codes, even with a visit and input of the factory engineer.
    To date, the agents have replaced the following: vacuum canister, APS accelerator pedal sensor, oxygen sensor, and engine coolant temperature sensor. In addition, they have cleaned and inspected the throttle body. They suspected the CAT heating up so they removed the element material, middle silencer was also replaced?
    This vehicle is solely driven by my wife. I'm sure you can appreciate not just the inconvenience but the safety/danger issues of breakdown on our roads. I now drive the vehicle with caution.
    Even though the vehicle is over 5-years all of the repairs have been done under warranty. The fault happened again yesterday. We are now back to square one.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Good day

I have a 2014 chev utility 1.8,having the exact same problem,i have been in and out the agents,now waiting for new injectors,they have replaced the coil and plug wires etc and cleaned the throttlebody,now it is even worst,also they dont pickup any errors,,wish i had a outcome on this,if you have any feedback,do you mind sharing it with me,I will also provide feedback once i have replaced the injectors..

Had a fault on this side that the car would miss terribly when it is warming up. Idles fine. When cold, revs fine as well.

Eventually it was the petrol filter that was blocked.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide

I would check the idle control valve and also the fuel line relay. Not sure if these bakkies have but maybe it could be the crank angle/shaft sensor.

Similar problem: when cold, it starts, but you need to immediately depress the accelerator to add fuel, then within two seconds or so it runs perfectly. I must add that i have bought it new in 2004, it now has over 400k on it; no major problems so far: still on the original clutch.

I was advised that a new throttle body would cure the problem, but no guarantees.

Picked up something else. There is a couple of earth cables that give in. And they all run from the back of the head, next to the cam sprocket. 1 goes to the battery and the other to the ECU.

Just make sure they are healthy or just add extra earth cables.

That engine is also very sensitive to the heat sensor, under the coil pack. Make sure it makes a proper connection and that the pins are not pushed back.
    Last edited by Henris; 2019/09/08 at 06:10 PM.
    LC 78 Troopie 1HD-FTE
    Uniglide