Differential wear

Default Differential wear

Hi Guys
    Im in Cape Town.
    Pajero 2002 iO 2l Manual Petrol Any recommendations where I can have my diif sorted. It has a lot of play after changing gear and relasing the clutch. Pref an iO Fundi, or is it something i can replace my self. When I bought the vehicle it already had the diff wear. I never did any off roading yet but Im about to start now.
    Thx Guys

Default Re: Differential wear

The symptoms that you describe (although it is fairly vague), sounds to me rather like wear in the universal joints in the drive shaft, alternatively even just the drive shaft mountings. What makes you think it is the diff? C
    If you ain't livin on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Quote Originally Posted by C Africa View Post
    The symptoms that you describe (although it is fairly vague), sounds to me rather like wear in the universal joints in the drive shaft, alternatively even just the drive shaft mountings. What makes you think it is the diff? C
    I agree, diffs do not wear easily, unless no oil. More than likely symptoms show a less expensive repair, such as uni joints etc
    Henk Pretorius D4 3,0 SDV6 HSE
    EX AFRICII SEMPER NOVUS

I agree.

A worn diff will make enough noise to make itself heard.

Yous sounds like drivetrain wear, which is the cumulative effect of wear on various components, starting with the gearbox drive splines and going all the way back to the side shafts in the axles.

I'd start with a reputable gearbox/diff repair shop and get an opinion, but I have no idea who this would be in CT. Then get a 2nd and 3rd quote just to verify.

My mantra is don't fix it if it ain't broken: my One Ten would have a severe CLANG on first clutch engagement that actually didn't affect the vehicle's capability at all.

Rex Diff and Gearbox will do an online assessment of your problem on their website.

They have a branch in Airport Industria in Cape Town.
    2001 Isuzu Frontier 4X4 DT280 LX 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Tourer)
    2011 JMC 4X4 Double Cab 2.8 Turbo Diesel (Work Bakkie)
    1973 Land Rover Series 2A 109" Ford V6 Kanniedood, Salisbury diff, galvanised chassis etc. (Hobby and Work vehicle)