Mabuasehube, Hukuntsi, Polentswa - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Mabuasehube, Hukuntsi, Polentswa

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Have updated post and will add more in next 2 days.
    Added some more info and pdf maps of the two routes

Some more info 20 may. Sorry about dribbling stuff, have been busy lately, working on vehicle, post trip.
    Last edited by ed rouillard; 2019/05/20 at 07:49 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Added some more info and pdf maps of the two routes

Some more info 20 may. Sorry about dribbling stuff, have been busy lately, working on vehicle, post trip.
    Some more

Drove 33 kms to Kang, fuelled up and then North, on the tar road, 51 kms to the next cut line, direction Easterly, towards the SW point or the CKGR park. Had coord from T4A. Not signposted but obvious. This section was sandy for about 5 kms, with a few farm roads leading off, but great after, for 35 kms from the tar road. At this point we reached a T junction, turned North along a new cut line on the West border of CKGR.

This cut line is 121 kms long and mostly undriven and smooth, sandy with little sections with corrugations. At about 86 kms from the T, a pan with quite a lot of game, typical of CKGR, Pipers or Phokoje Pans. Nice area to stop and maybe wild camp if necessary, off the pan suggested though. At 93 kms a very sandy section, where the track was difficult to drive in, needed low ratio sometimes, but able to drive on the side of the twin track sometimes, in the fire break area, which was grassy and sometimes bushy. Bit tricky as there was modest risk of punctures as the bushes hid the driving surface. Section about 25 kms long, heavy consumption, switching from side to side, eventually a farm and small corrugated section, and uneven, and sandy, after which much of the same as the bad bit at 93 kms, but mostly better.

Then we reached the East West route to Xade. From the intersection, it was 25 kms to Xade, with some 20 kms absolutely lousy, very broken, uneven, corrugated, sandy, cross axle and not a great drive. We were told that the route west from the cut line is tough, with very poor soft sand sections needing low low dune like tyre pressures, diff locks, low ratio and some. We did not see or drive this though.
    [/B]

"
    Hello Ed
    First of all thank you so much for this very accurate review. Just one thing, how long did it take you to go to Xade gate from Kang ?
    Thanks in advance
    Ouioui car driver
    (The Ouioui car never fails.)

Quote Originally Posted by Erwan View Post
    Hello Ed
    First of all thank you so much for this very accurate review. Just one thing, how long did it take you to go to Xade gate from Kang ?
    Thanks in advance
    Hi Erwan,

Got to Kang at 10h35, then filled up etc. Got to Xade office at 16h30. We did not dawdle but i drive at modest speed - LC 79 4.2 diesel donkey.The cut lines need concentration in sections. We lost some time - about 30 to 40 minutes total - with my mates paj which ran too hot in the very soft stuff.

The section from cut line to Xade was lousy and very uneven etc reducing speed to a crawl in places.

Unusually my wife noted both times down - We were not optimistic of getting from Mabua to Kang in one day. In winter with drier sand, may be a challenge.

Did work well for us though and the drive was nice. First section from Mabua saw lots of buck, every 15 minutes or so. Fewer on second leg from Kang.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Hi Erwan,

Got to Kang at 10h35, then filled up etc. Got to Xade office at 16h30. We did not dawdle but i drive at modest speed - LC 79 4.2 diesel donkey.The cut lines need concentration in sections. We lost some time - about 30 to 40 minutes total - with my mates paj which ran too hot in the very soft stuff.

The section from cut line to Xade was lousy and very uneven etc reducing speed to a crawl in places.

Unusually my wife noted both times down - We were not optimistic of getting from Mabua to Kang in one day. In winter with drier sand, may be a challenge.

Did work well for us though and the drive was nice. First section from Mabua saw lots of buck, every 15 minutes or so. Fewer on second leg from Kang.
    Thanks a lot Ed.
    Did you have to deflate a lot in soft sand ? I mean close to 1 bar/15 PSI ?
    I plan to drive from kang to Piperpan in dry season. Not sure to be able to do it in one time. Anyway we may camp on the way if we have to, at Xade gate or on the cutline.
    Ouioui car driver

Thanks a lot Ed.
    Did you have to deflate a lot in soft sand ? I mean close to 1 bar/15 PSI ?
    I plan to drive from kang to Piperpan in dry season. Not sure to be able to do it in one time. Anyway we may camp on the way if we have to, at Xade gate or on the cutline.
    We deflated to 1,5 bar and down a little more when sand was soft. My mate was towing a light alu offroad trailer and may have gone a little softer on the tyres. My LC 4,2 diesel drove in and out the soft sand twin track to the slightly firmer edge frequently to steer out of the softer stuff. I used 4x4 high and every now and then 4x4 low and sustained momentum. Most of the cut lines were good enjoyable driving with short patches of soft sand but the one section was predominantly soft for a longer distance, per the post. The conditions were not the worst we have had in Bots over the years, by far, and i did not have thoughts of a rescue at all, throughout, noting that there had probably been rain in the last 2 weeks, against driving the worst sections at the hottest part of the day. Temps about 29 celcius by the way. Difficult to assess but mid winter would be a little worse, dry and in the afternoon, but not a problem - we have driven in Bots in all seasons over the years.

If you get to Xade at the end of the day you pay for park fees and the camping. We did and the campsite was ok but a gennie ran all night in the distance - not a problem. They had no water and gave us a bit of theirs after announcing that the pump was broken, Humorous encounter about this. Camp staff was not too PR driven.

From Xade to Pipers took +2,5 hours in the morning. Mostly undulating and steady but slow speed. Fair amount of bush rash but not enough to gouge paint. The Paj was polished after the trip. The LC has the VPS and it is scratched, but not the paint. Section was not too sandy.

As mentioned, the section from the NS cutline intersection to Xade was lousy, somewhat worse than the worst tracks we drove in Mabua and worse that the drive out of Pipers towards Deception, some 25 kms. The former is also 25 kms and about 90 percent is poor, some lousy. Section from Ghansi to the T is much worse apparently, according to a chap we spoke to, but we did not drive that section.
    Last edited by ed rouillard; 2019/05/28 at 07:00 AM.

OK, thanks you very much.
    We will start early to try to reach Piper pan the same day.
    Ouioui car driver

OK, thanks you very much.
    We will start early to try to reach Piper pan the same day.
    Ewan, I think a good chance to succeed. Remember that we left Mabua and drove to Xade on same day. Had not wanted to do it but due to elections and not enough initial thought, ended up that way. The only negative is the link to Xade and the track from Xade to Pipers is not the most interesting - few pans on the way - but Pipers is a fantastic target.

We often go there since 1996 or thereabouts. Wild camp on these last two stretches would not be good - up to Xade not exiting, apart from the cut line that i mentioned, and not permitted from Xade. Have a good one and let us know the result. Welcome to contact me if you wish. Just PM and we can chat.

Hi All - thank you! I just wanted to know the best route to Mbua and I got a lot of information about the whole area.
    Next question - I just found out we have also booked to camp at Sizatswe. The T4A info says 'No Facilities'. Does that mean not even a long drop? We have everything else but...........
    Look forward to any news and thanks again for ALL the information ---
    This forum is a great place.
    Digs

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Hi All - thank you! I just wanted to know the best route to Mbua and I got a lot of information about the whole area.
    Next question - I just found out we have also booked to camp at Sizatswe. The T4A info says 'No Facilities'. Does that mean not even a long drop? We have everything else but...........
    Look forward to any news and thanks again for ALL the information ---
    This forum is a great place.
    Digs
    Indeed Diggy, there is just a concrete slab for a fire....... same at Gnus Gnus and Swart Pan.... it is a real wilderness trail area, however it is nice there!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2