Mabuasehube, Hukuntsi, Polentswa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Mabuasehube, Hukuntsi, Polentswa

Good day,
    Heading to Mabuasehube in July and have been looking at the route options.

Out of SA through Bray, overnight at Cornwall and then either the route from Makopong to Mbua or the Kokotsha route.
    Any current news on the Kokotsha route? Some old comments on the forum were not complimentary.
    See no comments about the Makopong option.
    OR
    Out of SA through McCarthys Rest, overnight in Tsabong and then on to Mbua.

Did a Mbua trip a couple of years ago but went from Nossob to Mabua and back. It's the kind of route you only do once.
    Thinking that entering Mbua from the east will be less punishing on the vehicle.

After Mbua - leave Mbua and drive up to Hukuntsi (any information on this route) - one night stay over and then down to Poletswa (great camp) and then a few nights in Nossob and Mata Mata to round off the trip.

Out of the park at Twee Rivieren.

Any current or semi-current info on any of these routes would be appreciated.

Diggy

Default Re: Mabuasehube, Hukuntsi, Polentswa

Quote Originally Posted by Diggy View Post
    Good day,
    Heading to Mabuasehube in July and have been looking at the route options.

Out of SA through Bray, overnight at Cornwall and then either the route from Makopong to Mbua or the Kokotsha route.
    Any current news on the Kokotsha route? Some old comments on the forum were not complimentary.
    See no comments about the Makopong option.
    OR
    Out of SA through McCarthys Rest, overnight in Tsabong and then on to Mbua.

Did a Mbua trip a couple of years ago but went from Nossob to Mabua and back. It's the kind of route you only do once.
    Thinking that entering Mbua from the east will be less punishing on the vehicle.

After Mbua - leave Mbua and drive up to Hukuntsi (any information on this route) - one night stay over and then down to Poletswa (great camp) and then a few nights in Nossob and Mata Mata to round off the trip.

Out of the park at Twee Rivieren.

Any current or semi-current info on any of these routes would be appreciated.

Diggy
    We'll be doing the Cornwall Kokotsha route next week, we exit out of Kaa en route to Jack's Pan either via the cut line or Hukhuntsi depending on fuel reserves. Will give some feedback on the route if I remember

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to River Rat For This Useful Post:

I have done both all the routes, and the one through Mcathys Border post is the fastest, to Mabua Gate.

Not many sleep option in Tsabong, rather sleep on Sa side, many options, Springbokpan (R170 pppn) Cullinan Guest farm (R120pppn) and Oppiknoppie (R100pppn) all prices are for camping.

I know all this because I leave tomorrow morning for Mabua, through Matopi and Nossob.

Be careful in Vryburg, and Kuruman, avoid stopping there at all. Crime is out of controll in these two towns.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to gerhardF For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by gerhardF View Post
    I have done both all the routes, and the one through Mcathys Border post is the fastest, to Mabua Gate.

Not many sleep option in Tsabong, rather sleep on Sa side, many options, Springbokpan (R170 pppn) Cullinan Guest farm (R120pppn) and Oppiknoppie (R100pppn) all prices are for camping.

I know all this because I leave tomorrow morning for Mabua, through Matopi and Nossob.

Be careful in Vryburg, and Kuruman, avoid stopping there at all. Crime is out of controll in these two towns.
    Hi - thanks.
    Will look at options on the SA side. I think we will take the McCarthys border post route.
    Yes we know Kuruman & Vryburg. On our last trip a guy tried to open the passenger door in the main street - I think he had seen my wifes' cell phone.
    D

I like the Bray route via Vryburg and Tosca. Easily doable in a day and Cornwall lodge is one of my favourite stop overs. From Bray to Cornwall is around 40 Kms on dirt. When you leave Cornwall lodge it is 20 KMs to the tar rd and then 2 hours to Tsabong. Both fuel stations there took cards.

Disco Smiley has just come back from Mabua and said the cutline was really bad.

Agree to avoid stopping in Vryburg. There is a fuel station just outside, can't miss it, thatch roof with shop and toilets. Never had an issue there. The Tosca route misses out Kuruman altogether.

The Southern cut line is no longer used as it has been fenced and padlocked. The last guys to report on that rd said it was badly overgrown and they turned back, which leaves the Northern cut line or the deep sand rd from Tsabong. The latter being the easiest and probably most fuel efficient as you are only 120 KMs from the gate from your last fuel stop.

Sorry no info on the Hukuntsi rd as it is now years since we last did it. From memory it was not difficult and the town has grown a bit recently with new fuel stations and a mall I believe.

I like your idea of going to Polentswa from the North as opposed to the Bosobologo-Nossob rd. Most likely less torturous on the vehicle. Be careful it there is a lot of water the rds around Polentswa can fill up like rivers.

Have a great trip and please report back.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

2004 Gen 3. 3.8i petrol V6 (PAJTU)
    X Factor Bundutop trailer (designed by me)
    1998 Blister Fender Pajero 3500 24V (PAJ) (Sold)
    BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by Stranger View Post
    ...The Southern cut line is no longer used as it has been fenced and padlocked. The last guys to report on that rd said it was badly overgrown and they turned back, .....
    This is the Goa pan track? I also had it like you said, but could not find the actual post with the feedback. Someone suggested it as a viable route the other day. Clearly not.

OT, but the neglect and general decline in the Northern Cape dorpies is quite clear. We very careful in Vryburg and Kuruman. We always stop at that garage outside Vryburg with the thatch roof; nice parking for caravans, clean ablutions and safer feeling. There is also a new garage about 30 km outside Vryburg going towards Kuruman. But their diesel is expensive and there does not seem to be shop to buy cold drinks or food. I would have thought a Steers of similar would make a killing there since you cannot dare to stop in either Vryburg or Kuruman.
    Last edited by lekhubu943; 2019/04/29 at 12:47 PM.
    2018 Toyota Fortuner 2.8 GD-6 4x4 AT
    BushLapa 78 Now a Boskruier but with the same Zambia and CKGR bush stripes

9. The Following User Says Thank You to lekhubu943 For This Useful Post:

I like the Bray route via Vryburg and Tosca. Easily doable in a day and Cornwall lodge is one of my favourite stop overs. From Bray to Cornwall is around 40 Kms on dirt. When you leave Cornwall lodge it is 20 KMs to the tar rd and then 2 hours to Tsabong. Both fuel stations there took cards.

Agree to avoid stopping in Vryburg. There is a fuel station just outside, can't miss it, thatch roof with shop and toilets. Never had an issue there. The Tosca route misses out Kuruman altogether.

The Southern cut line is no longer used as it has been fenced and padlocked. The last guys to report on that rd said it was badly overgrown and they turned back, which leaves the Northern cut line or the deep sand rd from Tsabong. The latter being the easiest and probably most fuel efficient as you are only 120 KMs from the gate from your last fuel stop.

Sorry no info on the Hukuntsi rd as it is now years since we last did it. From memory it was not difficult and the town has grown a bit recently with new fuel stations and a mall I believe.

I like your idea of going to Polentswa from the North as opposed to the Bosobologo-Nossob rd. Most likely less torturous on the vehicle. Be careful it there is a lot of water the rds around Polentswa can fill up like rivers.

Do you know which one Disco smiley is referrin to? I am assuming that the southern cut line is the Goa pan one as per Lehkubu's post and the Northern one is the one via Kokotsha?

This is the Goa pan track? I also had it like you said, but could not find the actual post with the feedback. Someone suggested it as a viable route the other day. Clearly not.
    I did based on older feedbacks, but stand corrected with this info that the gates are now padlocked.

I would like to know which one of the two routes is nicer in terms of landscape?

Tosca, Bray, Cornwall to Tsabong? or
    Vryburg, Kuruman, Hotazel, McCarthys to Tsabong?

Thank you
    "make a plan to break a plan"

Yes, that is correct.
    Lusted for a Landy but the Pajero was sexier and bigger in the right departments, just like my Missus.

BMW R1200R

Quote Originally Posted by La Leona View Post

Tosca, Bray, Cornwall to Tsabong?
    Vryburg, Kuruman, Hotazel, McCarthys to Tsabong?

Thank you
    I terms of landscape neither route is pretty. The Tosca - Bray route is quieter and cuts out the smaller SA towns that are crime ridden. Cornwall lodge is a gem of a place with either rooms or camping. it is basically 20-25 kms from Werda which gives you the option of a cut line entry to Mabua or south to Tsabong.

We did this route in Jan to go to KTP, specifically in order to avoid the SA towns. it was much more pleasant trip than through Vyryburg- Kuruman-Kathu- Uppington.

BMW R1200R

I terms of landscape neither route is pretty. The Tosca - Bray route is quieter and cuts out the smaller SA towns that are crime ridden. Cornwall lodge is a gem of a place with either rooms or camping. it is basically 20-25 kms from Werda which gives you the option of a cut line entry to Mabua or south to Tsabong.

We did this route in Jan to go to KTP, specifically in order to avoid the SA towns. it was much more pleasant trip than through Vyryburg- Kuruman-Kathu- Uppington.
    Hi Stranger,
    we did both the Kokothsa cut line (from Jwaneng) and the Kathu Upington routes on previous trips.

Because we have an order for meat, fruit and veg to be collected in Tsabong we will take the Tsabong - Mabua route to enter Mabua, but still have the option on doing Bray or McCarthys to get to Tsabong.

Each day in Africa is part of the overall experience for us, so even a otherwise uneventful driving day should be at least a little bit nice in terms of landscape, fields, villages, towns etc. You worry me by saying that you completely avoid driving thru towns like Kuruman and Vryburg....

Unfortunately the smaller towns are affected badly by our sick economy and unemployment is rife. This in turn leads to higher drug use and in turn leads to crime to sustain the habit.

Now I am not trying to scare you at all, but you need to be aware that this exists and avoiding some of these towns just makes the journey so much more pleasant. We look like money on wheels to a lot of people. It has happened to me that a person has walked right up to the car doors and tried to open them. So the sooner I am in Bots, the less anxious I am.

BMW R1200R

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Stranger For This Useful Post:

One other suggestion if you want to explore it.

Molopo nature reserve. Go spend a night there and exit the reserve through the back gate. This puts you on farms rds that you need to open and close gates. If memory serves the rd follows the Molopo river for 60-70 Kms and takes you to MCarthy's. Very pleasant and scenic drive.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Stranger; 2019/04/29 at 03:33 PM.

BMW R1200R

Nice! Thank you will follow this up. I hadn't considered Molopo for an overnight stop since I did not want to drive on the A2 from Makopong back south to Tsabong, but the alternative along the Molopo river on RSA side sounds like a really good option.
    Last edited by La Leona; 2019/04/29 at 06:39 PM.

Have recently come back from a trip to MABUA and then on to CKGR which we knew would be long. The post below is the queries we posted and we had few responses and spoke to a one of the folk. Did just what i posted and it worked out very well.Also more than happy to add info, reporting actual conditions:

objective was to go from JHB and get close to MABUA, wild camp, game drive in to the MAPAYA camp and we could have got to the MABUA gate and have camped there. The cut line from the Kotosha road was better than we had heard, and was devoid of traffic and was mostly free of farm animals, apart from the detour around the farms.

Comment on the road conditions on thursday 25 April as we found it:

We were aware that there had been patchy rain from the Kanye area, through Kokotsha, Mabua, where it was fairly sustained and further north, about 5 days before we drove the link route. We had left Joburg on 25 April in a rain spell and had driven in rain up to Lobatse region, where it was clear but the sides of the road were wet. Must have smoothed the roads but seemingly made little difference to corrugated sections of the well used Mabua roads when we got there. Must have made a difference though. As we neared the CKGR on the second commute, on sunday 28 April, it was obvious that the rains were not felt that far north.

So we drove from Jwaneng, Sekoma, and filled up diesel at both, and on tar towards Kokotsha. I had used T4A to create a waypoint at the top cutline turnoff from the tar road, some 9 kms before the village, and, true to form, we found the cut line. Signposted MABUA i think, but obvious, wide reserve and twin track in the middle.

The cut line is straight, little sandy in short patches, slightly initially corrugated, but very derivable in fact. After 18 kms we reached a Y junction and the cut line veered in a NW direction. A small track continued in the original direction and T4A took us on this lesser track, a little counter intuitively. It was correct however. About 13 kms from the Y, on the narrow track, but reasonable driving, we reached a new fence, where the farmers or someone, has cut a new track along the fence. Had to reduce speed due to the bumpy and uneven quality as the track has never been grade i think, to about 28-30 kms/hr, whereas the cut line had been at a comfortable 50-60 kms/hr.

After the detour along the fence, we turned in a southerly direction and, 12 kms from the fence start, the track turned West, back on the cut line. The cut line road was fine with alternating smooth, slightly corrugated, slightly sandy stretches with speeds of around 50-60, every now and then slowing to 30-40 and also rising above 60 occasionally. Road and drive was good and way better than expected. Saw quite a lot of game and no farming animals, as far as i remember, and very few, if any, tracks to farms. No traffic whatsoever on the day, in any direction. Nice drive in fact.

The objective had been to reach Mabua or nearby in the late afternoon and to wild camp. We could have got to Mabua gate but would have been pressed to reach a camp in Mabua. We stopped at the Eden Pan turnoff, to recce, but fresh tracks heading from the Mabua direction towards Eden, led us to carry on the cut line. Finally we wild camped in a place that had been used probably some months before. That night there was very heavy dew and we heard jackal and some dogs, but the latter very far away. My fears of a well used Mabua type corrugated road did not materialise. We drove from 5h45 and got to the wild camp around 16h30, by then we were not in a hurry, having crossed the border, petrol etc but ate on the road with small breaks and 2 diesel stops. One vehicle towed a alu trailer.

Comment on the Mabua to CKGR transit we did:

This was a bit more unclear and, as you can see if you read on, i did not get any response at all from 4x4 Com or LCCSA to posts.

have run out of time - will add tomorrow and patch in some Mapscource pdf maps.

We decided to try and get info when we checked in to Mabua on the way in. No chance no info and just confusion.

We left Mabua campsite, Lesho, early, at about 6h30, drove on a lousy and corrugated road to gate, north up the NS cut line to the NE point of Mabua. The cutline is very wide and a number of tracks can be driven and sometimes only one when the sandy patches are reached. Speed 30-60 km/hr mostly fast. At that point, about 24 kms from the gate, the cut line turns West and the route we had decided to use, the NE cut line takes off. This is a wide cleared fire break and a twin track in the middle. The first 20 kays is corrugated but locals and our group drove straddling the one track and switching rom time to time, and it was great and smooth. There was some farming i think and we also reached the track heading North to Jacks Pan, and carried on. It is long, 132 kms total and pretty good for about 113 kms, from the NE point of Mabua. There are a few sandy patches, one mud area, that could be challenging in wet conditions, as cattle and locals had churned it up. About 0,8 kms long. There were a few xorrugated patches but they could be avoided or were not too severe. Speed varied 30-60 kms but mostly around 50 kms/hr.

At 113 kms started a section where farmers had fenced to mid firebreak and had cut an uneven track next to the fence. Why they do that heaven knows, a few meters in a huge expanse! A fairly uncomfortable section of track, but not very corrugated, just uneven. We encountered a vehcle here only. The rest was very good and there was quite a lot of buck every few kms including kudu. No farm animals though. We then reached the Kang tar road which is being resurfaced.

Drove 33 kms to Kang, fuelled up and then North, on the tar road, 51 kms to the next cut line, direction Easterly, towards the SW point or the CKGR park. Had coord from T4A. Not signposted but obvious. This section was sandy for about 5 kms, with a few farm roads leading off, but great after, for 35 kms from the tar road. At this point we reached a T junction, turned North along a new cut line on the West border of CKGR.

This cut line is 121 kms long and mostly undriven and smooth, sandy with little sections with corrugations. At about 86 kms from the T, a pan with quite a lot of game, typical of CKGR, Pipers or Phokoje Pans. Nice area to stop and maybe wild camp if necessary, off the pan suggested though. At 93 kms a very sandy section, where the track was difficult to drive in, needed low ratio sometimes, but able to drive on the side of the twin track sometimes, in the fire break area, which was grassy and sometimes bushy. Bit tricky as there was modest risk of punctures as the bushes hid the driving surface. Section about 25 kms long, heavy consumption, switching from side to side, eventually a farm and small corrugated section, and uneven, and sandy, after which much of the same as the bad bit at 93 kms, but mostly better.

Then we reached the East West route to Xade. From the intersection, it was 25 kms to Xade, with some 20 kms absolutely lousy, very broken, uneven, corrugated, sandy, cross axle and not a great drive. We were told that the route west from the cut line is tough, with very poor soft sand sections needing low low dune like tyre pressures, diff locks, low ratio and some. We did not see or drive this though.
    [/B]

Some more comments that influenced our thinking:

I have been saving comments from this forum and the LCCSA one on travel destinations, trip logs, routes, tips, technical comments and more, in southern Africa and around my interests and hobbies, for some time, by converting posts to MS Word or Excel, doing an edit and saving it into an electronic file, which is backed up from time to time. Before a trip, i have a look at the dope and discard stuff that is obviously obsolete and no longer valid. I then do web search to get latest info.

As Mabua is a very popular destination nowadays, i thought that the info would be tumbling at me on routes and the like. Surprisingly not so. Got one reply after a few weeks of posting, on both web forums, and the info gleaned was somewhat variable, and, at best, inaccurate. Then i looked at Google earth along routes, confirming T4A routes. This sort of ratified the thinking.

Then we took a chance and did the routes that had been planned. All worked out as the route to Mabua and then from Mabua to CKGR were supported by 2 folk who i spoke to and who i had met (in one case) and choices were good. In reading stuff before, i was surprised at the variable comments about the myriad of options. Factoring that things change from year to year and winter and summer, some comment really did not make sense and even suggested that some posts could only have been hearsay.

We dont like punishing our vehicles unnecessarily and that influenced thinking - To manage risk of silly mechanical breakages and to prevent generation of wear that could lead to same in the future. Breakdowns in the bush are costly to sort and can be dangerous. The routes were pretty good in the end, quicker than we planned, allowing for the rain that had happened this summer, also a week before, and flew against some reports that i had read, even some trips in 2019.

Just some thoughts on the thinking.

MABUA CKGR MAY 2019.pdfMABUA CUT LINE MAY 2019.pdf

"3 April 2019
    BOTSWANA TRIP - APRIL 2019 - MABUA AND CKGR

Hi All,

We booked a trip to Mabua and CKGR at the end of April and early May this year. We are going to be 2 vehicles, a Pajero and a light trailer and a Landcruiser 79 overlanding vehicle - 2 couples - old toppies, all still working though!

Have been to Mabua a few times but a long time ago. First trip in 1999 and rest in early 2000's. Haven't been there for a long time. I have been keeping a file of different routes to and from Mabua as there have been frequent questions on access roads from Jhb and Pta. I also have a few reports from Pipers Pan to Mabua and vice versa. This latter link isn't so common however.

Would appreciate some advice on the routes from Jhb to Mabua and separately also from Mabua to CKGR.

Jhb to Mabua
    From my memory we have been through Bray, Werda, Makopong and then along the cut line straight into the entrance of Mabua. Have also been in the past along the Tsabong and McCarthy’s rest but it’s so long ago that it’s not really remembered.

Have seen many comments with trips reaching Mabua through Zeerust Lobatse, Jwaneng, Sekoma and then the cut line just after Kokotsha through the farms, westwards, towards the Mabua perimeter and then south to the entrance gate. As far as i recall we have done this road but it’s too long ago to remember.

There are also a bunch of other routes including McCarthy’s Rest and Tsabong and in that way. I read of corrugated roads as well as pretty sandy parts on this and also the Kokotsha route. We aren’t concerned about sand but would prefer to avoid long drives over heavy corrugations if at all possible. Have also heard of the routes through Werda.

We intend for now to go the Lobatsi, Jwaneng, Secoma route for now and ask a few questions if at all possible to those who have been there lately.

We would drive Jhb, Magaliesburg - Zwartruggens - Zeerust - Border - Lobatse

In Botswana Lobatse, Jwaneng, Secoma and Kokotsha, and then the cut line to Mabua. We’ve driven this cut line before but would imagine that it changes from season to season and all the time. Is this cut line fairly smooth these days? It travels through all the farms. Is this fairly ok nowadays?

It would involve 294km of tar in RSA about 310km of tar in Botswana and then 145km of dirt/sand towards Mabua up to the gate.

Any thoughts would be appreciated, particularly the link to Mabua. There wont be any folk to check with when we get there.

From Mabua to CKGR

We realised that this link up is far and we have done some of the route near Mabua but not the link up from Kang to CKGR. We have done many many trip in CKGR and we have done 2 trips from Khutse to CKGR and out at Matswere. These are all over the years and seasons obviously. Done many trips in CKGR probably something like 20 trips over the last 25 years.

The thinking at the moment would be to drive out of Mabua, drive north, up the cut line, to the north east corner of Mabua, and then drive along the NE cutline straight and long to the A2. I have seen a few reports that part of this route are rough and am concerned about this. Seen quite a few comments where people are going to Jack’s Pan, have been there a long time ago and don’t have detailed knowledge anymore. Have also seen comments about trips to KAA, Zuhtschwa, Hukuntsi and Kang but this is probably a bit further – but may be better and smoother – We can chat to the game guards at the gate?

There is another route that goes from Mabua to Tshane and eventually links to the B210. I'm not sure if the B210 is tar? Does anyone know? Also not sure whether the off-road link, which is about 121km, is smoother than the other link towards Kang. If anybody knows, on both, would be appreciated.

The idea then would be to turn left onto the A2, drive to Kang and fill up and stock up, and drive along the A2 to Palamakoloi and then turn right on the cut line going to the CKGR, to the SW point. Then drive north along that cut line up to the main cut line east west to Xade. We are booked in at Xade but only have 1 day to go from Mabua to Xade which we realise is going to be a long day. If all else fails we will wild camp on the cut line to Xade?

I have seen some comment on the LCCSA website from a few folk who have driven the north south cut line as recently as last year but the LCCSA page had been off line. Recall a comment from Adolf Huster and will look for same once they are back on line failing which I'll call Adolf to discuss.

Would appreciate comments, in particular the route planned, the long cut line from Mabua up to the A2, reaching the A2 just north of Phuduhudu.

The distances of the above link between Mabua and CKGR are approximately 168km from Mabua to the A2, on sandy roads, 119km of tar, and then 156km of cut line up to the main east west cut line to Xade. I realise it is very far but plan on getting back to RSA so we can vote on the 8th (have to do our bit for democracy). A lot will depend on the condition of the cut line from Mabua to the A2 as it may be better to have a longer and smoother route and wild camp somewhere east of the A2. Our set up is fairly quick and mobile.

We have Tracks for Africa 2016 and 2017 in the vehicles and also have satellite phones and, collectively, have done something like 140 trips of which many have been together.

Have been getting the info from LCCSA as well as 4x4 Community website and comments from members for many a year, which I save for reference. Many of the comments are sometimes in conflict with each other but that is to be expected as many people tow heavy trailers and drive a variety of vehicles as well, and there are also many approaches to overlanding. Our friends have some constraints and hence the time pressures over the links or transits.

Would very much appreciate any comment or information.

Thanks in advance."
    Last edited by ed rouillard; 2019/05/20 at 07:47 AM.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    ......... The post below is the queries we posted and we had few responses and spoke to a one of the folk. Did just what i posted and it worked out very well. Also more than happy to add info, reporting actual conditions:.........."
    Ed, please do so.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Ed, please do so.
    Hi Stan, Will do. Have notes and km readings of the conditions of the tracks and along the route we took, MABUA to Kang as well as the CKGR cut lines, to Xade, and will compose and post tomorrow.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ed rouillard View Post
    Hi Stan, Will do. Have notes and km readings of the conditions of the tracks and along the route we took, MABUA to Kang as well as the CKGR cut lines, to Xade, and will compose and post tomorrow.
    Have updated post and will add more in next 2 days.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to ed rouillard For This Useful Post:

Having just returned from Mabuasehube here are my comments on some of the routes bear in mind that the vehicle was a V6 Fortuner and no trailer.

Pretoria to Bray
    We took the N14 Sannieshof Bray route, tar road north of Sannieshof was potholed but not too bad, gravel section was corrugated but easily driveable at 80km/h. We camped at Tapama lodge in Bray and I can recommend it during the week but when we stayed there on our way home on the weekend we were subjected the noise from the local disco which was not great at all. Ablutions were clean with donkey fired hot water and thanks to the celebrity chef https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/a...ectid=11563096 we had a great meal at the restaurant. As a route comparison we went home via Mahikeng which was a better road but slower due to traffic and roadworks.

Bray to Mabuasehube
    We picked up our meat and beer at Kgalagadi Wholesales which is literally just after the border post on the left , meat was fantastic the veggies were standard Spar fair but close to sell by date. Beware of St Louis beer, nothing wrong with the beer but the cans are very thin and we lost 2 en route. You can draw money at Kgalagadi wholesales which is almost the last opportunity to get Pulas. Fuel was just opposite Kgalagadi Wholesales and cards were accepted. The road to Werda was an acceptable but corrugated gravel road (80kmh) while Werda to Kokotsha was tarred beware of free roaming livestock. We booked for Jack's pan at the Kgotla in Kokotsha which was relatively quick and painless but cash only. The route to Mabuasehube via the cutline was thick sand but we found it easy going (50 - 60kmh) except for a new section where the concession boundary had been changed, this was less sandy but very undulating which dropped the speed to about 25kmh for the roughly 30kms.

Mabuasehube to Nossob (Bosobogolo route)
    This was my first time on this route and with tires at 1.3bar and H4 it was a doddle, we did not even worry about turning off ATRAC or engaging L4. The usual warning of looking out for oncoming traffic was really our only concern.

Nossob to Kaa
    Once you cross the river the route was imho tougher than the Bosobogolo route, except there are no serious dunes but it is also quieter and we were the only vehicle to cross on the day whereas we saw 8 vehicles on the Bosobogolo route. Once again 1.3bar and H4 was more than adequate and it really is a great piece of wilderness to explore, but if you have problems you could be stuck for days so be prepared.

Swartpan Hukhuntsi Jack's pan
    Leaving Swartpan we headed straight to the northern cutline and encountered some of the thickest sand so far on our journey but once again the standard settings were more than adequate. In our planning we decided to take the safe route and go to Hukhuntsi to refuel in retrospect we could have stayed on the cutline from Kaa to Jack's and saved ourselves a lot of time. The road to Zutshwa is equivalent to the Bosobogolo route in difficulty and you have to pay a P50 fee to the community at the self service checkpoint at Zutshwa, the highlight on the route at Name Pan was the largest herd of springbuck I have ever seen we estimated way over a 1000 . The road to Hukhuntsi is a good gravel road and the town has all the amenities in terms of restocking, the road south was under construction all the way to Lokgwabe and it looks like it will be tarred. After Lokgwabe we encountered thick sand but nothing extraordinary, we skipped the western and southern access points to Jack's pan opting for the eastern one which was the more used and visible option. Jack's pan is worthy of it's own write up when I get the time, it was that good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast