Question Five days from Joburg to Lusaka - Route recommendations needed

Hi all,

My girlfriend and I will be travelling from Johannesburg to Lusaka (one-way) on Monday and have allocated ~5 days to allow us to see some things on the way, particularly in Botswana. Does anyone have any good recommendation for routes, stops, and camps for a five-day itinerary from Johannesburg to Lusaka through Botswana?

I have been to Chobe before and love it, but the section from the SA border to Chobe seems far and I am wondering how to fill up the time in between.

We will be travelling in a 4x4 and camping in a RTT.

Looking forward to your recommendations!

Default Re: Five days from Joburg to Lusaka - Route recommendations needed

Unfortunately it's still too wet to do most of Kafue, or Liuwa Plains, otherwise I would have recommended some places there.
    BUT: You can easily do SA border to Kasane in a day then do a Chobe waterfront drive, and/or a boat drive on the river. Also think about spending time in Vic Falls or Livingstone and doing some Zambezi activities. From Livingstone, you could take the western Zambezi route (tar all the way) via Sesheke (or cut out Livingstone and go via Katima Mulilo to Sesheke), spend a night at Kabula Lodge, see the Sioma Falls, then up to Kafue via the central Hook Bridge road, spend a night or two at either Kasabushi (in the park) or KaingU (in the GMA, no park fees payable) and do some river boat drives, and there are some good game loops around Kasabushi. From there it's an easy four hours to Lusaka.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    Unfortunately it's still too wet to do most of Kafue, or Liuwa Plains, otherwise I would have recommended some places there.
    BUT: You can easily do SA border to Kasane in a day then do a Chobe waterfront drive, and/or a boat drive on the river. Also think about spending time in Vic Falls or Livingstone and doing some Zambezi activities. From Livingstone, you could take the western Zambezi route (tar all the way) via Sesheke (or cut out Livingstone and go via Katima Mulilo to Sesheke), spend a night at Kabula Lodge, see the Sioma Falls, then up to Kafue via the central Hook Bridge road, spend a night or two at either Kasabushi (in the park) or KaingU (in the GMA, no park fees payable) and do some river boat drives, and there are some good game loops around Kasabushi. From there it's an easy four hours to Lusaka.
    Hi Tony,

Thank you for the quick response and the excellent tips! We will try to camp just after the SA border and then make the drive up North and also follow your suggestions for Zambia (they look magnificent).

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Crosenvold For This Useful Post:

What about Khama Rhino? It is always good for two nights.

East of Palapye is (Goo) Moremi Gorge, nice gorge if you like to go for a hike.

Further North is Kukonje Island. But I have no idea if it is accessible at this time of the year
    Last edited by Mabe; 2019/04/28 at 11:06 PM.

JHB- Khama Rhino
    Khama Rhino - Elephant Sands
    Elephant Sands - Kasane

This will not stress you on the driving to Kazungula. Just did Gabs to Kazungula on Thursday, its a big stretch