T4A and Tracks4Africa Guide on the iphone

Default T4A and Tracks4Africa Guide on the iphone

I used T4A on my iphone for a recent trip to Botswana. Overall very happy with it, but I always used OsmAndMaps to check because sometimes T4A wanted to take us on routes that were not so easy. For instance coming out of Ghoha North Gate heading towards Ihaha it suggested we go straight, whereas OsmAndMaps suggest we avoid this route as it was extremely deep sand. I checked at the gate and they agreed with OsmAndMaps that we turn left and head North until we hit the Kachikau to Savuti/Linyanti Road and then turn and head towards Kachikau.

My question is this. Google Maps updates very often. OsmAndMaps updates often. Maps.me updates often. The version of T4A is dated Oct 31 2018. How often is it updated?

A few other instances when using T4A, I was put on roads that had not been used for months before and they had very deep sand. Traveling solo, this concerned me, because if I got stuck I knew it would be a long time before someone came along that road.

Another concern is the time that it says it takes to get from one point to another. After a while I added about 25% to the time and it became more realistic. I checked this out with a few others that I met on our travels and they had the same experience. Sometimes I tried quite hard to see if I could do it within the time T4A said it would take. But could not do it.

I have used Tracks4Africa guide a number of times in SA and in Botswana and I find that invariably the telephone numbers are wrong. This is ok in SA as I could look up the numbers on internet, but where you don't have a data connection such as Botswana, it does cause problems. So again the question. How often do they update the info?

Cheers
    Rob

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Robone For This Useful Post:

Default Re: T4A and Tracks4Africa Guide on the iphone

Quote Originally Posted by Robone View Post
    I used T4A on my iphone for a recent trip to Botswana. Overall very happy with it, but I always used OsmAndMaps to check because sometimes T4A wanted to take us on routes that were not so easy. For instance coming out of Ghoha North Gate heading towards Ihaha it suggested we go straight, whereas OsmAndMaps suggest we avoid this route as it was extremely deep sand. I checked at the gate and they agreed with OsmAndMaps that we turn left and head North until we hit the Kachikau to Savuti/Linyanti Road and then turn and head towards Kachikau.

My question is this. Google Maps updates very often. OsmAndMaps updates often. Maps.me updates often. The version of T4A is dated Oct 31 2018. How often is it updated?

A few other instances when using T4A, I was put on roads that had not been used for months before and they had very deep sand. Traveling solo, this concerned me, because if I got stuck I knew it would be a long time before someone came along that road.

Another concern is the time that it says it takes to get from one point to another. After a while I added about 25% to the time and it became more realistic. I checked this out with a few others that I met on our travels and they had the same experience. Sometimes I tried quite hard to see if I could do it within the time T4A said it would take. But could not do it.

I have used Tracks4Africa guide a number of times in SA and in Botswana and I find that invariably the telephone numbers are wrong. This is ok in SA as I could look up the numbers on internet, but where you don't have a data connection such as Botswana, it does cause problems. So again the question. How often do they update the info?

Cheers
    Rob

For the GPS maps there is normally two releases every year. So do the math. These days, I also tend to put more trust in Maps.me. But, it's always nice to have redundancy, so I have about 4 or 5 different apps for cases where there may be some uncertainty.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Just a question as I haven't used T4A in a very long time...

How does it compare to Maps.me/Google regarding roads in general? If they both have the same roads as you mentioned, is it not better to use the more updated and accurate time map?

T4A used to have roads on that no other app had... but not sure about it today.

I remember the POI's in T4A used to pretty good as well but Apps like Google Maps get updated by users and reviewed with things like tel numbers etc.

I'm really keen on getting it again but for R900 I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Just a question as I haven't used T4A in a very long time...

How does it compare to Maps.me/Google regarding roads in general? If they both have the same roads as you mentioned, is it not better to use the more updated and accurate time map?

T4A used to have roads on that no other app had... but not sure about it today.

I remember the POI's in T4A used to pretty good as well but Apps like Google Maps get updated by users and reviewed with things like tel numbers etc.

I'm really keen on getting it again but for R900 I'm not sure if it's worth it anymore.

This is a personal opinion, but I'm not sure it's worth it any more. I've been using an iPad Mini (and iPhone as backup) for basically the last 3 or 4 years and haven't found any roads (large parts of Botswana, some of Zim, Zambia, Namibia and Mozambique) that didn't show on at least one of my apps. Especially in southern Mozambique, I thought the Apps were better than T4A for some of the sandy tracks. Before that I had a Garmin Montana with T4A which I actually really enjoyed - especially the breadcrumbs feature, which I still haven't found an app that does it as well as the Garmin. But in terms of UI, the Montana was poor and it could only do one thing. Also, the updates for T4A were too expensive in my opinion.

Also, I think with the exponential growth in users of apps such as Maps.me their mapsets will only improve. For that same reason - lack of users, I don't really see how T4A can stay relevant and compete. Maps.me also uses the OSM maps that are used very widely and by many apps, so they should be extremely accurate and getting more so almost every day.

In fact, you can probably compare the roads you're going to travel on Google Maps with what you can see on T4A while you're planning a trip. It might make for interesting reading.

From my experience, T4A was ahead of the game 10 years ago, at the time, their maps were the only ones you could trust outside our borders and off the main roads. But that isn't the case any more, and their way of getting people to manually confirm the roads that were used, is probably not going to cut it any more. (As a disclaimer; I'm speaking from memory here, they may have changed the way they update their maps..)

With that being said, I still absolutely love their paper maps and use them extensively. I have just about all their paper maps. I also have the Guide App but don't use it often...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

Thanks for the detailed answer Johan. I also like the T4A maps and use the A3 Atlas most of the time.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Choppie81 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    Thanks for the detailed answer Johan. I also like the T4A maps and use the A3 Atlas most of the time.
    I also have the A3 Atlas. The map enclosure is fantastic. I must admit I was not impressed with the detail of mapping. The tracks in Botswana need more detail.

I still favour T4A for dirt roads but also have ME plus OsmAnd.

I hear with OsmAnd you can import Tracks and Waypoints from a GPX file - exporting from Base Camp. I have yet to try this.

(The latter incidentally has a new tracking feature.)
    https://osmand.net/blog/osmand-tracker-0-4-released.

I think when comparing T4A versus the rest it depends on which area you are mapping.

I don't think I would spend R900 on a new T4A version.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

#Robone

You have to set your own average speed. Mapsource, edit, preference, routing, driving speeds.

You also have to tell T4A which roads you prefer eg. faster route, shorter distance, prefer highways or minor roads, etc.

As I have said before: do not blame the app if ...........
    Last edited by reebok; 2019/04/28 at 01:08 PM.
    Christo Sauerman
    Hilux DC 1991
    2.2 petrol
    4x4

Quote Originally Posted by reebok View Post
    #Robone

You have to set your own average speed. Mapsource, edit, preference, routing, driving speeds.

You also have to tell T4A which roads you prefer eg. faster route, shorter distance, prefer highways or minor roads, etc.

As I have said before: do not blame the app if ...........
    If..... what. !!!!! I have used many navigational apps as mentioned in my 1st post. This app is wrong in all instances. I always chose easy routes and it gave wrong times and wrong roads.

And the discussions I held with others, confirmed this. I think T4A needs a rethink. Until you made this comment I was prepared to give them leeway.
    Last edited by Robone; 2019/04/29 at 08:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robone View Post

Cheers
    Rob
    I seriously do not understand the issue.

I use Google Maps in cities, and T4A for the offroad bits. I plot my own way points beforehand, and figure it out from there. I prefer the back roads. And I will generally opt for the 'deep sand' option. I reckon T4A did its job.

I generally grab numbers I need from updated sources before I leave, and if I have specific questions and do not want to roam on data, I call around to get the details I need. Or I ask the local folk. Most are very helpful in Bots.

Any set back or re-route is part of the fun.

My question being: did you die ?

Nissan Patrol GRX 4.5

The app is not wrong. Give it the correct information and it will guide you to your destination.
    Had this issue in the the first year of using T4A until a kind traveler showed me the error in my thinking.
    So enjoy and do for once take the sandy road. You maybe in for a surprise.
    Christo Sauerman
    Hilux DC 1991
    2.2 petrol
    4x4

Just came back from 3 week tour using T4A(Garmin), we punched in Linyanti from North Gate and after driving the worst sand road ever(2 old broken down trucks along the road) we counted down as the GPS said our destination is a couple of meters away, after driving for 10 hours we found nothing. The Linyanti Public campsite was nowhere to be seen, the GPS rerouted and said we had to drive another 8 hours to get to the campsite. After driving and searching another 2 hours it was pitch dark and we had nowhere to go, luckily I saw a faint light in the bushes, it was Kings pool lodge staff, they were busy revamping the lodge. And it came to be the campsite was another 30km's away on the transit route, and not another 8hours drive, T4A didnt want to route us the 30km route. And we didnt enter any pit stops, wasnt very happy with T4A, and it couldn't get the driving time right, only time it was accurate was when on a tar road.
    But dont expect me to drive 40km/h in the Moremi.

I bought it a month ago and is updating it now, hopefully it was because it needed to be updated.

Email them - they rely on feedback from the forum.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

My 5CW. We have used T4A in Chobe, through Savuti and Moremi and found it indispensable if set with the correct settings and accept that it will not be 100% accurate because many of the roads are seasonal. T4A on GPS and a good paper map is our preferred setup. Used the 18.10 version through CKGR for 8 days in November last year and I would say at least 95% accurate. I am planning a trip to Zimbabwe and Zambia and am using Basecamp for the first time and have found the Stellenbosh office of T4A most helpful.
    Defender 110 td5

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    Email them - they rely on feedback from the forum.
    +1

I always study my route on my PC, or map, before driving it. Relying purely on the GPS, blindly following it, can and will, land you in trouble as happened above.