Ford & Mazda Advice on 2017 Everest with high mileage

Question Advice on 2017 Everest with high mileage

Hi everyone, I need some advice. I am considering purchasing a 2017 Everest 2.2 XLT A/T, but it has 120 000 kms on the clock

The vehicle is otherwise in excellent condition, think it was a rental or dealer car. Has never had an accident (did the neccessary history checks) and is very clean. As a matter of fact, the condition vs models I have seen with fewer miles is much better, especially the interior which looks brand new.

I would buy the vehicle with an extended warranty. I only do about 16 kms to and from work a day, so in a few years, the mileage would even itself out.

Do you think it's a good idea? Vehicle has FSH with Ford, but I have never owned a vehicle with such high miles, or owned a Ford. Is there anything I need to look out for?

Default Re: Advice on 2017 Everest with high mileage

I don't want to jinx you, but 120,000kms is not considered high mileage any more.

And it sounds like the previous owner only did long trips (rental car?) which are actually better for the vehicle in the long run. Most rental companies (Avis etc) are VERY pedantic about their vehicles.

Short trips (8kms at a time) kill most diesels within 50,000kms.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Interesting...
    I stay 8km from my office. Having a company car, I rarely take the Everest (2.2 XLS 4x4 Man) to work. Usually only when leaving on trips from the office. I see it reaches proper working temperature only as I get to work. I like to drive at least another 5-10km after it has reached "operating" temperature, if town driving. Other than that, 90% of my driving is long trips.

I would assume it is excessive wear on the amount of cold starts that causes problem?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AntonN For This Useful Post:

If its wear due to cold starts then logically it should kill most petrols within 50,000kms too right? Cold starts aren't great for an engine, but... considering this then its a miracle that we have so many petrols and diesels reaching 100,000kms or even more

Quote Originally Posted by AntonN View Post

I would assume it is excessive wear on the amount of cold starts that causes problem?
    yep, as well as the accumulation of sulphuric acid in the oil especially if you are using 500ppm diesel

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...id_in_Motor_oi

If I was driving only short distances, I'd consider an intermediate oil change.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I had not stopped to think about this question of using a diesel vehicle for low mileage. Very interesting this point of view. I have a ranger 2.2 2013 and I use to go and back to work, approximately 16 to 17km per course, totaling about 32km per day. I hope this mileage is not harmful.

On the formation of soot, this is quite true, it will accumulate more soot in the DPF and there could be problems with that. Luckily at this mileage I drive I had no problems with soot, I believe that because more than half the route is on the highway, and not in the drive and stop of the city.

Better buy a gas car or a bycicle!

I do this for the past twenty one years with diesels with no problem! Swambo, the same, with the majority of vehicles Diesel. What I do do is to shorten the services from 15k kms to 10k kms. (Sell my vehicles at around 200k kms - never had a vehicle starting to consume oil)

Surely it is not ideal, but it is a bad quality diesel machine that would be kaput after 50k kms.

Bostoe