CampSavvy Review: Hotrods Cookout BBQ portable braai

Lightbulb CampSavvy Review: Hotrods Cookout BBQ portable braai

Sometimes when you arrive at a campsite they either donít have braais available or theyíve got built in braais which are not in a convenient place and in that case, itís very useful to have a portable braai.
    I didnít have a very long list of criteria but it wasnít easy finding something that fit all of those criteria. Ultimately, I settled on the Hotrods Cookout BBQ.

Read my review of this braai on the CampSavvy blog: Hotrods Cookout BBQ portable braai or see the video review on my CampSavvy YouTube channel

Drive: Nissan Hardbody DC TD 16V 2007
    Camp with: Jurgens Xplorer 2010 with a couple of mods

Default Re: CampSavvy Review: Hotrods Cookout BBQ portable braai

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...optional-alarm

I asked you to post the review here on the forum some time ago but your reply stated at the time, along with a lecture on how the internet supposedly works, that one has freedom of choice to click on links, which I will use then by not reading your review or looking at your video. So, once more, I won't be one of the clicks you will gain by trying to drive traffic to your sites.

Pity though as I really want to learn more about braaing stuff on a fire, especially with a braai called BBQ something.
    "Stare, pry, listen, eavesdrop. Die knowing something, you are not here long"
    Walker Evans, Photographer

I'd rather buy one of these and have money left over for camping:

https://www.takealot.com/metalix-lar...B&gclsrc=aw.ds
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post

I asked you to post the review here on the forum some time ago but your reply stated at the time, along with a lecture on how the internet supposedly works, that one has freedom of choice to click on links, which I will use then by not reading your review or looking at your video. So, once more, I won't be one of the clicks you will gain by trying to drive traffic to your sites.

Pity though as I really want to learn more about braaing stuff on a fire, especially with a braai called BBQ something.
    Here you go from the website

Sometimes when you arrive at a campsite they either donít have braais available or theyíve got built in braais which are not in a convenient place and in that case, itís very useful to have a portable braai.
    When I started searching for potable braais I found a surprising number of them available, each with its own benefits and own shortcomings, and it wasnít an easy choice at the end of the day.

What I was looking for

I set up a list of criteria.

The first and one of the most important for me was that I needed a braai that was easy to assemble, easy to clean.

It needed to be height adjustable. In other words, I do not want a braai that I need to put onto a table to be able to stand and braai, or where Iíve got to sit down and braai on the ground because itís so small and low or that I have to bend down every time I need to turn over the meat. I needed something that I comfortably stand and braai at.

It also needed to be small enough so that I could easily pack it and easily easily fit under the bed in the caravan.

And then very important, I wanted something where the grid was height adjustable. I find it frustrating to braai at a particular heat all the time, where the grid canít be lowered or raised to alter the heat on the meat itself.

It wasnít a very long list of criteria but it wasnít easy finding something that fit all of those criteria. Ultimately, I settled on the Hotrods Cookout BBQ.

What do you get in the Hotrods Cookout BBQ bag?

Packed up it comes comes in itís own bag. It has a diameter of 425mm, about the size of a Cadac Skottel skaar, for those of you that own one of those. Maybe the diameterís slightly smaller. It is made from a durable enamel baked steel and weighs 5.6 kg.

Packed away in its bag

It comes with a foot plate, the grid, as well as a grid that fits inside the braai itself, so that your coals are lifted off the bottom. This allows you to get air flow underneath your coals, which I think is important.
    It also comes with two ďtubesĒ used for supporting the pan of the braai. These two can be combined or one of them can be used to allow you to set the height of your braai. Lastly, there is the pan of of the braai.
    I still keep mine in the original packaging that came it with. It just makes it easier to transport and so that it doesnít damage when driving on corrugated roads.
    The pan is nice and deep. Within the pan goes the coal grid so your coals or wood goes on top of that, so you can get a air flow from underneath.

Assembling the Hotrods Cookout BBQ

When assembling the braai you actually screw the two column units into each other. This in turn screws on to the foot stand. The pan fits over a central ďtubeĒ that is house inside the one column. Then grid in turn fits into this ďtubeĒ.

[https://campsavvy]

Inside the column there is a spring pushing this ďtubeĒ up. This allows you to easily adjust the grid to five different heights. It also allows you to swivel the grid 360 degrees which is sometimes useful, depending on the where the hottest area of the fire is.

Because the to center columns can be combined, the pan of the braai can be set to a very comfortable height to braai at. Here is a view of the braai set at full height with the grid fairly low. The adjustable knob on the side can be clearly seen.

Also, if youíre really, really lazy, you can assemble it in such a way, by using only one of the two columns, that you can sit and braai. I can have my beer and I can literally sit and braai which I think is a nice touch. Sometimes, thatís just what you want to do.

Where to order from

I ordered mine via Tentco in Boksburg. They do order directly from the supplier but they typically donít keep them in stock. If you do go to Tentco youíd have to ask them to order the Hotrods Cookout BBQ for you because youíre not going to see it on the shelf.
    Takealot.com also stock the Hotrods Cookout BBQ.

Summary

I have been using the Hotrods Cookout BBQ for some time now and I believe it fits all the criteria that I set for for the braai I wanted. I do find it more practical than some of the smaller units, although they are very compact and easy to assemble the Hotrods Cookout BBQ can adjust in height. To me the fact that the grid can adjust in height is very important.
    And until next time, keep on braaiing and keep on camping.

Youtube video

Tags: CAMP BRAAI HOTRODS COOKOUT BBQHOTRODS COOKOUT BRAAI PORTABLE BRAAI

I think it would help to watchthe youtube video
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

6. The Following User Says Thank You to whosthejman For This Useful Post:

That braai looks like it will fall over too easily.

I still love my Kwikbraai... at half the price.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Choppie81 For This Useful Post:

I have to agree

I prefer to use a Cobb on caping
    Really portable
    Wolverine : 93' Range Rover Classic 3.9L EFI

Quote Originally Posted by Riaan van Wyk View Post

To each his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Choppie81 View Post
    That braai looks like it will fall over too easily.

I still love my Kwikbraai... at half the price.
    Not at all. The base plate is as wide as the pan. I've even had a no 3 cast iron potjie on it, though it was placed in the centre of the grid. It's very stable.

Quote Originally Posted by whosthejman View Post
    I have to agree

I prefer to use a Cobb on caping
    Really portable
    I have a cob too but it didn't quite work for me when I needed a standard braai. The diameter was too small for just a regular braai on a grid. I guess this depends on how much meat you have to braai. I like to break in such a way that all the meat comes off the braai at the same time.

I also tried to use it with my large pan. It worked OK but to just to long to get the pan hot enough. On the bigger break I could throw some twigs, a couple of things pieces of wood, put the pan on and have breakfast going on about 5 minutes. Didn't work quite that way with the Cobb.

I do love the Cobb. It's awesome for chicken. I've even used it in the house in the winter with the power issues. Hardly any smoke at all and works a charm.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardvr26 View Post
    Not at all. The base plate is as wide as the pan. I've even had a no 3 cast iron potjie on it, though it was placed in the centre of the grid. It's very stable.
    The Kwikbraai is a great product and I really appreciate the quality of it. I did take a serious look at it since it is really portable. Folded size was however not at the top of my personal priority list. There were two factors that made me decide that it was not quite what I was looking for :
    1) I would have to put it onto something else if I wanted to stand and braai
    2) I would not be able to adjust the hight of the grid

I do fully agree that it can't be beaten for size when packed away.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Gerhardvr26 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gerhardvr26 View Post
    The Kwikbraai is a great product and I really appreciate the quality of it. I did take a serious look at it since it is really portable. Folded size was however not at the top of my personal priority list. There were two factors that made me decide that it was not quite what I was looking for :
    1) I would have to put it onto something else if I wanted to stand and braai
    2) I would not be able to adjust the hight of the grid

I do fully agree that it can't be beaten for size when packed away.
    For me it's more of a size thing. We're just a family of three and we don't tow. Everything goes in the drawer system's ammo boxes. Most places have braai's or a large fireplace where we just take hot coals from.

But then again... would be nice for a day trip somewhere with the entire family where braai facilities are not up to scratch.