What to look for when buying a second hand kb300 4x4

Default What to look for when buying a second hand kb300 4x4

Hi guys, so I've been looking for a 4x4 for a while, and have finally settled on a KB 300. I've only got maximum 80k to spend however, so will be looking at the relatively high mileage ones and so was wondering what to look out for, and if anyone has any examples that would be great!
    Thanks in advance

Default Re: What to look for when buying a second hand kb300 4x4

Quote Originally Posted by DBsomeone View Post
    Hi guys, so I've been looking for a 4x4 for a while, and have finally settled on a KB 300. I've only got maximum 80k to spend however, so will be looking at the relatively high mileage ones and so was wondering what to look out for, and if anyone has any examples that would be great!
    Thanks in advance
    Im in jhb more than willing to come check with u when interested in one but obviously the basics are to be checked
    ISUZU KB300LX DMAX mine / 1.4tdci with software exhaust and intercooler and watermeth injection /dad-kb300 dteq kb5 4x4 /uncle kb300 4x2 dteq kb5 /step dad. Kb6 kb300 4x4 auto all double cabs

3. The Following User Says Thank You to giolanman For This Useful Post:

Thanks that would be much appreciated, I will definitely let you know, I'm not too familiar with diesels as I've always worked on petrol engines

Howzit,

I bought a 2008 KB300 4x2 with 331k on the clock 3.5 years ago. In my experience, I'd check the following, obviously relevant to the KB5 range:

• Service History (I was lucky, mine was full history at Isuzu dealer). Look especially to see if you can find out when gearbox and diff oils were changed. Give the VIN to a dealer, they can tell you all the history.
    • It's very easy to see down between the radiator and bumper when the bonnet is open, check for rust/accident damage.
    • Crankshaft pulley oil seal leak. It's easy to change, just requires taking the radiator fan and shroud out. Use a 3/4" impact wrench. I only say this as mine sprung a leak at 400k, but because the seal had gone hard and brittle.
    • Cab and Bin mounts. I've heard stories of guys having issues with theirs. I never had a problem.
    • Front suspension noise. Mine had a funny knock/click at full lock, but nothing serious I don't think.
    • Back brake drums. I don't know if it was only mine, but I battled with drums going oval, even when new.
    • I suppose with the 4x4, check the hubs if possible, as well as 4 wheel drive engagement, as it is fly by wire.

But ja, these are all very minor things. I drove mine from 331k to 405k with not a single day where it let me down. And don't be fooled, the 4x2 is a very capable bakkie off-road. Unfortunately it was struck by lightning and subsequently written off by the insurers. I still miss the bakkie on almost a daily basis.

Hope this all helps you a bit!!