Standard vs Aftermarket Shock (Old Man Emu)

Default Standard vs Aftermarket Shock (Old Man Emu)

I've got a Nissan Pathfinder and I need to replace the rear shocks. I try and take gravel roads wherever I can. I won't qualify myself as a "hardebaard" when it comes to 4x4ing.

I have however regularly heard about Old Man Emu and the price difference for replacing rear shocks is about R5000 vs R3500 (Monroe).

What makes it that much better and why would you recommend it?

Default Re: Standard vs Aftermarket Shock (Old Man Emu)

I can speak from experience. My Toyota 88 DC had standard shocks. Years ago the road to kei mouth was the worst road in "south Africa", I tend to travel fast on gravel.

Then one day coming back to the farm from EL, I nearly lost the bakkie on a straight at highish speed, I hit a slight dip on the one side, how I saved it - I still amazed. I arrived back at the farm and all 4 shocks where so hot they could not be touched. The oil inside was boiling hot, so they did not work at all.

I replaced all the shocks with OME and did that route many, many times again. I always felt the shocks to compare, always cool.

Today there are other good makes as well. I swear by OME.

My 99 dc has ome.

My pajero has adjustable rancho. seams ok.

I need to change the 76 cruiser. the others I will change when they pack up as I have far too many vehicles.

{you only get the true potential when you do a complete spring / suspension upgrade. But for normal gravel travel upgrading just the shocks is good enough.}
    Last edited by K-9; 2019/04/25 at 11:26 AM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4