Camping between Moremi and Savuti. Dijara or Magotho?

Default Camping between Moremi and Savuti. Dijara or Magotho?

Hello, this is my first post here. I'll be travelling from Joburg to Vic Falls this late may to early June for 15 days on a self driven trip with 3 cars and a group of 15 ppl.

I'm writing to ask for an advice. In which camping would you suggest me to stop between Moremi and Savuti? Leaving Maun I have reserved one night at the 3rd bridge campsite, then I'd like to stop in the Khwai area or Madabe and the next day stop in Savuti campsite (any suggestion on how to find a spot there is welcomed...) or just go straight through it up to Kavimba.

My fav choices would be Dijara or Magotho, which of the two you would pick and why? Any other suggestion?

Thank you
    Francesco

nb: thanks to everyone contributing to these boards since I'm getting lot of infos just by reading you!

Default Re: Camping in the CKGR

Has anyone got an idea about the road conditions in the CKGR. Is it wet from all the rain etc?
    If any forum member is around, we are 4 in a White Ranger 4x4 with NP plates, travelling over the following days. Maybe nice to stop & chat.
    30 - 1 of May - Sunday pan - CKSUN04
    02 - 03 - 4 of May - Passarge Pan - CKPAS03
    05 - 6 - 7 of May Piper Pan -CKP02
    08 - 9 of May Letiahau Pan - CKWIL06
    Then off to Kumaga
    Last edited by regmark; 2019/04/23 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling
    2011 I30 Huyundai platcar
    2017 Ford Ranger D/Cab 2.2 TdCi XLS 4x4 Auto

Default Re: Camping between Moremi and Savuti. Dijara or Magotho?

Quote Originally Posted by Fitopiano View Post
    Hello, this is my first post here. I'll be travelling from Joburg to Vic Falls this late may to early June for 15 days on a self driven trip with 3 cars and a group of 15 ppl.

I'm writing to ask for an advice. In which camping would you suggest me to stop between Moremi and Savuti? Leaving Maun I have reserved one night at the 3rd bridge campsite, then I'd like to stop in the Khwai area or Madabe and the next day stop in Savuti campsite (any suggestion on how to find a spot there is welcomed...) or just go straight through it up to Kavimba.

My fav choices would be Dijara or Magotho, which of the two you would pick and why? Any other suggestion?

Thank you
    Francesco

nb: thanks to everyone contributing to these boards since I'm getting lot of infos just by reading you!
    Definitely Magotho, for your group size try site 2, 4 or 5. Close to river. See my (and other) comments in https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...20#post4080520
    '89 LR 110 V8

Quote Originally Posted by regmark View Post
    Has anyone got an idea about the road conditions in the CKGR. Is it wet from all the rain etc?
    If any forum member is around, we are 4 in a White Ranger 4x4 with NP plates, travelling over the following days. Maybe nice to stop & chat.
    Then off to Kumaga
    I updated on that THREAD.
    https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...r-updates-2016

Magotho definitely. Inside of amazing wildlife area.

-juha
    Last edited by Juha S.; 2019/04/23 at 07:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fitopiano View Post

Thank you
    Francesco

I don't know either of those camps but we stayed at Dizhana Community Camp sites for 2 nights and what a pleasure. It is a few km from Madabe Village on the Maun side. We were met by Shine who was a most gracious host. Fire wood was for sale. Lots of game along the Kwhai River. We had camp site 5 which overlooked a water hole and each site had its own ablutions. Campsite 5 with views over the water hole as you shower. Hot water from a Donkey fired by wood or its own solar system. This campsite was so much better than any others we have been to, and clean. The Community really take pride in this Campsite.

Cheers
    Rob
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dhizana.jpg 
Views:	192 
Size:	112.5 KB 
ID:	526608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dizhana 2.jpg 
Views:	207 
Size:	110.9 KB 
ID:	526609

Quote Originally Posted by Robone View Post
    I don't know either of those camps but we stayed at Dizhana Community Camp sites for 2 nights and what a pleasure. It is a few km from Madabe Village on the Maun side. We were met by Shine who was a most gracious host. Fire wood was for sale. Lots of game along the Kwhai River. We had camp site 5 which overlooked a water hole and each site had its own ablutions. Campsite 5 with views over the water hole as you shower. Hot water from a Donkey fired by wood or its own solar system. This campsite was so much better than any others we have been to, and clean. The Community really take pride in this Campsite.

Cheers
    Rob

Thats great to see that Dizhana is up and running - seemed there were some major issues with it in the past in terms of bookings and maintenance etc. We camped in that very same site two years back. It was by far the best campsite we've ever been to. Lying in the roof tent watching the hippos munch that weed in the torchlight, and hyenas circling the car below was a memory we will never forget.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Default Camping between Moremi and Savuti. Dijara or Magotho?

Hi there we stayed at Dijara camp from the 19th April to 25th April. You can also stay over at Tshaa camp site. They are big, have water, donkey for warm water, small basin (which Dijara does not have) same facilities as Dizhana foto above and is right on the river front as well. Hippos and Hyenas everyday/night with plenty of Ellies crossing river almost everyday.
    New signs was put up while were last week. 24th and 25th. Dijara and Tshaa camp site are all very well marked now.
    Dijara does not have running water for the showers, they pump water from the river into a green jo jo tank. That is for the flushing toilets and a tap under it. So if you chose to stay there, make sure to take solar showers.
    I would drive 2-5 min further and stay at Tshaa.
    Last edited by Philly; 2019/05/01 at 06:36 PM.
    Name:Phillip de Bruin
    Nickname: Philly
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

Quote Originally Posted by Philly View Post
    Hi there we stayed at Dijara camp from the 19th April to 25th April. You can also stay over at Tshaa camp site. They are big, have water, donkey for warm water, small basin (which Dijara does not have) same facilities as Dizhana foto above and is right on the river front as well. Hippos and Hyenas everyday/night with plenty of Ellies crossing river almost everyday.
    New signs was put up while were last week. 24th and 25th. Dijara and Tshaa camp site are all very well marked now.
    Dijara does not have running water for the showers, they pump water from the river into a green jo jo tank. That is for the flushing toilets and a tap under it. So if you chose to stay there, make sure to take solar showers.
    I would drive 2-5 min further and stay at Tshaa.
    Thanks for the update. Any photos of the campsites themselves?

Camp site at Dijara no2. Unfortunately I didnít take of Tshaa. But there is nice big camp sites, as well as smaller sites.
    Name:Phillip de Bruin
    Nickname: Philly
    2014 Toyota Prado 150 VX

Quote Originally Posted by regmark View Post
    Then off to Kumaga

We book whole Botswana, Caprivi strip up to Victoria falls

Your number 1 booking agency in botswana
    Botswana tourism is one of the best in World.

WE BOOK: 4X4 cars, campsites, lodges, game drives, scenic flights, park fees, transfers, safari activities,tour guides,Mekoro(canoe) & boat trips.

#Okavango Delta luxury lodges packages
    #Chobe luxury lodges & campsites packages
    #Moremi & Khwai camping packages
    #Makgadikgadi pan National Park camping packages
    #Nxa pan camping packages
    #CKGR camping packages
    #Kasane luxury lodges & camping packages
    #Tsodilo hills camping packages
    #Victoria falls luxury lodges & camping packages
    #Caprivi strip luxury lodges & camping packages
    #Kgalagadi camping packages

Oka swamp travel and tours agency
    Maun, Botswana
    http://www.okaswampstravelandtours.com
    [email protected]
    +26774639455/71691013
    What's App: +26774639455

Quote Originally Posted by skmorotsi View Post
    We book whole Botswana, Caprivi strip up to Victoria falls

Your number 1 booking agency in botswana
    Botswana tourism is one of the best in World.

WE BOOK: 4X4 cars, campsites, lodges, game drives, scenic flights, park fees, transfers, safari activities,tour guides,Mekoro(canoe) & boat trips.

#Okavango Delta luxury lodges packages
    #Chobe luxury lodges & campsites packages
    #Moremi & Khwai camping packages
    #Makgadikgadi pan National Park camping packages
    #Nxa pan camping packages
    #CKGR camping packages
    #Kasane luxury lodges & camping packages
    #Tsodilo hills camping packages
    #Victoria falls luxury lodges & camping packages
    #Caprivi strip luxury lodges & camping packages
    #Kgalagadi camping packages

Oka swamp travel and tours agency
    Maun, Botswana
    http://www.okaswampstravelandtours.com
    [email protected]
    +26774639455/71691013
    What's App: +26774639455
    The el cheapo company is back with no real input for the OP or other post in this thread. What are the rules? Someone needs to address this on behalf of forum members.

Default Re: Camping at Magotho?

Has anyone been to Magotho camp recently? I made a reservation for June 2020. The lady confirmed that there are toilets and showers. But according to most posts there are not?
    Prado V6
    Hilux GD6
    Bush Lapa Ratel 6 (BL454)

Quote Originally Posted by Robone View Post

Cheers
    Rob

I really am glad they are running properly now. Unfortunately we had such a terrible stay there last time that I will have to visit before I ever stay there again. Greed was the major problem back then.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinn View Post
    Has anyone been to Magotho camp recently? I made a reservation for June 2020. The lady confirmed that there are toilets and showers. But according to most posts there are not?
    There are ablution in Magotho since December 2018. They have cold shower water and a flushing toilet. NOT every stand has it ablutions though, just like anywhere, ablutions are shared.

We stayed at Magotho in October 2017 - absolutely magical place! Had a site right on the Khwai River, with elephants for days. Would beat Third Bridge as a camping site if it had decent ablutions. Just remember to sign in at the Khwai Trust office in Khwai village (just outside Moremi North Gate) before making your way to the Magotho camping area, if you do stay there.

On that note, 1 night at Third Bridge definitely not enough...try get more there if available and your trip allows for it.
    Last edited by WildThingCT; 2019/11/11 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by WildThingCT View Post
    We stayed at Magotho in October 2017 - absolutely magical place! Had a site right on the Khwai River, with elephants for days. Would beat Third Bridge as a camping site if it had decent ablutions. Just remember to sign in at the Khwai Trust office in Khwai village (just outside Moremi North Gate) before making your way to the Magotho camping area, if you do stay there.

On that note, 1 night at Third Bridge definitely not enough...try get more there if available and your trip allows for it.
    NO need to do that, they have operations office right at Magotho, you present your bookings and then they will show you the site.

Quote Originally Posted by Heinn View Post
    Hi Hein,
    we have just come back from Maghoto and there are toilets and showers. they are made out of canvas - the side walls that is :-) They are already falling apart so not sure how long they will last. There is water in the flushing toilets. Enjoy the trip!!