Jimny Door Rattle Issues

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Jimny Door Rattle Issues

Hi Guys,

I've got a 3rd Gen Jimny, 2016 model.

I absolutely love this car, but one thing that really bugs me is the terrible door rattling and closing sounds.

Theres definitely something loose in my door, cos it rattles like crazy when i'm driving on regular tar roads. Sounds like loose legos just bouncing around in the door lol. Will get down to the bottom of that this week.

Before the bad rattle (due to some obviously loose item in the door), the Jimny's doors generally all had a slight rattle when i went off road. When i close the doors, including the back door, the sound it creates is not a confidence builder. Makes the door feel like its made of tin. Is there anything you can do to a door to have it close with a more solid "thud" and less of a weak tin "Rattle"... Also is there something i can do to keep the doors from rattling in general. Any links or tips would be appreciated
    "Though the road is rocky, it sure feels good to me" Bob Marley

2016 Suzuki Jimny - Wrangler AT/SA+, Airlift 1000, Wizerd Bumper, Steel Undies, Rock Slider & Tow bar

Default Re: Jimny Door Rattle Issues

Quote Originally Posted by OD_1 View Post
    Hi Guys,

I've got a 3rd Gen Jimny, 2016 model.

I absolutely love this car, but one thing that really bugs me is the terrible door rattling and closing sounds.

Theres definitely something loose in my door, cos it rattles like crazy when i'm driving on regular tar roads. Sounds like loose legos just bouncing around in the door lol. Will get down to the bottom of that this week.

Before the bad rattle (due to some obviously loose item in the door), the Jimny's doors generally all had a slight rattle when i went off road. When i close the doors, including the back door, the sound it creates is not a confidence builder. Makes the door feel like its made of tin. Is there anything you can do to a door to have it close with a more solid "thud" and less of a weak tin "Rattle"... Also is there something i can do to keep the doors from rattling in general. Any links or tips would be appreciated
    Me too man. I hate the rattles, I'm at 45 000km now and it feels like every thing is rattling. All 3 doors. Both windows, cubby hole, Something behind the radio, back seats, seat belts, aerial lol. Had Suzuki look at the doors in the last service and they said they checked and tightened everything, it got worse lol. I've literally just given up now.
    Suzuki Jimny 2017
    Radical cups
    Steering damper
    Front Runner roof rack
    Floor board

We also got the 2016 model With 20 000 km bought it new als the same rattle on windows & doors but only with the window partly open or fully open once its closed no issu with window rattle’s i think it is the window rails below the opening side cause the rattle the passenger seat also do the same if no one os sitting in it
    Dealers changed the rail mecanism free of charge but later started to do the same if no one sits in it
    But other wise i like my wifes jimney allot quik to go anywere quikly in & out of town will only change for the new one but still no stock available

Quote Originally Posted by Alexaj View Post
    Me too man. I hate the rattles, I'm at 45 000km now and it feels like every thing is rattling. All 3 doors. Both windows, cubby hole, Something behind the radio, back seats, seat belts, aerial lol. Had Suzuki look at the doors in the last service and they said they checked and tightened everything, it got worse lol. I've literally just given up now.
    Lol, eish this cracked me up. I relate to all the above including aerial... How we going to stop this incessant rattling? Maybe i should investigate on some international forums and see if anyone else has solved this issue...

2016 Suzuki Jimny - Wrangler AT/SA+, Airlift 1000, Wizerd Bumper, Steel Undies, Rock Slider & Tow bar

Quote Originally Posted by OLi4 Chris View Post
    We also got the 2016 model With 20 000 km bought it new als the same rattle on windows & doors but only with the window partly open or fully open once its closed no issu with window rattle’s i think it is the window rails below the opening side cause the rattle the passenger seat also do the same if no one os sitting in it
    Dealers changed the rail mecanism free of charge but later started to do the same if no one sits in it
    But other wise i like my wifes jimney allot quik to go anywere quikly in & out of town will only change for the new one but still no stock available
    Mine had the same symptoms initially. If i had the window fully rolled down or fully closed the rattle would be gone, but in any other position it would freak out... I've not asked the dealer about it my side... maybe i'll take it there and see what their take on the issue is.

Its not leka if your 4x4 is rattling all over the place... it suppose to be stable... I hate it, feels like im re-entering the atmosphere when i'm just going round the block. If anyone has some words of wisdom. Please share!

Quote Originally Posted by OD_1 View Post
    Mine had the same symptoms initially. If i had the window fully rolled down or fully closed the rattle would be gone, but in any other position it would freak out... I've not asked the dealer about it my side... maybe i'll take it there and see what their take on the issue is.
    Ag they adjust some thing abit on the window rail but does the same later on i think it is just a floor bad design issue
    But i still love my jimney will go any were any time, the enjine actually are becoming more responsive now after 20 000km on clock still need to rev it but are not so slow in the gears as before

Rear door is my headache.(2016)
    Continues to rattle on gravel and sometimes tar.
    Had a go at tightening everything - didn't work. Took it into dealer and it was worse.

I think it is a poor design and I see new Jimny has a different mechanism. I am not impressed with the new design either.

Solution turn up the music!

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

There is a rubber disc on the side of the back door with an eccentric centre. Turning this allows the door to be adjusted so that it doesn’t rattle. Needs to be loosened, turned to the correct position and then tightened. Only had to adjust it once and it works well

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Woolf For This Useful Post:

Thanks! We tried that. Did not work. Even tried reversing it.
    I always wonder what is the correct position.

“Africa changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Paul Dold For This Useful Post:

Which door is it?My left side had a rattle,turned out to be the seatbelt buckle if there is no passenger using it it rattle against the side.

Solution turn up the music![/QUOTE]

Turn up what sound? If there is one thing that totally went South, is the sound system
    Ford Ranger 2.2 Supercab
    Suzuki Jimny -SWAMBO
    Merida 29'r for fun and pain.

It is a question of which is the lesser noise!

Quote Originally Posted by leonoost View Post
    Solution turn up the music!

Turn up what sound? If there is one thing that totally went South, is the sound system[/QUOTE]

For the rear door, put a piece of weather strip on the inside of the rear door catch.
    For the side doors put a piece of weather strip on the spot where the anti-rattle door rubbers touches the body.

No more rattles and a cheap solution. Have a look at the pictures.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3B41FB7C-02FC-41FD-BA97-4D09EA4B7FAA.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	526672   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E7280300-A1E6-4B13-A70D-3AE00F9BC53F.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	526673   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A3705798-0B31-46CD-9EEC-E5DF076D0A7E.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	45.4 KB 
ID:	526674  

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HeinrichC For This Useful Post:

I tried this on the back door. Did not work for me.

Maybe I will try again. I wonder whether there are other points of contact on the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Dold View Post
    I tried this on the back door. Did not work for me.

Maybe I will try again. I wonder whether there are other points of contact on the door?
    That is not good news, we have to sort this one out for you. I am sure you checked the following;

Do you have any additional weight on the back door other than the standard size spare wheel or anything on the inside of the rear door such as built it speakers, foldable table, etc.
    Is the spare wheel bracket and spare wheel tight and secure.
    If you open the rear door and grab hold of the door corners, is there any excessive movement if you move the door up and down.
    Is there any signs of wear on the rear door catch mechanism. You would normally see clear wear marks on the door catch.
    What is your tyre pressures for normal daily driving.

Thanks! Good List.

Thus far:

No weight on back door
    No wear on lock that I can see
    Spare wheel etc tight
    Tyre pressure varies 1.5 - 1.8

Investigating further!

Quote Originally Posted by Woolf View Post
    There is a rubber disc on the side of the back door with an eccentric centre. Turning this allows the door to be adjusted so that it doesn’t rattle. Needs to be loosened, turned to the correct position and then tightened. Only had to adjust it once and it works well
    Thank you for this awesome tip, did it to my Jimbo last night, what a difference!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Johnna For This Useful Post:

I saw a video where a guy used thin sprinkler pipes and pushes it in between the window slider and window that stopped the door window rattles

24. The Following User Says Thank You to spicydave For This Useful Post:

I think a Jimny is to rattling as a Wrangler Softop is to a leaking roof
    Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast