Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast

Default Re: Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache to look at buying one

Quote Originally Posted by Marthunis View Post
    Background

2017 Feb
    We bought a Disco 4 with about 120,000km from LR Durban. It was just outside of warranty, but I wasn't concerned because of the 6 month CP Act. In the 6 weeks we owned it, it broker 3 times and after it broke on Atlantis dunes with the LR Experience, we decided to give it back, as we were just going to start a 10,000km journey and wasn't willing to take the risk with my wife being pregnant.

2018 June
    We thought, maybe the Disco was a dud, because they are used off-road, let's buy a Range Rover big body which is still under warranty. It would probably not have been off-road and we will have a nice family vehicle. I drove it back from LR George, got home, drove it around town for less than a week and realized that something was wrong. Took it to LR Hillcrest and they couldn't pick up anything. I was adamant and forced them to do further testing and they found out there was oil in the turbo. They replaced the turbo at R70k, came out of the warranty. In the first 3 weeks of owning the car, it was at LR Hillcrest for 2/3 weeks. 6 weeks into owning it, we went to CT and limp mode kicked in going up Van Reenen's pass. Got it to Bloem hours later, there was a problem linked to the damage the turbo caused. I was once again not willing to take the chance with the vehicle, as we had endless hassles and a long road trip ahead, so gave it back.

My biggest disappointment is that it's clear that the dealerships don't want their warranty fund effected and hence give you a car with problems, so you can go fix the problem at another dealership and not theirs. I have lost complete faith in LR SA. I do however love the cars and love the off road capability. The Disco 4 is huge and with soon 3 babies under 3, we need 3 car seats to fit into one row.

It's between the following:
    Disco 4
    Volvo XC90, extremely reliable, but doesn't have a big enough boot and is not that off road safe, with the chassis not being made for that.
    Toyota Prado/LC 200 - The king of off road, but extremely unaffordable. I just can't justify paying at least R100k more for it compared to a Disco 4.

So, how can I make it work with the Disco 4, as we love the off road capability, the massive boot and that all 3 car seats can fit in? I know about The Centre in Durban, but what must I look out for when buying a Disco 4 with 130,000km plus or is it just stupidity?
    Thank you for sharing. I had to call the Director of LR SA to get Durban LR to take back the Disco 4, because they refused. My wife and I keep saying that it's the most comfortable car we've driven. Also with the 'indian/jewish' blood in me (not really) always wanting the best deal, I'll probably get another dud. I know I should just get a Prado, but damn, half a million for a car with 100,000km plus and who knows what that person did with such a capable car. I have found a XC90 with only 85,000km and with a brand new gearbox from Sweden. Only for R140,000. Thinking of this at least as a second vehicle. We just found out we are having a third, so have a few more months. Fortunately my father in law is taking over our brand new Ford Ranger, which we were forced to buy when in Bloem when the Ranger Rover broke.
    It sounds like you gave the LR's a good chance-and more!8)

I think you've answered your own question-but need to give fair consideration to other options-which is very sensible.

When you have the LC, you will surely look back and be pleased for your decision in the long run.

Good luck!8)
    "The problem with the world is that the intelligent people are full of doubts, while the stupid ones are full of confidence."

- Charles Bukowski

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    While a great choice, you ain't getting any 2017/7 RRS SC for under a bar. somehow based on the OP's previous choices of old high milers, I don't think is his intended territory.
    I paid R430,000 for the RR big body. But even that was too small. I built a structure that fits exactly into the Disco 4, it takes 12 ammo boxes and really makes life easy. It didn't fit the RR and will definitely not fit the RR sport, it's tiny and I don't think the RR sport can take 3 car seats in a row. Our church has been doing a series called Detox, and thus getting rid of all the junk in our lives. So we are trying to get rid of all our debt and buy the next car cash.

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    That XC90 sounds like a good deal. What year model is it? I own a Volvo and they are very safe cars to drive. Parts are expensive especially if the agents selling only. If you do purchase have this vehicle tested somewhere independent so that you have some assurance of what you buying. Good luck!
    It's a 2009 V8 (Yes, 4.4L naturally aspirated). It's a retired guy, who bought it from another old lady's estate. I know the family who brought Volvo into SA, so that helps.
    I was thinking the same, have it tested. I was thinking to buy it anyways, as we need to vehicles and I use my Harley as a second vehicle.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Marthunis For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Oppies3800 View Post
    LC 200 without any hesitation
    You have no idea the resistance I have had to have to not buy one. But at R550k for a 6 year old car with 150,000km. I really don't know. We want to buy cash and will only have R300k.

You have no idea the resistance I have had to have to not buy one. But at R550k for a 6 year old car with 150,000km. I really don't know. We want to buy cash and will only have R300k.
    I understand all that, but remember this:

There's something about expensive cars selling cheaply
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Ranier,
    Hi I would love to, he is down in the Cape.
    Because of the current fuel prices the Disco 4 V8's are selling way below the book value. I dont understand why because cost of ownership on a V8 is way below that of a diesel.
    I'm in Durban and come to JHB now and then. Have bought most my cars in JHB/CT, so don't mind travelling. Please hook me up, 074 285 5555

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    Sorry, calling my comment stupid is harsh. The OP said himself, he has just handed 2 lrs back.... Where did I say the LR was unreliable? Based on his argument, I drew a conclusion for him.. I don't own a d4, never will, my i10 does just fine.

And where do you get off inferring people are stupid, stupid?

EXCUSE me, I do not recall calling you STUPID. Literacy problem I presume.

Your comment was stupid and harsh for the better word, totally unjustified and as a Disco 4 owner like thousands of other owners I took umbrage to your stupid comment. The subject is Disco 4 so please read the OP's original post.

I paid R430,000 for the RR big body. But even that was too small. I built a structure that fits exactly into the Disco 4, it takes 12 ammo boxes and really makes life easy. It didn't fit the RR and will definitely not fit the RR sport, it's tiny and I don't think the RR sport can take 3 car seats in a row. Our church has been doing a series called Detox, and thus getting rid of all the junk in our lives. So we are trying to get rid of all our debt and buy the next car cash.
    For sure the RRS is not for you, I was merely illustrating that LR's can be extremely reliable. The RRS is after all a D3 in a pretty skirt.

What about some of the bakkie based SUV's - Fortuner, Everest etc.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

I have a 2013 Prado V6 for you........excellent nick, 130000km, I use the car daily

Or then this..............https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ICK?highlight=

But if possible PLEASE rather buy the Prado, I need an excuse to park that sexy, luscious, breegat, nice smelling, growling, al dente (frim yet soft), irresistible VX in my garage.

Jokes aside.........look at a V6 Prado. 7km/litre, superbly reliable and comfy everyday drive.

Or then a Petrol 200.

Or then if you REALLY feel like p*ssing me off, that gorgeous 100 V8..........but please do keep that as your last resort
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    For sure the RRS is not for you, I was merely illustrating that LR's can be extremely reliable. The RRS is after all a D3 in a pretty skirt.

What about some of the bakkie based SUV's - Fortuner, Everest etc.
    Too small, don't take 3 car seats and I've owned a tuna, honestly, the hardest ride I've ever had. I hated the car. With that being said, the 2005 Prado I had was a lot more comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    I have a 2013 Prado V6 for you........excellent nick, 130000km, I use the car daily

Or then this..............https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...ICK?highlight=

But if possible PLEASE rather buy the Prado, I need an excuse to park that sexy, luscious, breegat, nice smelling, growling, al dente (frim yet soft), irresistible VX in my garage.

Jokes aside.........look at a V6 Prado. 7km/litre, superbly reliable and comfy everyday drive.

Or then a Petrol 200.

Or then if you REALLY feel like p*ssing me off, that gorgeous 100 V8..........but please do keep that as your last resort
    Lyk my hierdie is 'n Oosthuizen probeem. Ek is ook een. Stuur besonderhede van die Prado.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    EXCUSE me, I do not recall calling you STUPID. Literacy problem I presume.

Your comment was stupid and harsh for the better word, totally unjustified and as a Disco 4 owner like thousands of other owners I took umbrage to your stupid comment. The subject is Disco 4 so please read the OP's original post.
    There you do it again. In your first post you infer that I am stupid. In your second, that I am illiterate. This is, of course, your opinion and I'm not going to ask if you are in any way qualified to make these judgments.

Now if you'd taken the more civilized approach and politely said that you disagreed with my post because, in your experience, the disco 4 seems to be reliable based on the fact that you have seen many with 400k km on them, I would probably have thanked you for input.

Now isn't that a much better outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    There you do it again. In your first post you infer that I am stupid. In your second, that I am illiterate. This is, of course, your opinion and I'm not going to ask if you are in any way qualified to make these judgments.

Now if you'd taken the more civilized approach and politely said that you disagreed with my post because, in your experience, the disco 4 seems to be reliable based on the fact that you have seen many with 400k km on them, I would probably have thanked you for input.

Now isn't that a much better outcome?
    Patrick

Please by quoting that your comment was stupid does not imply that you are in fact stupid, we all make stupid comments.
    How ever I am sorry and have to agree with you a more polite approach would have served a better purpose.

NICE TO BE IMPORTANT BUT A HELL OF A LOT MORE IMPORTANT TO BE NICE

15. The Following User Says Thank You to tgwinduna For This Useful Post:

I was scared of the out of warranty cost of owning a Disco4. Thus we sold ours. It was an awesome vehicle with no issues in the 3 years we had it.

I was still considering buying a disco 5 but after the extremely poor trade in offered by LR I left and bought something else.

I am not sure it will be the vehicle I would buy if I had to buy something out of warranty. The problem for me is the neccessary 'preventative' maintenance on these vehicles comes at quite a price. This is more than on Toyotas in my opinion. I have owned both. The Disco was a better drive than the Prado without a doubt. The 200 is close to par.

Maybe the 100k spent extra on a lc200 will be wisely spent. Having said that if anything broke on a 200 it will also not be cheap.

Good luck with finding a good vehicle.
    Pieter

17. The Following User Says Thank You to bones For This Useful Post:

How many cars do you see for sale with 400,000km It's not debatable.
    https://cars.usnews.com/cars-trucks/volvo/xc90
    https://www.businessinsider.com/car-...8-2018-10?IR=T
    https://www.foxnews.com/auto/volvo-t...ability-report

like I said. it's debatable.
    But I don't have a horse in this race so buy whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    These are all based on the same US consumer reliability rating.
    From the one article ‘... low predicted reliability rating.’

If one looks at the UK/EURO/AUS ratings, its vastly different. UK has the Mercedes C class as one of the most unreliable...

The consumer rating is also perhaps not the best indication, especially if one goes into the details of the complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    You are quoting the wrong car. I'm quoting the older version which was before they were bought out...

I have also owned a S60, which my mom now has and the only issue it had was a cut in the turbo pipe, R1,500 later it's fixed. Car runs like a dream.

Lyk my hierdie is 'n Oosthuizen probeem. Ek is ook een. Stuur besonderhede van die Prado.
    Dankie tog

PM jou sel en email dan stuur ek detail.

Bsically 2013, 130000km, BAIE solid en honest kar, 7,something km/liter.

BAIE nice kar.

Enigste fout is agterdeur wat squeak.
    "Yes, I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three".........Mick Jagger

Background

2017 Feb
    We bought a Disco 4 with about 120,000km from LR Durban. It was just outside of warranty, but I wasn't concerned because of the 6 month CP Act. In the 6 weeks we owned it, it broker 3 times...

It's between the following:
    Disco 4
    Volvo XC90, extremely reliable, but doesn't have a big enough boot and is not that off road safe, with the chassis not being made for that.
    Toyota Prado/LC 200 - ...

...but what must I look out for when buying a Disco 4 with 130,000km plus or is it just stupidity?

I would give LR a break for a while and go for the Prado or LC. What you spend extra at the beginning you usually save in maintenance and repairs later.

You can always go back to LRs later ...

Cheers

As a Land Rover fan and owner, and having owned a 120 series Prado, I would go Prado again without hesitation.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... LastLast