Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Default Was Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache - now Range Rover Supercharged

Background

2017 Feb
    We bought a Disco 4 with about 120,000km from LR Durban. It was just outside of warranty, but I wasn't concerned because of the 6 month CP Act. In the 6 weeks we owned it, it broker 3 times and after it broke on Atlantis dunes with the LR Experience, we decided to give it back, as we were just going to start a 10,000km journey and wasn't willing to take the risk with my wife being pregnant.

2018 June
    We thought, maybe the Disco was a dud, because they are used off-road, let's buy a Range Rover big body which is still under warranty. It would probably not have been off-road and we will have a nice family vehicle. I drove it back from LR George, got home, drove it around town for less than a week and realized that something was wrong. Took it to LR Hillcrest and they couldn't pick up anything. I was adamant and forced them to do further testing and they found out there was oil in the turbo. They replaced the turbo at R70k, came out of the warranty. In the first 3 weeks of owning the car, it was at LR Hillcrest for 2/3 weeks. 6 weeks into owning it, we went to CT and limp mode kicked in going up Van Reenen's pass. Got it to Bloem hours later, there was a problem linked to the damage the turbo caused. I was once again not willing to take the chance with the vehicle, as we had endless hassles and a long road trip ahead, so gave it back.

My biggest disappointment is that it's clear that the dealerships don't want their warranty fund effected and hence give you a car with problems, so you can go fix the problem at another dealership and not theirs. I have lost complete faith in LR SA. I do however love the cars and love the off road capability. The Disco 4 is huge and with soon 3 babies under 3, we need 3 car seats to fit into one row.

It's between the following:
    Disco 4
    Volvo XC90, extremely reliable, but doesn't have a big enough boot and is not that off road safe, with the chassis not being made for that.
    Toyota Prado/LC 200 - The king of off road, but extremely unaffordable. I just can't justify paying at least R100k more for it compared to a Disco 4.

So, how can I make it work with the Disco 4, as we love the off road capability, the massive boot and that all 3 car seats can fit in? I know about The Centre in Durban, but what must I look out for when buying a Disco 4 with 130,000km plus or is it just stupidity?
    Last edited by Dirk; 2019/06/24 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache to look at buying one

The question you should be asking yourself is "do I want to be standing on the side of the road, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, with 3 kids under 3yrs old in the car".... Based on the above I would go for the Volvo...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post
    The question you should be asking yourself is "do I want to be standing on the side of the road, in the dark, in the middle of nowhere, with 3 kids under 3yrs old in the car".... Based on the above I would go for the Volvo...
    You are not helping with the itch. I guess I should grow up and do the wise thing. Problem is my wife got me into 4x4 and now all I want to do is go on trips, go back to Vleesbaai dunes, Atlantis, Walvisbaai and all the dirt roads in the Cape. We had such fun.

Avoid diesel, go petrol - less chance of things going wrong.

if you don't need the space/7 seats, consider a 2016-17 RRS Supercharged - there are good bargains out there, and you'd still have 2-3 years left on the service plan.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

calling a volvo xc90 reliable is debatable.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ocin For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ocin View Post
    calling a volvo xc90 reliable is debatable.
    How many cars do you see for sale with 400,000km It's not debatable.

This is a tough one! I own a Disco 3 and it's on 233k. I went through many problems, luckily no crank issues, with the latest hdc, special programs randomly going on blink and this is something I'm currently attempting to troubleshoot. My last attempt is to pay LR dealer the R1500 to provide me with a detailed fault report because my indie fault machine cannot identify the source of the problem (so we throwing money at it). Anyway this does not solve your problem and I must say that the way you started off explaining your experience does not reflect the angst and emotion you and your wife must have gone through. My wife is at the gatvol stage and all she wants to drive now is a normal new car that does not regularly syphone money and always giving problems. So, I am looking at another Disco and it must be 2016 model onwards but they still a bit pricey and hence the reason for me attempting to resolve my current issue so we can make some alternate decisions. More and more I am tempted to look at other model cars because like you I am starting to lose faith in LR SA. The fact that you handed 2 vehicles back without any hassle says alot about purchasing a Disco and LR SA seem to wash their hands off from not accepting that they are part of the problem because there is no vetting process or set standard that is being maintained when it involves their brand. They are non compliant to their own policy and procedures hence you will find that dealers knowingly just sell problematic cars hoping to get away with a sale. Customer service is all about money nothing else and its shameful that LR SA is party to this practice and the motor industry regulators allows this to continue.

To end off, you should ask yourself whether your lucky packet Disco 4 purchase will provide you the joy and safety your family deserves given the expensive price of that LR lucky packet you may consider purchasing? Good luck with that roll of the dice decision and keep us posted.
    Last edited by Shade; 2019/04/20 at 10:10 AM.
    Discovery Landrover 3 tdv6 2008
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

My opinion: Not having owned any...I would spend extra on the Prado. Volvo is nice, but judging by how many non runners there are on gumtree they are either expensive to repair or there are not enough knowledgeable repairmen out there. My 2c.
    2009 Corsa Utility 1.7Dti (Business bakkie)
    2011 Honda CRV 2.4
    2007 Hyundai Atos (Tossie)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nitebob For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by NewLandy View Post

Honestly!!!! I just do not understand the mentality of the above answer, you speak of as though you have had a Disco 4 fail on you in the night stranded with 3 little ones in the car. I think not.

The most precious things in my life are my children and grand children and having them travelling everywhere they go in a Disco 4 gives me the best piece of mind, because it is known to have the best safety record than any other SUV 4x4 on the market. Since 2005 to date I have yet to find out or hear of fatality in a Disco 3 4 and Range Rover sport. WHY! It is because those three vehicles have two chassis, monocoque and ladder frame. Then on top of that you have probably the most versatile and capable 7 seater 4x4 available whether it be petrol or diesel. I or my workshop has over 2000 Disco 3 Disco 4's on our books and I have never in the 14 years of the Disco 3 or 4 heard of someone stranded in the middle of the night. I can personally vouch on my own experience that I collided with a Donkey between Skilpads Hoek and Zeerust doing 120 kph and we were completely unharmed, unhurt and still managed to drive my Disco 3 all the way back to Johannesburg.

The Disco 4 is undoubtedly far more reliable than the predecessor Disco 3 , better performance fuel consumption etc, We have quite a few of MY2010 coming up to 400 thousand kms , alot of the diesels had had their second cambelt change which is done every 168 thousand kilos. The phenomium is for nine years the Disco 4 benn on the market, we at Overland Worx , previously Landyworx have never ever replaced an injector on the TDV6 and SDV6 where as the Disco 3 thousands of.
    The Disco 4 V8 is just strawberries and cream, super reliable and the most awesome car to drive just heavy o fuel.

My answer to you Marthunis is that just ignore the above stupid comment and answer to your post above and it is well worth the headache to look for a good Disco 4, value for money you cannot do better.

13. The Following 22 Users Say Thank You to tgwinduna For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Nitebob View Post
    My opinion: Not having owned any...I would spend extra on the Prado. Volvo is nice, but judging by how many non runners there are on gumtree they are either expensive to repair or there are not enough knowledgeable repairmen out there. My 2c.
    Volvo is poor quality interior build and just ###### expensive to maintain especially if you take it to the dealers but then again everything is relative.
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Shade View Post
    This is a tough one! I own a Disco 3 and it's on 233k. I went through many problems, luckily no crank issues, with the latest hdc, special programs randomly going on blink and this is something I'm currently attempting to troubleshoot. My last attempt is to pay LR dealer the R1500 to provide me with a detailed fault report because my indie fault machine cannot identify the source of the problem (so we throwing money at it). Anyway this does not solve your problem and I must say that the way you started off explaining your experience does not reflect the angst and emotion you and your wife must have gone through. My wife is at the gatvol stage and all she wants to drive now is a normal new car that does not regularly syphone money and always giving problems. So, I am looking at another Disco and it must be 2016 model onwards but they still a bit pricey and hence the reason for me attempting to resolve my current issue so we can make some alternate decisions. More and more I am tempted to look at other model cars because like you I am starting to lose faith in LR SA. The fact that you handed 2 vehicles back without any hassle says alot about purchasing a Disco and LR SA seem to wash their hands off from not accepting that they are part of the problem because there is no vetting process or set standard that is being maintained when it involves their brand. They are non compliant to their own policy and procedures hence you will find that dealers knowingly just sell problematic cars hoping to get away with a sale. Customer service is all about money nothing else and its shameful that LR SA is party to this practice and the motor industry regulators allows this to continue.

To end off, you should ask yourself whether your lucky packet Disco 4 purchase will provide you the joy and safety your family deserves given the expensive price of that LR lucky packet you may consider purchasing? Good luck with that roll of the dice decision and keep us posted.
    Thank you for sharing. I had to call the Director of LR SA to get Durban LR to take back the Disco 4, because they refused. My wife and I keep saying that it's the most comfortable car we've driven. Also with the 'indian/jewish' blood in me (not really) always wanting the best deal, I'll probably get another dud. I know I should just get a Prado, but damn, half a million for a car with 100,000km plus and who knows what that person did with such a capable car. I have found a XC90 with only 85,000km and with a brand new gearbox from Sweden. Only for R140,000. Thinking of this at least as a second vehicle. We just found out we are having a third, so have a few more months. Fortunately my father in law is taking over our brand new Ford Ranger, which we were forced to buy when in Bloem when the Ranger Rover broke.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Honestly!!!! I just do not understand the mentality of the above answer, you speak of as though you have had a Disco 4 fail on you in the night stranded with 3 little ones in the car. I think not.

The most precious things in my life are my children and grand children and having them travelling everywhere they go in a Disco 4 gives me the best piece of mind, because it is known to have the best safety record than any other SUV 4x4 on the market. Since 2005 to date I have yet to find out or hear of fatality in a Disco 3 4 and Range Rover sport. WHY! It is because those three vehicles have two chassis, monocoque and ladder frame. Then on top of that you have probably the most versatile and capable 7 seater 4x4 available whether it be petrol or diesel. I or my workshop has over 2000 Disco 3 Disco 4's on our books and I have never in the 14 years of the Disco 3 or 4 heard of someone stranded in the middle of the night. I can personally vouch on my own experience that I collided with a Donkey between Skilpads Hoek and Zeerust doing 120 kph and we were completely unharmed, unhurt and still managed to drive my Disco 3 all the way back to Johannesburg.

The Disco 4 is undoubtedly far more reliable than the predecessor Disco 3 , better performance fuel consumption etc, We have quite a few of MY2010 coming up to 400 thousand kms , alot of the diesels had had their second cambelt change which is done every 168 thousand kilos. The phenomium is for nine years the Disco 4 benn on the market, we at Overland Worx , previously Landyworx have never ever replaced an injector on the TDV6 and SDV6 where as the Disco 3 thousands of.
    The Disco 4 V8 is just strawberries and cream, super reliable and the most awesome car to drive just heavy o fuel.

My answer to you Marthunis is that just ignore the above stupid comment and answer to your post above and it is well worth the headache to look for a good Disco 4, value for money you cannot do better.
    Maybe you could assist this member with his search, as it seems he REALLY wants a LR but has bought two duds.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Avoid diesel, go petrol - less chance of things going wrong.

if you don't need the space/7 seats, consider a 2016-17 RRS Supercharged - there are good bargains out there, and you'd still have 2-3 years left on the service plan.
    While a great choice, you ain't getting any 2017/7 RRS SC for under a bar. somehow based on the OP's previous choices of old high milers, I don't think is his intended territory.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Quote Originally Posted by Marthunis View Post
    Thank you for sharing. I had to call the Director of LR SA to get Durban LR to take back the Disco 4, because they refused. My wife and I keep saying that it's the most comfortable car we've driven. Also with the 'indian/jewish' blood in me (not really) always wanting the best deal, I'll probably get another dud. I know I should just get a Prado, but damn, half a million for a car with 100,000km plus and who knows what that person did with such a capable car. I have found a XC90 with only 85,000km and with a brand new gearbox from Sweden. Only for R140,000. Thinking of this at least as a second vehicle. We just found out we are having a third, so have a few more months. Fortunately my father in law is taking over our brand new Ford Ranger, which we were forced to buy when in Bloem when the Ranger Rover broke.
    That XC90 sounds like a good deal. What year model is it? I own a Volvo and they are very safe cars to drive. Parts are expensive especially if the agents selling only. If you do purchase have this vehicle tested somewhere independent so that you have some assurance of what you buying. Good luck!
    Volvo S40 T5 2006

LC 200 without any hesitation
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

André Opperman

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post
    Maybe you could assist this member with his search, as it seems he REALLY wants a LR but has bought two duds.
    Exactly. Whilst these vehicles have a bad rap on this forum for various valid reasons, it just isn't consistent with the tens of thousands of very happy people that swear by them and go back time after time.

Lets put it this way, I will gladly with full confidence hook up a 1.5 ton boat, pack it full of precious people and travel thousands of kilometers, and it has done 250K km without skipping a heart beat.

Oooh wait, I did that last week.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Sorry, calling my comment stupid is harsh. The OP said himself, he has just handed 2 lrs back.... Where did I say the LR was unreliable? Based on his argument, I drew a conclusion for him.. I don't own a d4, never will, my i10 does just fine.

And where do you get off inferring people are stupid, stupid?

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

Ranier,
    Hi I would love to, he is down in the Cape.
    Because of the current fuel prices the Disco 4 V8's are selling way below the book value. I dont understand why because cost of ownership on a V8 is way below that of a diesel.

Thank you for the extremely detailed response and giving me all these details.
    Is there anything to look out for when shopping? We will ultimately do hectic off roading. Is the SE or HSE still fine, or must you go with the S? Does it not matter, as it will still be the family vehicle?
    Do you think that the extra fuel costs of the V8 will cover the potential costs of the maintenance of the diesel? If I keep the vehicle for at least 100,000km, will there be a big cost difference between the two. The V8 will cost R70,000 more for fuel.

That's what I was thinking. Can you maybe help me source one for sale from a client, which you know has been looked after?

Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast