Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21

Default Re: Was Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache - now Range Rover Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Hamtheman View Post
    Are you dead certain your 19" rims clear your front calipers?
    Peter Street said it would

Default Re: Was Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache - now Range Rover Supercharged

Quote Originally Posted by Marthunis View Post
    My BIL has a Big Body RR Diesel V8 and he has replaced the 20" rims with 19" D4 rims, seems to work fine.
    Discovery 1 1995 V8i 3.9l (Sold, owned for 20 years); Freelander 2 2013 SD4 SE; Discovery 4 2014 SDV6 SE; Bushlapa Boskriek

Marthunis

Check this out the all new BFG tyres 275/55/20 coming on a new discovery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BFG.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	532292

This was sent to me today and price quoted was R5000 per tyre

Default Re: Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache to look at buying one

Imagine seeing it doing extreme 4x4, that's going to look cool
    I bought this to go places no Range Rovers have gone before. I want to take it to Baboons pass, but will need to go with experienced guys, don't know enough people yet, anyone keen?
    Marthunis seriously consider not doing Baboons pass unless you are happy to accept pretty serious cosmetic damage on that beaut of yours, she is in just too good a condition!!

Make no mistake she will make it through Baboons, but there are section of the route that you have no choice to go through and she will get scratched without doubt.. I still cannot get over my Mates D4 damage after we finished the trip, no dents, exhaust rear flat as a pancake.. plenty tupperware removed, tons of scratches, really bad scratches, the type you don't easily polish out...

But have no doubt, she can make it..

The section on the photo's below was particularly damaging to most of the vehicles on our trip, those bushes are spawned from Satan himself...

The white fattie below was mine, still miss her, she was damn well equipped with features I never got to use...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1263.jpg 
Views:	120 
Size:	148.9 KB 
ID:	532313   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1355.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	256.2 KB 
ID:	532314   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1357.jpg 
Views:	133 
Size:	186.1 KB 
ID:	532315  
    Last edited by Marcochezzi; 2019/06/28 at 09:12 AM.
    Regards - Marco Chezzi

There are two kinds of people in this world, those that can extrapolate from incomplete data..

Those look great....my only concern is speed rating, most are Q rated which is 160 Kph, I don't need to tell you but the supercharged gets to that speed rather quickly
    Ranger Wildtrak
    Ex Range Rover Sport 5.0 SC
    Ex R5 Touareg with air and RDL
    Lotus 7 replica racecar.

Quote Originally Posted by tgwinduna View Post
    Marthunis

Check this out the all new BFG tyres 275/55/20 coming on a new discovery.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BFG.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	134.5 KB 
ID:	532292

This was sent to me today and price quoted was R5000 per tyre

Finally! A lot of the US guys run this size on their RRS Supercharged, and no rubbing, although that's with the AT.

However, it is rather disturbing you were quoted R5k for an MT when the AT retails for around R6-7k: https://www.fundityres.co.za/275-55r...d-rbl-115-112s
    Last edited by Orxy; 2019/06/28 at 09:23 AM.
    2010 Defender Puma 90 + BAS remap + Alive IC + Slickshift + Ashcroft ATB rear
    2015 Range Rover Sport Supercharged V8 HSE Dynamic

Discovery 4 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zZ1en9

Defender Puma Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zXrtKO
    Range Rover/Sport L320/L322/L494 Workshop Manual: https://bit.ly/2zc58JQ

Quote Originally Posted by Orxy View Post
    Finally! A lot of the US guys run this size on their RRS Supercharged, and no rubbing, although that's with the AT.

However, it is rather disturbing you were quoted R5k for an MT when the AT retails for around R6-7k: https://www.fundityres.co.za/275-55r...d-rbl-115-112s

Orxy
    And it seems to have a different compound to the KO2 as there is no mention of Kevlar.
    I have been given a choice of this tyre or the new Pirelli Scorpion, I have chosen the BFG's

Background2017 FebWe bought a Disco 4 with about 120,000km from LR Durban. It was just outside of warranty, but I wasn't concerned because of the 6 month CP Act. In the 6 weeks we owned it, it broker 3 times and after it broke on Atlantis dunes with the LR Experience, we decided to give it back, as we were just going to start a 10,000km journey and wasn't willing to take the risk with my wife being pregnant. 2018 JuneWe thought, maybe the Disco was a dud, because they are used off-road, let's buy a Range Rover big body which is still under warranty. It would probably not have been off-road and we will have a nice family vehicle. I drove it back from LR George, got home, drove it around town for less than a week and realized that something was wrong. Took it to LR Hillcrest and they couldn't pick up anything. I was adamant and forced them to do further testing and they found out there was oil in the turbo. They replaced the turbo at R70k, came out of the warranty. In the first 3 weeks of owning the car, it was at LR Hillcrest for 2/3 weeks. 6 weeks into owning it, we went to CT and limp mode kicked in going up Van Reenen's pass. Got it to Bloem hours later, there was a problem linked to the damage the turbo caused. I was once again not willing to take the chance with the vehicle, as we had endless hassles and a long road trip ahead, so gave it back. My biggest disappointment is that it's clear that the dealerships don't want their warranty fund effected and hence give you a car with problems, so you can go fix the problem at another dealership and not theirs. I have lost complete faith in LR SA. I do however love the cars and love the off road capability. The Disco 4 is huge and with soon 3 babies under 3, we need 3 car seats to fit into one row. It's between the followingisco 4Volvo XC90, extremely reliable, but doesn't have a big enough boot and is not that off road safe, with the chassis not being made for that. Toyota Prado/LC 200 - The king of off road, but extremely unaffordable. I just can't justify paying at least R100k more for it compared to a Disco 4.So, how can I make it work with the Disco 4, as we love the off road capability, the massive boot and that all 3 car seats can fit in? I know about The Centre in Durban, but what must I look out for when buying a Disco 4 with 130,000km plus or is it just stupidity?
    The 100k is worth every cent!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Andre Bos For This Useful Post:

Hi everyone

I have a quick update.....

I bought Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs and put them on 19". I had to skim the brake calipers, it was perfectly fine on tar. BUT, when we hit the river, the sand kept getting stuck in between the rim and the brake caliper and it made a very irritating sound, that keeps you wondering if it's that or if something is wrong with the car. On a side note, what a JOL I had with this car on sand, you must see it fly. You know when you dig yourself into sand, when taking off and spinning your tyres - not with this car!!! It starts digging in and then takes off like a jet. It was the one of the funnest things I've ever done. I am extremely impressed with the tyres, the handling is phenomenal and gives you great comfort. I took a 90 degree turn on a gravel road at about 60-80kmph and didn't touch brakes, it did it no problem.

I will be going back to the advice I was given above, I will be putting back the 20". I therefore have the rims and tyres for sale, if anyone is interested.

255/55/19
    4 x Goodyear wrangler duratracs (2 months old)
    4 x Continental road tyres (never been used)
    4 x original Range Rover rims
    074 285 5555

I have been loving this V8, it is my first. The fuel consumption is something that doesn't need to be mentioned, but ooooooh what a lovely sound it is
    Last edited by Marthunis; 2019/08/31 at 08:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcochezzi View Post
    Marthunis seriously consider not doing Baboons pass unless you are happy to accept pretty serious cosmetic damage on that beaut of yours, she is in just too good a condition!!

Make no mistake she will make it through Baboons, but there are section of the route that you have no choice to go through and she will get scratched without doubt.. I still cannot get over my Mates D4 damage after we finished the trip, no dents, exhaust rear flat as a pancake.. plenty tupperware removed, tons of scratches, really bad scratches, the type you don't easily polish out...

But have no doubt, she can make it..

The section on the photo's below was particularly damaging to most of the vehicles on our trip, those bushes are spawned from Satan himself...

The white fattie below was mine, still miss her, she was damn well equipped with features I never got to use...

I appreciated these photos, they have persuaded me not to take my car to baboons pass. You always only see the pictures of the open track. I don't worship my car, but it's unnecessary to mess it up there.

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post

The only 'REAL' lift you ever get is from tyres so if you are planning on exrreme offroading, then rather be smart and spend the extra 15k in rubber than spend the 15k in damage repair. What i would do. Either way, let us know when you want to take it offroad and we can do a trail here in Durban to get you used to it offroad... (i just want to see it offroad... )
    A bit late but - that’s only true for solid axle suspension.

With IS raising body with suspension gives a true under body clearance lift because the pumpkins are packed away behind undercarriage parts.
    Last edited by Fluffy; 2019/09/01 at 05:20 AM.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 Land Rover V8's
    NA - TwinTurbo - SuperCharged
    A V6 and an inline 4

If you fly or drive to an anti-Fracking meeting, you have no business being there and you wont get my ear......

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21