Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Default Re: Disco 4 - Is it worth the headache to look at buying one

Quote Originally Posted by byaru1 View Post
    ...A little digging around suggests that air springs have been replaced a couple of times and so have been many suspension parts. But this would hold true for other vehicles in the same environment....
    Nope.

You're actually verifying what critics of the D4 are saying. A simpler suspension would be more robust and require less maintenance under difficult conditions.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 VNTd5 ES

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Think before you type - hard facts are vastly different from hearsay.
    I know the difference.

It's the like the EFF saying they will win a majority share in tomorrows elections. So do you just believe it and avoid voting because the EFF will win just because some random guy said so?
    Back to the issue, if my D4 broke down, I would come here to share my experience. Why should I be branded a "self-proclaimed expert" for that?

If it did not breakdown, I would not come here to report that I suspect it will break down.

Think before you type - hard facts are vastly different from hearsay.

It's like the EFF saying they will win a majority share in tomorrows elections. So do you just believe it and avoid voting because the EFF will win just because some random guy said so?
    Let me just preempt the next question so long:
    "what about all the known and factual failures being discussed on the forum?"

Sure. Everybody sitting at an AA meeting would also vote that everybody in the world is an alcoholic, because of their majority vote at the meeting. Information provided in isolation is very, very misleading and dangerous information.

Back to the issue, if my D4 broke down, I would come here to share my experience.
    Thank you. That is confirmation of exactly what is happening. All negative feedback reaches the forum to form an isolated picture, as mentioned above. That is merely a subset of data and not to be misread as the overall picture.
    Last edited by George; 2019/05/07 at 08:08 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Everybody sitting at an AA meeting would also vote that everybody in the world is an alcoholic, because of their majority vote at the meeting. Information provided in isolation is very, very misleading and dangerous information.
    exactly

so you've had a decent experience and you're trying to portray this as the only reality
    Jakes Louw
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by douglash View Post
    It's not saying anything against the self-proclaimed experts, BUT, when the actual indies that are working on the vehicles are the ones providing the facts, in numbers, these are to be ignored?
    The cynic in me would point out that they could be adding grist to their mills.

The realist in me think that D3/D4 should not be purchased by persons that cannot afford to maintain them properly. Much like my Jeep that is now on 340 000km.

A WK, XJ and a Ducati...

"Stil, broers,daar gaan ‘n man verby, hy groet, en dis verlaas.
    Daar’s nog maar een soos hy; bekyk hom goed."

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rainier Vermaak For This Useful Post:

Thank you. That is confirmation of exactly what is happening. All negative feedback reaches the forum to form an isolated picture, as mentioned above. That is merely a subset of data and not to be misread as the overall picture.
    But this does not qualify me to be brandished a self-proclaimed expert. I'm merely sharing a bad experience with the product with other users, hoping to understand its genesis and looking for both preventive and curative solutions.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier Vermaak View Post

The realist in me think that D3/D4 should not be purchased by persons that cannot afford to maintain them properly. Much like my Jeep that is now on 340 000km.
    It's what it boils down to.

Can you afford to and/or do you want to spend more maintaining and carrying the cost of the depreciation of an unnecessarily technologically advanced, independently air sprung luxo barge such as a D4.

Or can you only afford/want to spend money on something less expensive?

Sound advice would be to spend less and invest the saving.

But at the end of the day it's your money to do with as you please.

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Nope.

You're actually verifying what critics of the D4 are saying. A simpler suspension would be more robust and require less maintenance under difficult conditions.
    Those critics do not really understand the comfort level of the D4 suspension vs a 'simpler suspension' and yes, if it means having to replace some components to maintain that comfort, then so be it. That's the choice I've made.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2003 LR Discovery 2 Td5 ES - Lots of Mods(check thread) - [Husky]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD
    Youtube Channel <-- Click Here

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

But this does not qualify me to be brandished a self-proclaimed expert. I'm merely sharing a bad experience with the product with other users, hoping to understand its genesis and looking for both preventive and curative solutions.
    ..which is all good and a natural reaction and probably not malicious. The inherent problem them that the negative comments (negative as in it's not all going perfectly) spreads like wildfire and becomes the overall picture in people's minds. This still remains a subset of data and can't be seen as the overall picture. The nearest to factual we'll get here is feedback from reputable LR workshops; of which one is posting here frequently. I know of others also that categorically stated that the "major issue D3/4s" are in the minority by a very, very long shot. Somehow however the normal human wishes to ignore that information, as the negative information makes a better story or rumor to tell.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, might not be factually correct, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

The nearest to factual we'll get here is feedback from reputable LR workshops.
    Rubbish.

My best mate is a vet. He advises people to buy pugs and bulldogs. Not because they are good breeds, it's because they pay for his hunting trips..........

A workshop would LOVE to have everybody buy old used D3s and D4s. It's called income protection.
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    Rubbish.

My best mate is a vet. He advises people to buy pugs and bulldogs. Not because they are good breeds, it's because they pay for his hunting trips..........

A workshop would LOVE to have everybody buy old used D3s and D4s. It's called income protection.
    Then you need to choose better friends.

At least my indy will tell me when I should and shouldn't do something for the better of myself, not his own pocket. I guess that's why everybody I know that goes there will keep going back there.
    2004 LR Discovery 2 Td5 GS - Hybrid Turbo, Intercooler, 33's, 2" Lift, V8 TC, Ashcroft CW&P 3.75 + ATB lockers. [GoldiloX]
    2010 LR Discovery 4 V8 HSE - Lifted with IIDtool, Powered by Petrol and Running on Cooper AT3 LT (new spec) 265/65/18s [Imvubu] - SOLD

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

...and yes, if it means having to replace some components to maintain that comfort, then so be it. That's the choice I've made.
    No argument there. It's your money. You spend it as you please....

Those critics do not really understand the comfort level of the D4 suspension vs a 'simpler suspension'
    Actually many do...

...it doesn't mean that those who are perfectly satisfied with the comfort and lower risk and cost of a simpler vehicle are a bunch of ignorant, grumpy, old neanderthals who are stuck in the past.

They choose to spend less, because they don't believe that it is necessary or sensible to spend more.

To advise someone to buy something cheaper and simpler is sound advice.

The days of choosing between a cheaper, noisy, hot 60 kw Hi-Lux with a top speed of 90 km/h while sucking 5km/l of fuel, and an expensive Range Rover for comfort and speed are long gone.

The modern cheaper alternatives are actually very luxurious and more than powerful enough.

In terms performance and comfort 4x4s have started to reached the point of diminishing returns at around R 400 k, or even less, depending on how fussy the buyer is.
    Last edited by Fontuin; 2019/05/07 at 08:41 AM.

I guess that's why everybody I know that goes there will keep going back there.
    Yes, we know. On a regular basis..

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JohanRoux For This Useful Post:

No argument there. It's your money. You spend it as you please....
    How can you take 1 post of mine, quote it and say 'spend how you please' and then the next quote say that the days of choosing between a 60kw hi-lux and a Range Rover are gone?

To advise someone to buy something cheaper and simpler is sound advice.

The days of choosing between a cheaper, noisy, hot 60 kw Hi-Lux with a top speed of 90 km and an expensive Range Rover for comfort and speed are long gone.

The modern cheaper alternatives are actually very luxurious and more than powerful enough.

In terms performance and comfort 4x4s have started to reached the point of diminishing returns at around R 400 k, or even less, depending on how fussy the buyer is.
    ...it doesn't mean that those who are perfectly satisfied with the comfort and lower risk and cost of a simpler vehicle are a bunch of ignorant, grumpy, old neanderthals who are stuck in the past.
    I didn't say they were. However, my wife with 3 back surgeries behind her in 2 years CANNOT go offroad in a simpler vehicle.

So we've made the choice. When her back is fully recovered and we are on our own, then yes, Rubicon here we come. But for now, the D4 IS the vehicle that ticks all the boxes.

Loads off people here that would be wise to get a lekker air suspension D4. Be a lot less grumpy and negative. I for one would rather replace a compressor once in 5 years than bash my head sif against the window on a bad road. and no this is not exaggeration, we just did Namakwa 4x4 and my father had to move over to the D4 a few times (after finishing all our anti inflamotories) from taking the beating as my brothers Hilux tried to keep up (again not an exaggeration, I had to wait often for the OME equipped Hilux and Fiat Fullback on the trip)

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to m0lt3n For This Useful Post:

Then you need to choose better friends.

At least my indy will tell me when I should and shouldn't do something for the better of myself, not his own pocket. I guess that's why everybody I know that goes there will keep going back there.
    ha ha my mate has told me exactly what not to buy

but I understand you need to get personal to win arguments
    Jakes Louw
    Percivamus

The beauty of owning a D3/D4 is that when you have finished with it you can always sell it off to be recycled and do roaring business with the farmers.

Supacat's LRV 400 Mk2 is based on the Discovery 4

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    ha ha my mate has told me exactly what not to buy

but I understand you need to get personal to win arguments
    So now I can't have an opinion about your choice of friends? Stop with the double standards puh-lease.

And your mate still chooses to tell 'other people' what to buy to fill his own pockets. I stand (excuse the pun) by my comment.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to douglash For This Useful Post:

The funny part is, I don't think many people are here to "win arguments" and prefer to laugh and play with those who's living in a superiority complex world.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

OdM

The one thing I have learnt from almost all the landrover threads - people either love them or hate them with about the same amount of passion. There does not seem to be a lot of ground in the middle of those stand points.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast