V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Hi everyone

These beasts have fascinated me as a young boy.

People would always talk and say so and so has a Land Rover Defender and then so and so has a Land Rover Defender,long pause.....the V8, everyone pays respect and story goes on....

Are they worth their weight? Do previous owners despise them or miss them? Regret selling them or glad you got rid of it?

Little nuances unique to them? Please do tell.
    Last edited by Waynesteele; 2019/04/19 at 03:50 PM.
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Ah my old v8. I owned mine for 10 years. Was the first car I bought on my own in my first job.
    Youre so right about the reaction of people when you tell them you have a v8 defender!

i miss mine terribly still, and not ashamed to say a cried like a girl when she drove away.

My best memories of her was actually all the work and love and care I put into her making her Ďmineí. roof rack, bull bar, wheels etc, but all in keeping with the age of the car, so no fancy new age front runner stuff.

In ten years I replaced a clutch slave cylinder, and hub seal. Those were the only things that ever broke.
    Actually, towards the end she did leave me stranded on the road. Some electrical thing bombed out, I donít even know what it was, but it was cos ants got in everywhere and stuffed something - I was barely driving her by then.

She was the reason I nabbed my now wife - she liked the idea of a boy in an old landy
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Ignoring the sentimental stuff that comes with every defender I guess though, the following is my cold hearted view of them:

Theyíre underpowered, not dangerously so, but youíre not going to get anywhere quickly. Cruising speed of 110km/h is comfortable
    youll get stuck on cross axle obstacles due to no rear difflock and be laughed at by your mates
    mine had a very slight issue with getting hot on uphills, not overheating, but enough to make you stress a bit.
    Mine chowed control arm bushes, but that was an easy replacement
    Transfer case leak - mine dripped for 10 years, but not enough to fix, just top up everynow and then
    i actually canít think of anything else.

Basically, donít expect v8 grunt. There is nothing of the sort there. Put a free flow exhaust on, they sound beautiful at least
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Thanks Graham

Really nice account of the history of yours.

Would you buy one again or yours back if you could?
    Last edited by Waynesteele; 2019/04/19 at 06:20 PM.
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Jelo?

Dsouter?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Tomorrow Iím leaving Windhoek for Zim for at least 3 weeks. It pains me that Iím leaving my family behind - and that includes the old lady, my 1984 One Ten V8. I briefly owned a TD5 Defender, but I sold it to buy the V8. I donít really notice the lack of power, because for me a Landy drive is supposed to be leisurely. One of my most memorable trips was when I brought her to Windhoek from RSA - write up about that is somewhere on the forum. Sheís old, sheís thirsty, but goodness, what a ride! Love my V8 to bits.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Twist For This Useful Post:

I own my V8 SW now 14 years. First 6 years as only vehicle while living in Messina, toured all over Limpopo, kids to school in Tzaneen. Only problems then was fuel pump and power steering pump.

Moved to Jhb and V8 became a bit secondary due to getting a disco 2.

But now again only vehicle and used to get me to Lesotho once a month. Spent a bit on gearbox and transfer box end of last year.

Also slowly now doing some of the cosmetic bits as it is a 31 yr old vehicle.

Just live driving it, the V8 is slow and leisurely, but suits my style. It seems to be going better and better as I am using it more again.

Won't part with it easily
    Jan
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DiscoJan For This Useful Post:

The noise, the noise - that GLORIOUS NOISE!

Yes, he didn't have the power to pull the skin a turd.
    Yes, he was thirstier than "after 10 days in the desert sun on a horse with no name".
    Yes, he had the aerodynamics of a block of flats.
    Yes, he gave me ulcers by (also) slightly overheating on long uphills.
    Yes, he was as comfortable as a plank on springs.
    Yes he leaked like a sieve.
    BUT
    No, he never got me stuck on cross-axles (that amazing axle travel)
    No, he never ran out of grunt ascending a dune.
    No, he never left me stranded (except the 2 or 3 times I ran out of petrol).
    No, he never failed to illicit at least one admiring comment/glance.

AND

There wasn't one single time I started him that he didn't put a silly, idiotic grin on my face - even if I just had to move him 2 meters!
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

13. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

I had a Defender V8 Pickup some years back. Imported a couple from Bots Govt, and kept the one for myself. All were 1996 models, with the newer door handles.

Unbeatable comfort with that suspension - was HUGE fun idling over ant hills. They're just the best in the suspension department.

Even thirstier than I was at the time. .......but we all know that. It's OK if you hear that Buick (I think??) V8, though........then everything suddenly just makes sense.

Superbly capable - it's that suspension, keeping all wheels on the ground. The easiest 4x4 to judge where your front wheels are, SO easy to do offroad stuff with. We put game fence around my farmpie that time, 6km of it, and NO other Pickup would have been even remotely capable to do what this Defender did......rocks, mud, etc etc. And it takes a load, believe me. Rear bin is a bit small, though.

A donkey at highway speeds - but that engine is tuned at 100kW (Think so??), so its not designed for that anyway. SUPERB in the veld though, idling away all day over anything you throw at it.

I've had MANY 4x4 Pickups in my life........Safari's, Cruisers, Land Rovers, Hilux'es..........that V8 110 stands out above ALL of them.
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Petri Oosthuizen For This Useful Post:

I am so glad that this thread was started. I would have had to eventually. I see online that V8 defenders go for a lot less than their diesel counterparts. Obviously due to consumption, etc but for those of us who can't spend a lot, it makes a great entry level Defender.
    I window shop, for want of a better term and this week alone I have found 4 V8 defenders for less than 50k. So it's nice to see the positive feedback here.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    I am so glad that this thread was started. I would have had to eventually. I see online that V8 defenders go for a lot less than their diesel counterparts. Obviously due to consumption, etc but for those of us who can't spend a lot, it makes a great entry level Defender.
    I window shop, for want of a better term and this week alone I have found 4 V8 defenders for less than 50k. So it's nice to see the positive feedback here.
    Buy one, get a 4.6 out of a P38 Rangie, bung it in and sort out the cooling system to suit it and never look back.
    The 4.6 will work nicely on carbs if you want to go that way.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

19. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesteele View Post
    Thanks Graham

Really nice account of the history of yours.

Would you buy one again or yours back if you could?
    To be completely honest - I search gumtree for v8 defenders literally once a week, and occasionally even go as far as contacting the seller to see if itís still available, but, every single time my heart is eventually over ruled and I pull out.

I would LOVE another one, but I know it will just park for most of its life and not be used.
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Guys, where do you see V8 Pickups for sale??

I would buy another one in a heartbeat!!
    Of COURSE I have a Bad Habit. I take Tea at Three (Mick Jagger)

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post

Petri, I found them on Facebook. There is actually a beautiful one for sale in the Freestate at the moment. 50k but the owner says it has diffslap on pull off. If you want, I can send you a request so that I can notify you?

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    Petri, I found them on Facebook. There is actually a beautiful one for sale in the Freestate at the moment. 50k but the owner says it has diffslap on pull off. If you want, I can send you a request so that I can notify you?
    That diff slap could just be the rear A arm every time pull off the diff clunks from the A as the diff wobbles slightly also the gear box out put shaft spline to T Box
    Last edited by clivemd; 2019/04/21 at 08:23 AM.
    1995 300TDi Defender with VGT Turbo
    2002 Defender with LS1 MS3 ECU, 4L80e, LT230 1.222, Lockers and HD CW&P, 35" with 4" Lift

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to clivemd For This Useful Post:

What is the life span of these engines?

You hear tales of the Cruiser 4.5 efi when its done 200 000km its barely run in.

Cost of maintenance? Money and frustration wise?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post

Petri, there's one on Gumtree, for sale in Caledon. Mate of mine's bakkie. When he says it is spotless and original he means it - he is such a perfectionist as far as originality goes, I bought the electric front window set-up he removed from one of his Td5 bakkies. It works perfectly... but it wasn't factory fitted originally. Methinks his price is a bit high though.
    ENJOY!!!
    Ettienne

196? S2B FC "Over Lander" Camper
    1975 Land Rover Air-Portable Lightweight
    1980 Range Rover
    2002 Defender Td5 D/C
    2004 Disco Td5

27. The Following User Says Thank You to EttiennedK For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesteele View Post
    What is the life span of these engines?

You hear tales of the Cruiser 4.5 efi when its done 200 000km its barely run in.

Cost of maintenance? Money and frustration wise?
    My engine is on about 360 000km, still going strong and smooth.

Maintenance wise is the usual things with old vehicle, seals, bearings etc. But added up over 14 years of ownership about R3000 per year.
    Jan
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

29. The Following User Says Thank You to DiscoJan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJan View Post
    My engine is on about 360 000km, still going strong and smooth.

Maintenance wise is the usual things with old vehicle, seals, bearings etc. But added up over 14 years of ownership about R3000 per year.
    So the V8 is like the Tdi300? If looked after it will last?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

One thing that alu v8 need is good quality anti-freez!!and the correct oil to protect the cam lobes.Fantastic engine offroad,not a highway racer.Will work all day below 1000rpm when in lr.That lc(8.13)engine will even run on a mixture of petrol an diesel!!On steep side slopes runs on one carb,part of the design.This all in RRC,same engine different carbs...Strombergs.
    2012 RR TDV8 4.4
    2006 TDV6 SE A/T(Sold)
    2013 Bush Lapa Boskriek B142 met CKGR strepe
    2008 FL2 TD4 SE A/T
    1968 Renault 8 Gordini

32. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DiscoFrans For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast