V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly. - Page 7

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Youll need your head read if you buy a v8 for over R100k I reckon!
    I have to agree.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Youll need your head read if you buy a v8 for over R100k I reckon!
    The same could be said for buying a V8 petrol I guess...with what newer Defenders are going for lately I reckon a psych eval should be compulsory

Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post
    The same could be said for buying a V8 petrol I guess...with what newer Defenders are going for lately I reckon a psych eval should be compulsory
    I can understand people who buy the new V8s: MOPAR Hemis and Chev LS Gen5. You get great power and decent fuel economy.

But it's a lot more difficult to justify buying a 100kW engine that uses 20L/100.........
    Percivamus

4. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Wjn

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    I can understand people who buy the new V8s: MOPAR Hemis and Chev LS Gen5. You get great power and decent fuel economy.

But it's a lot more difficult to justify buying a 100kW engine that uses 20L/100.........
    Perhaps, but my servicing costs and occasional repair average out at about R4 000 a year. And my vehicle is worth a lot more now that I paid for it nearly 20 years ago.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tony Weaver For This Useful Post:

Oh my word...that little V8 is special
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Will have to mod or redo exhaust to set that sound free.
    But there are a few other things that I need to to first. New tyres and white wolf rims.
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

I run 265/75 Coopers on my Tdi with alloys.

On the V8.....I am thinking of going with white wolf rims or another similar type steel wheel. What do you guys think?

Then wondering between 235/85 and 265/ 75 tyres.....probably BFG All Terrain?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190627_183037.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.5 KB 
ID:	532411Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190609_160959.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	42.5 KB 
ID:	532412
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesteele View Post
    Will have to mod or redo exhaust to set that sound free.
    But there are a few other things that I need to to first. New tyres and white wolf rims.
    I had a set of negative offset charcoal 15" Sunrays on the 1984 with 33" rubber (33/10.5 x 15 I think) and it looked quite wicked. Yes, the wheel arch extensions didn't stop the mud.

The branch and exhaust will help it to breath, just remember that any extreme changes to the exhaust side often requires a re-jet/richness adjustment on the inlet side....... So make sure you have somebody who knows how to tune and balance the carbs.......

And then at some stage we can have a discussion on high compression and EFI...........
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    They were available even later than that to certain industries.

I owned a 3.5 V8 built in 2000 in the Blackheath factory. It was especially built as a game viewer for the game lodges who ran fleets of Defenders.

It was all Td5 other than the motor, and of course the bits that a game viewer doesn't need, like a roof and door-tops.
    Here is one.

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...00911271308409
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

So, here is one.
    I am interested in hearing opinions.

She looks rough, imho the roofrack/spots/tyres are all non entities and either need to be replaced or removed totally.
    Not to mention those windows...

but, on the positive side the mileage seems low, her body seems straight.

thoughts?

https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/5A1103507

I sold my '94 110 CSW in 2016 and regret it massively. I was the third owner, it had seen a tough life and bought it at that stage when the big bills hit. But once the worst parts were sorted, it was an awesome vehicle that just cruised at 110 and gave zero hassles.

If you do buy, bear in mind that you're buying a 20 odd year old vehicle that is going to have some issues, and search around for the right people to work on them (especially the engine). Yes, the fuel consumption is heavy but was similar to a 100 VX Cruiser or Patrol. The running costs once sorted were minimal, parts cheap and it was just this very special vehicle to drive. The clutch is heavy, but if the engine is right then gear changes are minimal.
    "Do not try to win over the idiots - you are not the Jerk Whisperer.."

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Spectator For This Useful Post:

I think this one still has the 4 speed gearbox.

It doesn't look too rough. looks very good for a 1989...

Test drive will tell all
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Test drive will tell all

Thanks. This specific one does not have enough doors or seats for me(family) but I am using it as a learning experience.
    One of the biggest mistakes that I made was when I bought my D3. Nowhere near enough research was done on my part.
    I am tentatively in the early stages of being in the market but before I buy anything, I will be doing my due diligence.

That one has been in the market for a couple of months which tells a story. The price has dropped quite a bit, but know it'll cost some money to bring on par. Ie the driver door is fubar. They key things however chassis, firewall and the rest of the mechanics. A test drive and look underneath will reveal all.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Test drive will tell all
    5-speed LT85, very strong box
    Percivamus

20. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Hi guys

Thought I'd give an update.

Should be getting the V8 back soon from body work touch ups and having bits powder coated and toughlined here and there....

The carbs are in dire need of attention as she over fuels and sputters and loses power then runs smoothly etc.

I would like to get a nice exhaust setup too.

The questions:

1. Do I go carb curing first or exhaust and tyres at Powerflow and then carb curing after the exhaust has been done?

2. What exhaust setup would you recommend?

Cheers....and Go Bokke and Namibia
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Carb after the exhaust.

Try find an Edelbrock manifold..............

And the Bokke didn't do anything unexpected.
    Percivamus

I had an open case airfilter like that from K&N once on my 2F motor. Made a nice noise and improved performance a bit. But it came at a price, shortly after fitting it the engine started using oil. Oil consumption increased to a point where within 3-4 hours drive it used up so much oil that the dipstick wasn't even wet anymore.

I was then told that these kind of performance filters don't filter out enough dust, tar road driving would be fine, but on dirt roads the engine sucks in too much dust.
    2012 FJ Cruiser
    1983 FJ60 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by HugoNotte View Post
    I had an open case airfilter like that from K&N once on my 2F motor. Made a nice noise and improved performance a bit. But it came at a price, shortly after fitting it the engine started using oil. Oil consumption increased to a point where within 3-4 hours drive it used up so much oil that the dipstick wasn't even wet anymore.

I was then told that these kind of performance filters don't filter out enough dust, tar road driving would be fine, but on dirt roads the engine sucks in too much dust.
    indeed, you'd need to get an adapter for the Weber to the cyclonic filter

But if I was Wayne I'd SERIOUSLY look at an EFI system off the D1.
    Percivamus

25. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Okay

Jelo my intentions were to keep it original.

But you have my attention with the EFI suggestion.

How hard is it and what would be the pros and cons?

What else would I need to change if going EFI?
    Last edited by Waynesteele; 2019/09/22 at 07:49 PM.
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast