V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly. - Page 6

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I'm still quietly on the lookout for a nice white/cream fair condition v8 pickup. One day...
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I'm still quietly on the lookout for a nice white/cream fair condition v8 pickup. One day...
    jy gaan BAIE lank wag
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Yip, hoe langer ek wag hoe meer spaar ek op petrol hahah

Maar ja, dit gaan 'n geval wees van sien hom toevallig en tel hom op binne 30 minute.
    Last edited by George; 2019/06/21 at 07:56 AM.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoJan View Post
    As much as I love my V8 110, the petrol bill with me going to Lesotho monthly and as a daily drive has forced me to park it for awhile. Got me a 2014 Duster 4WD

So now have time to convert it to a lekker camper:-)
    You can do a temporary conversion to diesel...........

Mothball the V8, drop in an Isuzu 3.1 TD with adapter and it will pay for itself in under 30,000kms...........
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    You can do a temporary conversion to diesel...........

Mothball the V8, drop in an Isuzu 3.1 TD with adapter and it will pay for itself in under 30,000kms...........
    Thinking of something like that as I really don't want to let it go, but fuel bill is becoming a deciding factor
    Jan
    1988 110 CSW V8
    1961 S2 SWB

Thanks everyone!

Last thing....there is a slight clunk when coasting to a stop in this v8 sounds like its from the front left wheel...same thing when you are driving and you engage the clutch between gear changes but then I hear and feel the clunk under the gearbox.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this one
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Mike N View Post
    That must be one of the biggest RTT's on the market Tony! Must really kill fuel consumption in head winds. (Or do you give new meaning to the saying "Wherever the wind blows me" :-) )
    Ja, it's an Echo four sleeper - bought it when our kids were little, and we could all four sleep comfortably inside it. Now they're grown, it is fantastic and roomy for the two of us, room for bags etc inside, and no rolling into a ball to try and get dressed. Our table, chairs etc all live under the cover when travelling... and as for fuel consumption, it doesn't seem to make any difference, we get between 6 and 6.5km to the litre on the open road, which is pretty good for a V8. Maybe the tent actually improves the aerodynamics of our old brick?
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesteele View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Last thing....there is a slight clunk when coasting to a stop in this v8 sounds like its from the front left wheel...same thing when you are driving and you engage the clutch between gear changes but then I hear and feel the clunk under the gearbox.

I am getting ready to pull the trigger on this one
    And then now again I'm thinking that's just how she sounds?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesteele View Post
    And then now again I'm thinking that's just how she sounds?
    I've yet to drive a Series or 110 that doesn't have drive train clunks. You learn quickly that this is a truck, not a modern bakkie or 4x4, and that if you don't fine tune your clutch work (and develop a strong left leg), you're going to get a kick up the arse from the prop shaft.
    Last edited by Tony Weaver; 2019/06/22 at 01:29 AM.
    Tony Weaver

1991 Land Rover 110 Hi-Line S/W 3.5l V8 carburettor
    Cooper Discoverer STT tyres, four sleeper Echo rooftop tent
    2012 Mitsubishi Outlander.

Previously Land Rover 1968 SII, 1969 SIIA, 1973 SIII, 1983 Toyota HiLux 2litre, 2006 Land Rover Freelander TD4 HSE.

Thanks Tony

Stand by for confirmation.

I will post pics
    Last edited by Waynesteele; 2019/06/22 at 09:54 AM.
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Here we go....

V8 3.5 1995

156 000kmClick image for larger version. 

Name:	20190621_203822.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	531754Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20190616_204158.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	99.3 KB 
ID:	531757
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Weaver View Post
    I've yet to drive a Series or 110 that doesn't have drive train clunks. You learn quickly that this is a truck, not a modern bakkie or 4x4, and that if you don't fine tune your clutch work (and develop a strong left leg), you're going to get a kick up the arse from the prop shaft.
    exactly

The drivetrain backlash is always there. And that clutch.........
    Percivamus

Back in the day I had a 110 V8 Hard Top. I did my first trip to Botswana in it. The Classic route up to Kasane and then down to Maun via Serondela, Suvuti and 3rd Bridge. Any way by the time we got to Kasane we realised that our Fuel consumption was so bad that we could never make it to Maun even with all the extra fuel we were carrying. We found a willing Mechanic in Kasane (connected to an overland company) to look at why our consumption was so bad. I think he really regretted taking on the job. Carburettor came out a number of times and was put back only for the issue to persist. Then he was off to the Botswana Army to get some HD leads, this did not work either. Any way he worked on the V8 for 2 full days trying to figure our what was wrong while we camped in the grounds of the workshop. On the 3rd day he realised that the rubber washer on the choke was completely worn away and it was like we were driving with the choke on all the time. At the end of it all he charged us a very nominal fare and we could embark on our first of many Bots Bush Trips.

Great memories of that Trip and looking back it was a big part of the adventure.
    2015 Discovery 4 30 SDV6 SE
    2007 Defender 90 Puma 2.4
    Metalian Off Road Trailer
    Previous
    2010 Discovery 4 30 TDV6 SE
    Discovery 3 V6 S
    Discovery 2 TD5
    Defender 90 TDI
    Defender 110 V8 Hard Top
    Jurgens Xplorer

Quote Originally Posted by Wedwo View Post
    Back in the day I had a 110 V8 Hard Top. I did my first trip to Botswana in it. The Classic route up to Kasane and then down to Maun via Serondela, Suvuti and 3rd Bridge. Any way by the time we got to Kasane we realised that our Fuel consumption was so bad that we could never make it to Maun even with all the extra fuel we were carrying. We found a willing Mechanic in Kasane (connected to an overland company) to look at why our consumption was so bad. I think he really regretted taking on the job. Carburettor came out a number of times and was put back only for the issue to persist. Then he was off to the Botswana Army to get some HD leads, this did not work either. Any way he worked on the V8 for 2 full days trying to figure our what was wrong while we camped in the grounds of the workshop. On the 3rd day he realised that the rubber washer on the choke was completely worn away and it was like we were driving with the choke on all the time. At the end of it all he charged us a very nominal fare and we could embark on our first of many Bots Bush Trips.

Great memories of that Trip and looking back it was a big part of the adventure.
    yes to be honest if I get another one, I'll swop out the standard 3.5LC for a rebuilt 4.0/4.6 EFI unit and an auto box

The numbers of dual-carb whisperers are getting few and far between. And my left knee isn't what it used to be.
    Percivamus

yes to be honest if I get another one, I'll swop out the standard 3.5LC for a rebuilt 4.0/4.6 EFI unit and an auto box

The numbers of dual-carb whisperers are getting few and far between. And my left knee isn't what it used to be.
    This sounds like a great option. I would love that.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Chopped For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped View Post
    This sounds like a great option. I would love that.
    Well, the Americans did............

And there is something just so nice about a V8 and an auto box.........
    Percivamus

Well, the Americans did............

And there is something just so nice about a V8 and an auto box.........
    Last week I was fortunate enough to tag along to Hennops with a group of guys. We had V8 in sterio. There was a dark blue D2 with the 4.0 and auto box and there was a beast of a nomad running a 4.0 disco engine and drive train.
    I was a passenger, so I was able to be out of the vehicles and listening to that auditory feast quite often...

https://www.gumtree.co.za/a-cars-bak...rce=ios_social

No affiliation but thought someone here might be looking....

Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post

There is a Hardtop on WeSellCars for R50k.............

Sadly I need to buy more brewing equipment, so I'm out:

https://www.webuycars.co.za/buy-a-car/5A1103507

Looks very good for that price.
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by Wjn View Post

Youll need your head read if you buy a v8 for over R100k I reckon!
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Graham For This Useful Post:

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast