V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly. - Page 2

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

I loved mine a lot. I had a 93 V8 Hiline that had a different roof fitted. Aircon system ran down the length like in a Kombi

Yes she was a thirsty girl, but it made up for it with heaps of character, no nonsense approach to anything you can throw at it, no frills, no fuss

Its not a fire breathing V8, but I wasnt expecting it to be. I felt no need to increase the performance at all.
    What she did, she did in leisurely style, never skipping a beat and had a feeling of being unstoppable
    In that slow lazy manner, she will cruise down the highway at her pace, clamber over mountains with a deep burble from below and probably run on anything that resembles fuel

I had one issue with mine, and that was the alternator that left me stranded once.

The motor itself will outlast you, as long as you make sure the cooling system is functioning as it should

Would I buy one again? In a heartbeat!
    Some car, some bike and two legs

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:

Default Re: V8 Defenders.....tell us your tales, experiences, the good, the bad and the ugly.

Ah yes, the good ol' V8 Defender. My best and most memorable Defender and the one I miss the most. It was primarily an overlanding vehicle and kitted as such, taking us +-100000km purely on trips across Southern African. It wasn't fast, nor the most powerful, but never missed a beat and as robust as they get. The only issues I had (funny enough all in one single trip) was a broken fan and radiator in Botswana (my own stupidity - crossing a river with a hot engine) and losing aircon and 5th gear in Zambia. On another trip the light switch packed up the night before we intended departing from the Tsauchab river camp at 04:00 to reach Sossusvlei for sunrise; connected the light switch directly to the batteries under the seat and off we went, permanent lights for the rest of the trip. I doubt any other vehicle would've allowed connecting the lights so easily.
    Disclaimer - All my posts on this forum is without prejudice, is based on my fair assumptions or perceptions, is in no way intended to cause harm to anyone and is acted upon at your own discretion.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to George For This Useful Post:

Put a Disco 1 autobox in mine..... shame, the 3,5 just didnít have enough grunt for the autobox

6. The Following User Says Thank You to GaryFrank For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Graham View Post
    Ignoring the sentimental stuff that comes with every defender I guess though, the following is my cold hearted view of them:

Theyíre underpowered, not dangerously so, but youíre not going to get anywhere quickly. Cruising speed of 110km/h is comfortable
    youll get stuck on cross axle obstacles due to no rear difflock and be laughed at by your mates
    mine had a very slight issue with getting hot on uphills, not overheating, but enough to make you stress a bit.
    Mine chowed control arm bushes, but that was an easy replacement
    Transfer case leak - mine dripped for 10 years, but not enough to fix, just top up everynow and then
    i actually canít think of anything else.

Basically, donít expect v8 grunt. There is nothing of the sort there. Put a free flow exhaust on, they sound beautiful at least
    What he said.

I've had 2 x 110 V8s.

They suck petrol like it is water.

Personally I would upgrade to a 4.0 out of the D2 with EFI and everything else otherwise you effectively have a vehicle that uses twice as much fuel as the 300TDi and is twice as slow. And unless you have young knees, an auto box. That V8 clutch is a bastard.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    What he said.

I've had 2 x 110 V8s.

They suck petrol like it is water.

Personally I would upgrade to a 4.0 out of the D2 with EFI and everything else otherwise you effectively have a vehicle that uses twice as much fuel as the 300TDi and is twice as slow. And unless you have young knees, an auto box. That V8 clutch is a bastard.
    Sounds like you miss them both Jelo!
    1998 Defender 110 Tdi 300
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Quote Originally Posted by Waynesteele View Post
    I'd have another one if it had a bigger V8. The last one was almost converted to 1UZ and auto box.
    Percivamus

I miss both mine.. the RRC and the 110.
    They had a character about them that is hard to explain
    Must say, both mine must have been duds as I never had a problem with their power. They cruised comfortably on the open road, not at all worse than a 300tdi
    Around town was pretty much the same.
    They just gobbled a lot more fuel doing it, but also sounded much better while at it

Awesome to hear about all the characters you guys had.

Has me very tempted......

Was fitting a free flow or modding the exhaust at all beneficial or not really worth the effort?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Was fitting a free flow or modding the exhaust at all beneficial or not really worth the effort?
    A properly designed free flowing exhaust will always be beneficial to an engine.
    Just don't get the guys that park on the side of the road to do it for you, go to a proper exhaust place like Powerflow, Cowley et al.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

14. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

A proper freeflow exhaust system on the 3.5 Rover V8 would get you 3-5kW max. MAX. You might feel it. You'll probably only hear it.

Read here:

http://www.mez.co.uk/page94.html

http://www.v8engines.com/faq-conv.htm

Rather spend your money on a cam and head porting.

Like I said: the V8 Defender needed at least a high compression 3.9L.
    Percivamus

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by hcs View Post
    ...They cruised comfortably on the open road, not at all worse than a 300tdi
    Altitude changes that.

I owned a 300 Tdi and a V8 simultaneously while living outside Pretoria, and the 300 Tdi outperforms the V8 at altitude with a load and up hills.

That said, I did like the V8 a lot, it was a far nicer drive on the open road, better top speed.

The 300 Tdi was a better workhorse though, and the fuel consumption meant that the V8 sadly had to go.
    2004 Land Rover Discovery 2 Td5 ES

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fontuin For This Useful Post:

Well it made a difference to the sound at least. And you probably pay more for it in fuel, as you tend to drive it a bit harder to hear that burble

I fitted a VERY free flowing exhaust to mine, think I only put one small silencer on it, and the exhaust ended halfway under the car. Remember now, I was still just a kid .

It had no effect on performance, BUT, pulling away from a tollgate at full taps made a noise like no other through the little toll gate 'alley'. And then also the obligatory 'clutch in and rev' under bridges at slow speeds
    2004 Nissan Patrol 4.8
    1999 Nissan Patrol 4.2D

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Altitude changes that.

I owned a 300 Tdi and a V8 simultaneously while living outside Pretoria, and the 300 Tdi outperforms the V8 at altitude with a load and up hills.

That said, I did like the V8 a lot, it was a far nicer drive on the open road, better top speed.

The 300 Tdi was a better workhorse though, and the fuel consumption meant that the V8 sadly had to go.
    Ah yes, I can imagine at altitude it would make a difference. Down here there wasnt much between them.
    One thing I noticed was to drive them similar to a diesel. Seems to suit the lazy motor much better

Quote Originally Posted by Fontuin View Post
    Altitude changes that.

yep, a 300TDi up here will run away from the 3.5 on a hill
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnoK View Post
    A properly designed free flowing exhaust will always be beneficial to an engine.
    Just don't get the guys that park on the side of the road to do it for you, go to a proper exhaust place like Powerflow, Cowley et al.
    What?! Those guys with welding equipment aren't legit?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

What?! Those guys with welding equipment aren't legit?
    Well.. they are.. legitimately dodgy

25. The Following User Says Thank You to hcs For This Useful Post:

Didnt the V8 come out with a Cowley exhaust?
    "audentes fortuna iuvat"

Oopsie in diunesAttachment 526692Name:  IMG-20190425-WA0014.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  56.5 KB

28. The Following User Says Thank You to Bartho For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    A proper freeflow exhaust system on the 3.5 Rover V8 would get you 3-5kW max. MAX.

Rather spend your money on a cam and head porting.
    I do agree about the porting, the Rover is weakest at the head s it struggles to breathe.
    No amount of exhaust work will give notable gains if the engine cannot get the air IN first.
    Cheers,
    John

Rover P6
    Land Rover Discovery II Td5 Manual
    Range Rover P38 HSE
    Moto Guzzi LeMans
    Aprilia Tuono V2

30. The Following User Says Thank You to JohnnoK For This Useful Post:

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast