Which one of these two 200w systems would be a better buy?

Default Which one of these two 200w systems would be a better buy?

I am going to be purchasing a fold up solar kit for my two batteries in the trailer. Will be transferred to the BL van when we purchase it. I have narrowed it down to these two options. Both are 200w systems.

1. https://www.bushpower.co.za/product/...-kit-200-watt/ @R6450
    2. http://www.ecoficiency.co.za/content/node/67 @R5727

Do any of the users have experience with these products/ suppliers? The option from ecoficiency seems to pack smaller which stands very much in its favor. Other than that I cant comment further. I am out of my comfort zone here.

Default Re: Which one of these two 200w systems would be a better buy?

Bushpower has a good reputation for solid support. I have also bought from Ecoficiency and have received great service from them too. You won't go wrong either way. Looking at the links you have posted, the Bushpower kit seems to have a slightly better solar charge controller as standard (MPPT vs. PWM), but you could also ask Ecoficiency to quote on a similar option.

In short, either of the two models and companies are fine.
    ZS6VL

1st one as it has an mppt controller. Have purchased from bush power and there stuff is first class

Sent from my ANE-LX1 using SA 4x4 Community Forum mobile app

As An3S indicated the systems are basically similar and price is only different due to the controllers used. I do give a thumbs up for bushpower as I have bought a number of things from them and they know their stuff and not just after sales but also great support.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/04/18 at 05:17 PM. Reason: spel

The Bushpower kit also has a 15m extension cable.
    If you want to spend that amount, I agree that the Bushpower product is best.

Hilux 3.0 D4D "Goldilocks" - Rigged for overlanding
    ORRA Callsign: X130
    Passionate about alternative energy

what about if you just want the panels and carry bag - i have the MPPT etc etc installed??
    Merit before Race - anything else IS Racism.
    Stay Calm, engage low-ratio, keep buggering on - a Landy Man
    Longevity isn't worth dying for,

As already mentioned Bushpower has a solid reputation and really know their stuff.
    Bushpower's kit has a MPPT controler where Ecoficiency has a PWM which alone is worth the difference in price, MPPT solar controllers is quite a bit better than PWM.

Maybe just me, but I'm put off by the Ecoficiency add because they list the controller as a Steca / Victron, so they are actually not telling me what I'm getting. It's like saying "we'll give you either the Toyota or Ford bakkie which ever is in stock at the time". The one is probably just as good as the other but as with everything in life each person has a preference, I prefer Victron even though I don't doubt that Steca makes good solid products. Same as some prefering Toyota over Ford.

Bushpower's also has a extention cable as already mentioned.

If you decide to go for the Bushpower kit, specifically ask them that you want the Victron Smartsolar 75/15 controller, it has built in bluetooth so you can monitor the system from your phone which is very nice. I see on their website the Smartsolar is only around R200 more expensive than the Bluesolar and I'm assuming here that they supply the Bluesolar as standard with that kit.

Or if you want to plan ahead even further, you say you are going to buy a Bushlapa. Maybe already get a bigger solar controller now to build in to the Bushlapa later, that's if you also plan to get a solar panel installed on the roof of the Bushlapa and keep this kit portible.
    Find out what panel Bushlapa installs on the roof, IIRC it's a 140W. then buy a solar controller big enough for the 140W panel plus this 200W kit.
    The correct size Victron controller for 340W of panels will be the 100/30, but a 100/20 will also do considering that you'll almost never get perfect conditions where the controller will see the full 340W. Again get the Victron in Smartsolar if bluetooth monitoring is something you are interested in.
    Last edited by bigboy529; 2019/04/22 at 12:52 PM.
    I don't drink water, unless it's been through a brewery first.
    You probably heard people saying Africa is not for sissies. Well, neither is it for wussy equipment.
    Man who dies with most gear wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Rage View Post
    I am going to be purchasing a fold up solar kit for my two batteries in the trailer. Will be transferred to the BL van when we purchase it. I have narrowed it down to these two options. Both are 200w systems.

1. https://www.bushpower.co.za/product/...-kit-200-watt/ @R6450
    2. http://www.ecoficiency.co.za/content/node/67 @R5727

Do any of the users have experience with these products/ suppliers? The option from ecoficiency seems to pack smaller which stands very much in its favor. Other than that I cant comment further. I am out of my comfort zone here.
    I bought mine from ecoficiency. (150W) The dimensions were right for my purpose. I bought without a charge controller and it was subtracted from the purchase price. They supplied a 10m extention between panel and controller (you can specify).

Don't think you can go wrong with either. I needed it in a rush and they were just around the corner from me.

A mppt controller is more expensive but more efficient that a pwm controller. I would go for the BushPower one.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

Consider your packing space and easy of handling.

The one is 2 x 100w panels and the other is 4 x 50w panels.

The 100w panels is much longer than the 50w panels.

The 50w panels will be a bit thicker.

The 5m cable is to short, 15 - 20m is beter.

PWM vs MPPT solar controllers does not make a big difference (only in price) according to Fluffy's advice.

In this case I would go for the Ecoficiency deal. (Opt for a longer cable)
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    PWM vs MPPT solar controllers does not make a big difference (only in price) according to Fluffy's advice.
    Yes, if the supply is more than then the demand, but if not the fridge will run about one hour longer.
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/04/21 at 01:11 PM.
    Johan Kriel

LC's and Echo Chobe

12. The Following User Says Thank You to JLK For This Useful Post: