insurance for newbies

Default insurance for newbies

Hi Guys,

So after years of in-activity we have bought mountain bikes, a carrier and some shorts which stop those pains that im sure everyone gets in their bits when they start sitting on those saddles.

Now the question of insurance has popped up as to some people a bike rack is probably like having a bucket of cash at the back of the car.

What do people do? I have approached Tufstuf for a quote to add to the car policy, but is their an alternative, not that their quote is bad I must say.

FYI we also inquired as to the small print. It appears that the bikes must always be accompanied else the insurance is invalid. This is quite alarming as after departing a well known Pta cycle emporium at the weekend there was hundreds of thousands of bikes left in the car park, unattended and so un-insured!!!

Many thanks, ur knowledge is appreciated

Default Re: insurance for newbies

Quote Originally Posted by bobscratchit View Post
    Hi Guys,

So after years of in-activity we have bought mountain bikes, a carrier and some shorts which stop those pains that im sure everyone gets in their bits when they start sitting on those saddles.

Now the question of insurance has popped up as to some people a bike rack is probably like having a bucket of cash at the back of the car.

What do people do? I have approached Tufstuf for a quote to add to the car policy, but is their an alternative, not that their quote is bad I must say.

FYI we also inquired as to the small print. It appears that the bikes must always be accompanied else the insurance is invalid. This is quite alarming as after departing a well known Pta cycle emporium at the weekend there was hundreds of thousands of bikes left in the car park, unattended and so un-insured!!!

Many thanks, ur knowledge is appreciated
    I do believe that you should direct your questions to TUFFSTUFF. I am sure they know exactly how the TUFFSTUFF product works.
    I have never seen a wild animal feeling sorry for itself.

Only trust your broker and read your policy.

Anyway if a bicycle is not specified, a lot of insurers would not cover it, IOW needs to be specified. And then the rate is not cheaper that a car really.
    Turnkey Construction Projects, Commercial, industrial, Domestic
    Importers: Diving gear, Compressed air cylinders for diving and airgun industry, 4x4 equipment.
    Manufacturers: Pofadder Kinetic ropes, Recovery kits, Synthetic winch ropes
    Vehicles: Modifications and installations, Special application vehicles
    Driver training: 4x4, Defensive
    [email protected]
    +27824453301

The ability of perpetrators to interfere with remote locking facilities and the insistence of insurers to require proof of forceful entry when electronic devices are outsmarted by whiz kid perpetrators is the issue that concerns me. No forceful entry, no claim.

Is it still worth your while insuring stuff left in your car? The premiums are exorbitant and the cover selective.

A new generation Fortuner's remote locking facility does not get disabled in the way the D4D's get totally inoperable by a gate or garage remote being activated in the vicinity. The latest I have heard of is that these remotes are being left with clothes pegs pushing the button down and in doing so disabling all remote locking devices within range. The insurers simply decline theft claims from vehicle claims so affected. No evidence of forced entry is their argument. I would have thought insurers, like banks would keep clients up to date with the latest scams and tricks. Why is pro-active action not taken? One wonders. Surely they are up to date on the latest theft developments?

More profitable to collect premiums and repudiate claims in these cases? Self insuring by investing premiums into a special fund will be the solution unless the insurers come to the party.
    Youth is such a wonderful thing - what a pity it is being wasted on the young.

Well thanks to Raymond and his gang for being prompt and getting in touch to discuss this subject and emailing the details to make absolutely sure.

Here is the info....

• Bicycles needs to be securely locked onto a bicycle rack to your vehicle in order to enjoy theft cover.
    • Theft needs to be accompanied by forcible or violent means of the locking mechanism or bicycle rack.
    • A bicycle left unattended & unlocked will not be covered for theft in terms of your policy.

So actually you may leave the bikes, as long as they are comprehensively locked, so a mis-understanding in our discussion, but shows how easy it can happen!

We will however not be leaving our trusty steads unattended in any car park because we love them and do not want them taken in the first place.

Happy cycling!!!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to bobscratchit For This Useful Post:

My wife has just informed me that in the car park which stimulated me to writing this thread, there has been a victim of bike theft.....or rather customers in the shop have had their bikes stolen from outside. Seems the bikes were not insured and the customers are blaming the shop for no security.

I do not know any more details and am not interested in the long thread that she says is developing because we are careful, but it happened, and will probably happen again in that very same car park.

Quote Originally Posted by Poen View Post
    The ability of perpetrators to interfere with remote locking facilities and the insistence of insurers to require proof of forceful entry when electronic devices are outsmarted by whiz kid perpetrators is the issue that concerns me. No forceful entry, no claim.

Is it still worth your while insuring stuff left in your car? The premiums are exorbitant and the cover selective.

A new generation Fortuner's remote locking facility does not get disabled in the way the D4D's get totally inoperable by a gate or garage remote being activated in the vicinity. The latest I have heard of is that these remotes are being left with clothes pegs pushing the button down and in doing so disabling all remote locking devices within range. The insurers simply decline theft claims from vehicle claims so affected. No evidence of forced entry is their argument. I would have thought insurers, like banks would keep clients up to date with the latest scams and tricks. Why is pro-active action not taken? One wonders. Surely they are up to date on the latest theft developments?

More profitable to collect premiums and repudiate claims in these cases? Self insuring by investing premiums into a special fund will be the solution unless the insurers come to the party.
    Who doesn't know about remote lock jamming by now? It's up to you to ensure your car is locked and not just think it is. I lock my car manually (it doesn't have remote locking) and even then I check it's really locked, cause there are tricks they can use against that even.

We use to insure our bikes with Cyclesure.
    Ask them for a quote and look at what they offer.
    2004 Defender 110 Td5

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Sawdust For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Who doesn't know about remote lock jamming by now? It's up to you to ensure your car is locked and not just think it is. I lock my car manually (it doesn't have remote locking) and even then I check it's really locked, cause there are tricks they can use against that even.
    But maybe the lock jamming knowledge (lack of!) is the same as the 'Tap To Loose' technology. This technology has been around for probably a decade where you can clear a bank account by standing or bumping into someone in a shop and connecting with the bank card in their wallet or purse.

Quote Originally Posted by Engel View Post
    Only trust your broker and read your policy.

Anyway if a bicycle is not specified, a lot of insurers would not cover it, IOW needs to be specified. And then the rate is not cheaper that a car really.
    My bikes are unspecified, but are covered under my sporting goods cover up to a maximum of R100000. This cover is included with my general household cover.
    2015 Pajero Sport 4x4
    1996 3.5v6 Pajero (For Sale)

Carpe Diem Scrotum
    Give a man a beer, waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and waste a lifetime!

But maybe the lock jamming knowledge (lack of!) is the same as the 'Tap To Loose' technology. This technology has been around for probably a decade where you can clear a bank account by standing or bumping into someone in a shop and connecting with the bank card in their wallet or purse.
    The card machine will need to be linked to an account and proper checks are done, and most Tap and Go Credit and Cheque cards have a R200 limit before it needs a pin. Repetitive transactions from same source will need pin. All debit cards always want a pin. I am not in the industry, I am just observant.

I'd love for even one example where an account was cleared with Tap and Go, any news articles, even from other countries (you won't find a local one)? Cleared accounts are much more likely to happen via people giving out their banking credentials via phishing and smishing and whatever (similar to just imagining their car is locked if I think about it) to miscreants.

This technology has been around for probably a decade where you can clear a bank account by standing or bumping into someone in a shop and connecting with the bank card in their wallet or purse.
    Your sources?
    https://www.iol.co.za/personal-finan...abric-16664597
    https://www.sabric.co.za/media-and-n...actless-cards/
    https://mybroadband.co.za/news/banki...th-africa.html
    +++