Evoque vs X1 - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Evoque vs X1

Default Re: Evoque vs X1

Quote Originally Posted by 4xhilux View Post
    There was a tread in the LR section where a number of people mentioned the Evoque giving lots of problems. Engines needing to be replaced etc with low mileage. Jeandre Diederiks also mentioned some common problems on the Evoque engines.

Edited to add the links. Looks like the diesel is the better option...

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...=evoque+engine

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...=evoque+engine
    I take forum accounts of problems with a huge dose of epsom salts. Not just this forum, ALL forums. The comments just plain and truly do not reflect the average persons experiences.

Ironically the two threads referenced above seem to highlight what looks like two personal accounts of problems from a long time ago on old cars. And then the people who have probably never even sat in one pipe up with anecdotal BS that is totally irrelivent. Even more interesting is that there are even more people on those threads with personal accounts of extreme reliability on cars with high mileage.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

Quote Originally Posted by dirtshark View Post
    My opinion is based on the facts in the OP - the X1 is three years old, has less mileage, cheaper and has 2.5 years left on the plan(which imo is gold).......the Evoque is five years old, more mileage, more expensive and only 6months left on the plan, unless you can extend the plan at a decent price I will standby my decision
    Oh, and regarding the Evoque being one of the most reliable cars on the market......tell that to my sister in law who had the whole drive train replaced on hers at 30k
    Somebody is jerking somebody off. (Somebody extremely gullible is being jerked off)
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Hey guys, thanks for all the insightful comments! We test drove both vehicles yesterday and here is the feedback:

X1 looks great and drives well. It is the facelift F48 - not sure if the 2019 model is a different shape. It did not have nav or electric seat adjustment. Wife questioned this as her Freelander has both. "Why would we swap our Freelander for something with less features?"

Evoque was stunning to look at (midnight blue). From the wife's view it has everything her Freelander has and more. Drive felt slightly better than the X1. Some wear on the leather seats. Tires would need replacing and I priced it at R4k for the 20 inch Contis

Would regards to reliability, I appreciate all the personal experiences. We have had our 2009 Freelander for about 6 years. It came with 1 year motorplan left. In the 6 years, we have had no issues except for normal maintenance. We never took any extended motorplan. I know it is only 1 instance, but the ownership experience seems to give me confidence considering it is a similar platform to the Evoque.

The search continues and I will keep all updated. Thanks so much!

I'm sorry but there is really no comparison here. Coming from the Freelander, with a choice between those two only the evoque will compare (basically the exact same running gear). The X1 is not a real SUV, it's a compact crossover at best, but realistically it's a platkar pretending to be more.

The X3 is the right car to compare with here...

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    Somebody is jerking somebody off. (Somebody extremely gullible is being jerked off)
    Hey Fluffy stop fluffing yourself mate Has it ever crossed your mind that maybe, just maybe NOT everyone here posts BS ALL the time
    FJC - Just Cruising

Thought I will update. Sold our Freelander 2 a few weeks ago and bought an Evoque this past Friday. As some of you correctly pointed out, a different class to the X1 in almost all respects.

Given the cost of adding extended motorplan on a 2014 model, we decided to up the budget and get a MY2017 model with 2.5 years left on the plan at a really good deal. Was surprised at how willing the dealers were to negotiate - suppose it is currently a buyer's market.

Anyway, Fuji White Dynamic HSE with a number of options including black pack, roof rails, side steps, Meridian with rear seat screens, blind spot monitoring, Incontrol, etc.

It has the updated infotainment system with no side buttons and no Android auto or Apple Carplay. Interestingly, Land Rover indicated that they will send the vehicle on Monday to get a module fitted that will give this functionality seamlessly.

Will post some pics when I collect the vehicle later this week.

Thanks for all the insights. No regrets.

Quote Originally Posted by shazybug View Post
    Thought I will update. Sold our Freelander 2 a few weeks ago and bought an Evoque this past Friday. As some of you correctly pointed out, a different class to the X1 in almost all respects.

Given the cost of adding extended motorplan on a 2014 model, we decided to up the budget and get a MY2017 model with 2.5 years left on the plan at a really good deal. Was surprised at how willing the dealers were to negotiate - suppose it is currently a buyer's market.

Anyway, Fuji White Dynamic HSE with a number of options including black pack, roof rails, side steps, Meridian with rear seat screens, blind spot monitoring, Incontrol, etc.

It has the updated infotainment system with no side buttons and no Android auto or Apple Carplay. Interestingly, Land Rover indicated that they will send the vehicle on Monday to get a module fitted that will give this functionality seamlessly.

Will post some pics when I collect the vehicle later this week.

Thanks for all the insights. No regrets.
    Congratulations.

Enjoy!

Please get details on module for connecting infotainment system.

Does it include live navigation.
    One of my only dissapointments in the Evoque is the navigation.
    Yizwa imithandazo yethu,

Quote Originally Posted by Mal Hannes View Post
    Congratulations.

Enjoy!

Please get details on module for connecting infotainment system.

Does it include live navigation.
    One of my only dissapointments in the Evoque is the navigation.
    Will do once I see it.

I think it costs about R6k to install. You can plug your phone in the existing usb in the armrest storage and get full functionality including Google maps, Waze, etc.

I researched this on the internet but could not find anyone advertising this system for installation. Definitely not Land Rover themselves doing this.

Quote Originally Posted by shazybug View Post
    Will do once I see it.

I think it costs about R6k to install. You can plug your phone in the existing usb in the armrest storage and get full functionality including Google maps, Waze, etc.

I researched this on the internet but could not find anyone advertising this system for installation. Definitely not Land Rover themselves doing this.
    Very exciting.

The Evoque is a real pleasure.
    Yizwa imithandazo yethu,

I am waiting in anticipation for details of who and what of this system.
    Anybody else know of a system that can transform the Landrover off line navigation to an online navigation.
    Yizwa imithandazo yethu,

Apologies for the delay. Picked up the car on Tuesday but had no time to mess around with it.

It looks like a separate system from JLRs infotainment. Installed a switch next to the drinks holder to toggle between the android auto and the Incontrol system. Both are completely independent. Also installed a usb male in the armrest compartment to plug the phone in. Below are some screenshots. Works fine, quite snappy, but have not had the time to test all the features.

Only complaint is the resolution looks a bit lower than the JLR system. But there may be settings to adjust it. Need to spend some time with it. It was done by N1 City Landrover here in the Cape.

Here's one of car itself . Apologies for quality of the pics, had to use my old phone while the new phone was plugged into the car

Fantastic.

The red button is a bit dissapointing but if it works it is worth it.

Do you have a name or an installer name.

The USB inside the compartment is standard.
    Yizwa imithandazo yethu,

Fantastic.

If I had known that there was going to be a hard button, I would have suggested a more premium button.

Let me ask the salesman for the contact tomorrow.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to shazybug For This Useful Post:

Fantastic.

PM Sent.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2