Volkswagen Touareg or Jeep Grand Cherokee???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Volkswagen Touareg or Jeep Grand Cherokee???

I am in the market for a good deal an a Volkswagen Touareg Escape. The model that has both air suspension and low range. I don't want to spend a lot on it as I am not planning on driving it for more than two years. Price range is R200k - R280k. I missed a good deal on one 8 month's ago. Problem is, I haven't found a decently priced one with moderate mileage since then. There is currently one available that I know of, but the mileage is extremely high. Price is good, but it has 230,000km on the clock. I don't mind driving VW with high mileage. My first Amarok did 190,000km trouble free and my second is currently at 135,000km trouble free. Problem is, I know I take care of my vehicle. To buy one with 240,000km not knowing how good it was cared for scares me. Especially since you don't get decent aftermarket warranty's for vehicles with more than 200,000km.
    I started looking at other options. Found a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with offroad package. 80,000km. Still under warranty till July 2020. Apparantly I still have an option to extend the warranty. Price is R40k more expensive.

Looking for some opinions and personal experience if possible, especially with the Jeep. Would you go for the VW Touareg that is much more reliable in general, but has extremely high mileage and no option for extended warranty, or would you go for the Jeep that is notorious for it's ability to leave you stranded? Keep in mind it has 150,000km less mileage on it, and you can still get a warranty.
    I look at websites that give breakdown statistics for both vehicles, and Jeep is much, much worse. Only thing is, the website use American statistics and give the amount of breakdowns, not the percentage according to sales. Jeep sells much better in the states than the Touareg, so I am not sure if that can be used as a guide. Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee really that unreliable, or has it's unreliability been exaggerated?

Default Re: Volkswagen Touareg or Jeep Grand Cherokee???

Quote Originally Posted by Netler View Post
    ......... or would you go for the Jeep that is notorious for it's ability to leave you stranded? Keep in mind it has 150,000km less mileage on it, and you can still get a warranty.
    I look at websites that give breakdown statistics for both vehicles, and Jeep is much, much worse. Only thing is, the website use American statistics and give the amount of breakdowns, not the percentage according to sales. Jeep sells much better in the states than the Touareg, so I am not sure if that can be used as a guide. Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee really that unreliable, or has it's unreliability been exaggerated?
    ja well I dunno if you understand statistics

The Jeep is still under a full factory warranty and service plan. You decide which is the higher risk: the high mileage Beetle or the low mileage Jeep.

How many KMs will you do in 2 years? 50,000km? So the Jeep will only be on 130,000kms and probably still inside the factory extended warranty and service plan.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

I would go with the Jeep.

Especially if it's trail rated
    Last edited by Oppies3800; 2019/04/16 at 05:23 AM.
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

I much prefer the VW, but in this case, I would get the Jeep.

I'm very biased so the Touareg it would be for me. 230k km is nothing for those engines. For R40k I can do a lot of maintenance on the touareg.
    But again I am biased to the extreme so not good to give advise in that case.
    Audi S6 - 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro - my daily
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Both are nice vehicles.

I prefer German, to American, but that's me.

Drive both (at least 100km, in city and open road - it you can add a bit of gravel, even better).

You decide.
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

Both nice vehicles. I had a very hard look at a Hemi before I bought the Treg.

1. Treg will be more comfortable with air suspension
    2. Jeep will have more packing space (the sloping roofline of the Treg hampers rear packing space.
    3. Both have low range but VW have slightly better electronics (VSC/ASR etc)
    4. Both have rear diff lock, but the Treg you can select open or closed center diff in low range. This gives a more usable range
    5. Treg has 100l diesel capacity (not sure on Jeep)
    6. Treg has better NVH characteristics. Just close the doors on both and you will hear the difference between a solid "thud" and a metallic "clang"
    7. Depending on how both are specced, the creature comforts may differ. But both have radar CC, collision avoidance etc. as options
    8. Jeep has full size spare, Treg has this silly space saver thing. So you will require additional spare and carry it on the roof (like I do)

Just some of the comparisons I made.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

For peace of mind go for the Jeep.

You still have more than a year on the original warranty plus the option of the extended warranty."Apparently I still have an option to extend the warranty."
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

9. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Polokwane For This Useful Post:

I think you should continue looking for a lower mileage Touareg
    We can't change the wind but we can set our sails

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Francois Theron For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by DC Polokwane View Post
    For peace of mind go for the Jeep.

You still have more than a year on the original warranty plus the option of the extended warranty."Apparently I still have an option to extend the warranty."
    You see I always struggle with this thinking. Peace of mind for me comes from a car that is less likely to break than one which might but has a warranty. I would always rather go for the less likely to break option.
    Oh yes. Keep remembering I am biased. heavily, for a reason.

What he said.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    You see I always struggle with this thinking. Peace of mind for me comes from a car that is less likely to break than one which might but has a warranty. I would always rather go for the less likely to break option.
    Go then for a White Toyota - any one will do.

Quote Originally Posted by Zirk View Post
    It only takes so long!
    "Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity" - Martin Luther king Jr

2006 VW Touareg V10 TDi
    (currently done more than 407 000 km)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to 4eTouareg For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Zirk View Post
    You know what - I have owned several toyota products in my life as well. Those absolutely reliable hi-lux and landcruisers. They also required maintenance and they also had stuff breaking.
    And the parts prices sometimes made me want to cry.
    So no thanks I am happy with what I have. There are other options in life.
    oh yes they were all white so that wasn't the solution either..

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

I don't know the specific models so well, are they diesel or petrol? You might have to look at fuel spend also.

I would always go for a Toyota/Mazda/Ford/VW/Jeep/LR/Mitsu with 80 000km, 1-year warranty and option for an extended warranty, for R40 0000 more than a Toyota/Mazda/Ford/VW/Jeep/LR/Mitsu with 240 000km and no warranty.

In this case the Jeep is the right choice between these two.

If the OP specifically wants a Touareg he must just wait it out till he gets the right one at the right price.

"I would always rather go for the less likely to break option."

All vehicles break, even the famed Toyota as per your post #14 and accidents do happen.
    Jeep Grand Cherokee 2002 4.7 V8

When they do break for a vw / audi I call my local goldwagen and get parts chop chop. There is also a huge network of second hand parts for vw and audi becuase of the numbers sold and many models sharing engines etc. i can rustle up a replacement ecu (at R2500) for instance in a matter of hours.
    I was in chobe at chobe lodge and there was a jeep (grand cherokee) with an ecu that died. The owner was there for two weeks already while waiting for an ecu to be flown in from the US with a suitably equipped mechanic with the coding gear to get the car going again.
    So yes much of that is personal choice. In that case having a warranty fornhim was great from a cost point of view but not from a time point of view.
    But each to his own. Like i say I am heavily biased and repair my own vehicles so warranty to me is just a pain in the behind, meaning I have to deal with people that I don't want to have to deal with and that I Don't trust. So I specifically will NOT buy cars with a warranty.

Thanks for everyone's input so far. My apologies for my absence. I tend to agree a lot with Stephan's point of view. In fact, I don't think the Jeep is an option anymore. I went to test drive as similar Jeep here in Rustenburg, and test drove the Touareg V8 as there isn't a V6 available to test here. Did about 10km city driving, 15km highway and 2km gravel. Comfort wise they are both very nice vehicle's. I enjoyed the Jeep just a little more than the Touareg, but not enough to make that a deciding factor. I dropped by our local Jeep / Mercedes dealership after the test drive to speak to a relatively honest sales person I have dealt with before on the new cars side. After making it clear I am not there to buy a new vehicle from him, just want some honest advise, he had the following to say: "I am not comfortable to speak ill off vehicles I am supposed to sell. The Grand Cherokee is a very nice vehicle, but make sure to take that extended warranty." With emphasis on the last part. Yes, a warranty is nice in the sense that it doesn't cost you money, but what if it breaks down while I am in Chobe as Stephan mentioned.

I have seen two comments saying I must wait longer for a Touareg with lower mileage. To be honest, you are right, but I am "gatvol" waiting. I have been patiently waiting for 9 month's now. The Escape model with terrain package is extremely rare and it feels like they are getting more and more expensive. When I started looking I had 3 possibilities in the same price range as this Touareg, but with way less mileage. They were unfortunately in three different states and I couldn't get to them in time. The one in Jhb I literally missed with 10 minutes. It was sold while I was busy with the test drive. 9 Month's later, this is the first time there is one available again in my price range. In fact, as far as I can see it is the only one for sale in SA at the moment. If anyone knows of an Escape model for sale between R200k - R300k, please let met know.

On the Toyota comment. I won't elaborate as I don't want to start another brand war. I am just not a Toyota fan at all. Dont' like the Hilux, don't like the Prado, nor the Cruiser. My Amarok had 130,000 km on the clock when I test drove the new Hilux and all though I though it was a very big improvement on the old one, I kouldn't help but think that I am enjoying my old Amarok a lot more. I know there is a lot of die-hard Toyota fans out there, but I just am not one of them. Thanks again for your input.

I will go through to Pretoria on Saturday to inspect the Touareg. Will let you know how it looks.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Netler For This Useful Post:

Netler, it remains your decision. I also donít speak ill of other brands and provided my honest comments. Look, a treg with 200k km on is a risk. It is a 1bar vehicle and parts match the price for a reason. But it is an awesome vehicle.

Strongs with thedecision
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Nys For This Useful Post:

When they do break for a vw / audi I call my local goldwagen and get parts chop chop. There is also a huge network of second hand parts for vw and audi becuase of the numbers sold and many models sharing engines etc. i can rustle up a replacement ecu (at R2500) for instance in a matter of hours.
    I was in chobe at chobe lodge and there was a jeep (grand cherokee) with an ecu that died. The owner was there for two weeks already while waiting for an ecu to be flown in from the US with a suitably equipped mechanic with the coding gear to get the car going again.
    So yes much of that is personal choice. In that case having a warranty fornhim was great from a cost point of view but not from a time point of view.
    But each to his own. Like i say I am heavily biased and repair my own vehicles so warranty to me is just a pain in the behind, meaning I have to deal with people that I don't want to have to deal with and that I Don't trust. So I specifically will NOT buy cars with a warranty.
    Stephan I really enjoy your posts. People with your type of skills are scarce. Yes I am also not bothered by warranties. Like you I service and repair my own vehicles. What seems and is very easy for you to fix is a nightmare for most.

Reading the VW forum a high miler Touareg is a big no, no if you does not have the skills or are prepared to spend many hours fixing small little niggles.
    The same can be said high mile Jeeps like the Cherokee.

Reading the last post of the OP he has made up his mind. Hope he befriends you soon
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast