Volkswagen Touareg or Jeep Grand Cherokee??? - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: Volkswagen Touareg or Jeep Grand Cherokee???

Quote Originally Posted by Stephan van Tonder View Post
    You know what - I have owned several toyota products in my life as well. Those absolutely reliable hi-lux and landcruisers. They also required maintenance and they also had stuff breaking.
    And the parts prices sometimes made me want to cry.
    So no thanks I am happy with what I have. There are other options in life.
    oh yes they were all white so that wasn't the solution either..
    So well put!

As for Op's question, I like both, I have owned both (albeit older models, so not really applicable to your exact situation). My brother has a 3.0 CRD Grand Cherokee (2013) so I have some familiarity with the new model. Unless the Treg's boot got a lot smaller since 2007 the Jeep has a smaller boot. The lack of a full size spare is a problem on the Treg, but depending on your use it isn't as big a problem, and you can always make a plan like Nys said. I do think the Treg is more reliable even at higher miles, again, my brother's Jeep has full service history at the agent and just over 100k km on the cock, but the car still had a major breakdown in December leaving them stranded and taking 3 weeks to resolve.

Having also driven both off road the Treg is arguably better, the main gripe I had was that the Jeep did not stay in the selected gear even when specifying the gear using the shifter, if revs got too high it would change over (sometimes at very inconvenient places). I also love the air suspension for comfort and versatility (rock crawler to highway cruiser in 30s flat), but the Jeeps do have air suspension as well, so not a decider. ALso, R40k is a lot of money, so there is that.

In the end for my money I would probably opt for the Treg, but your heart would probably tell you what to do because they are both good options.
    Last edited by Commander; 2019/04/18 at 07:16 AM.

'07 VW Touareg (T2) 3.0 V6 TDi (BKS), Air Suspension, Centre and Rear diff locks, DeCAT, 265-65R17 muds
    '01 Jeep WJ Limited 4.7 V8 with some bits - Sold
    '83 Range Rover Classic 3dr 3.5 V8 Rust bucket - Sold

Yeah Rustenburg ain't that far .
    Like most german vehicles touregs like maintenance. So the difference between a toyota and most of the high end vehicles are that even if you severely neglect it they will most likely just keep going. Evidenced by hundreds of barely together conquests on the road.
    The german things will start complaining and get all kind of little niggles if you neglect the maintenance.
    I have almost never been left stranded next to the road by any of my high mileage cars - the only occasion was while test driving one of our rescues and the serpentine belt failed - which I had planned to change but did not get around to yet. I have owned roughly 70 odd cars in the 34 years I have owned cars - all of them VW/Audi except 2 x hilux and 1 x 80 series landcruiser.
    But yes - you have to 'keep your hand on them' and stay ahead of the items we know fail.

On the v6 3l tdi those items I can literally name. Those engines are virtually in every model audi/vw that came with a longitudinal mount engine. A4,A5,A6,A7,A8, Q5,Q7, touareg, cayenne, macan, amarok and is by far my favorite engine that has ever been made by the VAG group. In it's first iteration they built around 1.6 million of them(2005 to 2009). No idea how many there has been since of series 2(last 10 years).

160k ish - serpentine belt and it's rollers need to be changed ( R2600 odd for parts and labour On touareg you can do it without undoing the nose on the A audis the nose must move away to make space)
    90k intervals you want to have changed the fuel pump drive belt(R1000 odd for parts. DIY or around an hour labour) drive belt was dropped on the new series motors - all running on a chain on the back.
    Manifold flaps will start giving trouble around 140-150k km. First swop the links kit - if still an issue - code out.(R380 in parts or around R2k to code out)
    around 180k km some will give an issue with the EGR throttle body - code out - blank off.(R2k to code out but then you sommer do them all, dpf, flaps, egr)
    200k km some will start leaking on the rear main bearing seal. (engine out job on most of them Bit expensive - R10k ish)
    some Early models - like 2005/2006 will have smoking on idle due to injector issues. Sometimes just blanking and coding out EGR makes that go away.(injectors can be refurbed in Germany or Romania at 100 euro ea or so)
    Had some failures on the oil to water heat exchanger (rare)
    130k km onwards the water (stupid little plastic thing) pipe joining the two head's bleed ports will fail (R180 - change it at the first sign of crud around the outside)
    BMK/BKS/ASB engine codes sometimes has turbo boost controller issues around 200k km. CAS /CCW later ones with the hella controller I have not seen a failure yet(2009 or so onwards). Expensive excercise at anything from R9k to R17k)
    Recently have seen a few that leak under the injector seal from around 180k km. clean the hole and put in a new seal which costs R80.

SO i basically know Exactly when to expect what and for customer cars we'll start changing those items at the km's we know they give a problem.
    Because I do literally JUST audi and VW we get to know them very well. I also own 4 cars with the 3l tdi so have lived through many maintenance cycles on them.
    And that is no sugar coating or hiding anything I know about them. It is a very robust engine and we have seen some examples with well over 500k km on.
    Mine I currently own have 120k km, 150k km(wife's daily drive) , 255k km(my daily driver) and recently sold one which had 265k km on. This was an A4 B7 was heavily chipped with all stock hardware - even it's cat, EGR and flaps still active - driven Hard - daily for 6 years.
    Except normal services(including the belts and rollers) the only thing I EVER changed on this car was an alternator at 240k km.
    I still speak to the owner - last time we spoke it had 280k odd on the clock.
    I have bought and sold several others which we maintain still and most of them are sitting in the 200 to 300k km mark at the moment.

Touareg specific issues on the T3, I have not seen many - one of them I look after has a front diff that started to get noisy as well and we'll do bearings soon.
    they seem to have sorted most of the stuff that was an issue on T1,T2.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/04/18 at 07:46 AM.
    Audi S6 2008 - v10 Quattro
    Audi A6 Avant - 2005 - 3l TDi Quattro - my daily
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    Audi 90 Coupe - 1995 - 2.8l V6 quattro
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDi Awd
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

Audi A5 - 2l TSI - 2010 - 2 door 229k km - for sale

3. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stephan van Tonder For This Useful Post:

Thanks Stephan but that is a lot of maintenance that needs to be done. Difference is by experience you know where to look and what to do. Ordinary Johnny and even most mechanics not familiar with the vehicle would neglect. Adding up the costs you mentioned is still a hefty sum on maintenance.

Then you are also due for the expensive suspension repairs as the miles creep on.

As said I admire your skills, knowledge and experience. Staying in the Platteland I can hardly think of any mechanic or indy that will be able to maintain a high mile Touareg. Those that can will simply bankrupt the owner.
    It is not what you buy its what you build.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to grips For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Reading the last post of the OP he has made up his mind. Hope he befriends you soon
    I agree

https://www.4x4community.co.za/forum...nt-start/page3
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

so the items that are maintenance we upfront do is
    serpentine belt and rollers.
    pump drive belt(just like a timing belt has intervals)
    plastic water pipe.

The rest of the items are attend to - look for - fix when it happens.
    Does not happen to all of them.
    was just mentioned as the most common 'failures' - none of which will leave you stranded. Maybe just put on an engine light that annoys you.
    Boost controller will make it lazy but still take you home.

Quote Originally Posted by Commander View Post
    ..., my brother's Jeep has full service history at the agent and just over 100k km on the cock, but the car still had a major breakdown in December leaving them stranded and taking 3 weeks to resolve.

Having also driven both off road the Treg is arguably better, the main gripe I had was that the Jeep did not stay in the selected gear even when specifying the gear using the shifter, if revs got too high it would change over (sometimes at very inconvenient places). I also love the air suspension for comfort and versatility (rock crawler to highway cruiser in 30s flat), but the Jeeps do have air suspension as well, so not a decider. ALso, R40k is a lot of money, so there is that.

In the end for my money I would probably opt for the Treg, but your heart would probably tell you what to do because they are both good options.
    What happened to your brother is exactly what I am afraid off. Don't think a dealership would appreciate me taking their vehicle for some proper off roading so I can't comment on that yet, but they both did gravel at low and high speed very well. Really enjoyed both. As mentioned I like the Jeep, but after some further research it's not an option anymore. Haven't decided on this one yet, all depends on how well it was looked after and if he agrees ot it, the vehicle first has to pass Stephan's quality inspection first...

Quote Originally Posted by grips View Post
    Stephan I really enjoy your posts. People with your type of skills are scarce. Yes I am also not bothered by warranties. Like you I service and repair my own vehicles. What seems and is very easy for you to fix is a nightmare for most.

Reading the VW forum a high miler Touareg is a big no, no if you does not have the skills or are prepared to spend many hours fixing small little niggles.
    The same can be said high mile Jeeps like the Cherokee.

Reading the last post of the OP he has made up his mind. Hope he befriends you soon
    Actually I already befriended Stephan in October last year when I just missed the first one.

Yeah Rustenburg ain't that far .
    Like most german vehicles touregs like maintenance. So the difference between a toyota and most of the high end vehicles are that even if you severely neglect it they will most likely just keep going. Evidenced by hundreds of barely together conquests on the road.
    The german things will start complaining and get all kind of little niggles if you neglect the maintenance.
    I have almost never been left stranded next to the road by any of my high mileage cars - the only occasion was while test driving one of our rescues and the serpentine belt failed - which I had planned to change but did not get around to yet. I have owned roughly 70 odd cars in the 34 years I have owned cars - all of them VW/Audi except 2 x hilux and 1 x 80 series landcruiser.
    But yes - you have to 'keep your hand on them' and stay ahead of the items we know fail.

On the v6 3l tdi those items I can literally name. Those engines are virtually in every model audi/vw that came with a longitudinal mount engine. A4,A5,A6,A7,A8, Q5,Q7, touareg, cayenne, macan, amarok and is by far my favorite engine that has ever been made by the VAG group. In it's first iteration they built around 1.6 million of them(2005 to 2009). No idea how many there has been since of series 2(last 10 years).

160k ish - serpentine belt and it's rollers need to be changed ( R2600 odd for parts and labour On touareg you can do it without undoing the nose on the A audis the nose must move away to make space)
    90k intervals you want to have changed the fuel pump drive belt(R1000 odd for parts. DIY or around an hour labour) drive belt was dropped on the new series motors - all running on a chain on the back.
    Manifold flaps will start giving trouble around 140-150k km. First swop the links kit - if still an issue - code out.(R380 in parts or around R2k to code out)
    around 180k km some will give an issue with the EGR throttle body - code out - blank off.(R2k to code out but then you sommer do them all, dpf, flaps, egr)
    200k km some will start leaking on the rear main bearing seal. (engine out job on most of them Bit expensive - R10k ish)
    some Early models - like 2005/2006 will have smoking on idle due to injector issues. Sometimes just blanking and coding out EGR makes that go away.(injectors can be refurbed in Germany or Romania at 100 euro ea or so)
    Had some failures on the oil to water heat exchanger (rare)
    130k km onwards the water (stupid little plastic thing) pipe joining the two head's bleed ports will fail (R180 - change it at the first sign of crud around the outside)
    BMK/BKS/ASB engine codes sometimes has turbo boost controller issues around 200k km. CAS /CCW later ones with the hella controller I have not seen a failure yet(2009 or so onwards). Expensive excercise at anything from R9k to R17k)
    Recently have seen a few that leak under the injector seal from around 180k km. clean the hole and put in a new seal which costs R80.

SO i basically know Exactly when to expect what and for customer cars we'll start changing those items at the km's we know they give a problem.
    Because I do literally JUST audi and VW we get to know them very well. I also own 4 cars with the 3l tdi so have lived through many maintenance cycles on them.
    And that is no sugar coating or hiding anything I know about them. It is a very robust engine and we have seen some examples with well over 500k km on.
    Mine I currently own have 120k km, 150k km(wife's daily drive) , 255k km(my daily driver) and recently sold one which had 265k km on. This was an A4 B7 was heavily chipped with all stock hardware - even it's cat, EGR and flaps still active - driven Hard - daily for 6 years.
    Except normal services(including the belts and rollers) the only thing I EVER changed on this car was an alternator at 240k km.
    I still speak to the owner - last time we spoke it had 280k odd on the clock.
    I have bought and sold several others which we maintain still and most of them are sitting in the 200 to 300k km mark at the moment.

Touareg specific issues on the T3, I have not seen many - one of them I look after has a front diff that started to get noisy as well and we'll do bearings soon.
    they seem to have sorted most of the stuff that was an issue on T1,T2.
    Thanks once again for all your information. As mentioned, Rustenburg is not far. Whether I buy this one or another, I will rather take a day once or twice a year and bring them to your shop for a service and know all mentioned above is taken care of and looked at. That is if I understand correctly and you have a servicing center?

There is a 4.2 V8 with 155k km for similar price. If looked after, are they also reliable, or rather stick with the V6? Obviously first choice is the Terrain Tech with low range, but it's 80k km less for similar price...

The v8 is virtually the v6 motor with 2 extra cylinders. The few that we service have not shown any issues. If you have to have low range it is only available on the v6 though and yes they are scarce. I do work part time, after hours and weekends.

The v8 is virtually the v6 motor with 2 extra cylinders. The few that we service have not shown any issues. If you have to have low range it is only available on the v6 though and yes they are scarce. I do work part time, after hours and weekends.
    Sounds like a perfect time to become an assistant on a Saturday and learn more about my vehicle.

Kidding aside, it is not really about the low range. My Amarok doesn't have low range and I can do everything any other standard bakkie can do. Some things even better... I am more concerned about the diff lock, which to my knowledge the regular V6 and V8 doesn't have. The regular V6 has a smaller fuel tand and apparently the Terrain tech has higher ground clearance and under-body protection. Please correct me if I am wrong on anything just mentioned. This is the only reason why I want the terrain tech. When I do off road tracks near Rustenburg it will probably be with the Amarok. The Touareg will mostly see dunes in Desember, but there is a Botswana trip somewhere on the horizon. How important is the diff lock, under-body protection and higher ground clearance then?

I have owned both Touareg and Grand Cherokee from new. My Touareg was purchased 2009, was the TDi V6 version with low and high range but no air suspension. I used it extensively in the Free State and Eastern Cape where I worked as a Civil Engineer. I kept it for approx 50,000 km and my biggest problem was Tyres. I could not get more than 14000 km from a set. Used mainly on road, I even tried Michelin X tyres to prolong wear as advised by the dealer in Bloem, but to no avail. Comfort was good.Power also very good. Eventually I got stranded at Hickmans river crossing the river at 500mm depth of water. The water entered in from the lowpoint of the air intake where a clip had not been fastened properly from its last service. Took 3 months to repair at the dealers in P.E. Good job but a long time to wait!! My Grand Cherokee was bought new in East London on 1st January 2014. The 3 litre 8 speed gearbox diesel overland. I still currently drive this one as I am retired now. Came with a 3 year warranty which I could extend for 2 further years at a cost of R22000.00 which I did not take up. Have driven 64000 km now short,overland and off road journeys, and I swear it is the best 4x4 I have ever had. (Have also had Prado, X3, Mitsubishi Bakkie, and Isuzu) It is extremely comfortable, consumption is 7,9 litres/100km on a trip from East London to Malalane, Kruger Park (3 times) have never had a problem between services and still drives like new. The only spares purchase I have had to make since new is a pair of windscreen wiper blades at its last service. Expensive at nearly R3000.00 fitted. Tyres last 25-30000 km. Having changed my vehicles regularly at about 2 - 3 years intervals throughout my working life, I am content to stay with my Grand Cherokee, now 5 years until one of us expires.

15. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to BJL For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Netler View Post
    I am in the market for a good deal an a Volkswagen Touareg Escape. The model that has both air suspension and low range. I don't want to spend a lot on it as I am not planning on driving it for more than two years. Price range is R200k - R280k. I missed a good deal on one 8 month's ago. Problem is, I haven't found a decently priced one with moderate mileage since then. There is currently one available that I know of, but the mileage is extremely high. Price is good, but it has 230,000km on the clock. I don't mind driving VW with high mileage. My first Amarok did 190,000km trouble free and my second is currently at 135,000km trouble free. Problem is, I know I take care of my vehicle. To buy one with 240,000km not knowing how good it was cared for scares me. Especially since you don't get decent aftermarket warranty's for vehicles with more than 200,000km.
    I started looking at other options. Found a 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited with offroad package. 80,000km. Still under warranty till July 2020. Apparantly I still have an option to extend the warranty. Price is R40k more expensive.

Looking for some opinions and personal experience if possible, especially with the Jeep. Would you go for the VW Touareg that is much more reliable in general, but has extremely high mileage and no option for extended warranty, or would you go for the Jeep that is notorious for it's ability to leave you stranded? Keep in mind it has 150,000km less mileage on it, and you can still get a warranty.
    I look at websites that give breakdown statistics for both vehicles, and Jeep is much, much worse. Only thing is, the website use American statistics and give the amount of breakdowns, not the percentage according to sales. Jeep sells much better in the states than the Touareg, so I am not sure if that can be used as a guide. Is the Jeep Grand Cherokee really that unreliable, or has it's unreliability been exaggerated?
    Go for the Jeep I dont know where this "reliability" issue origenates but mine have 350000 km on clock runs like a swiss watch and have superior 4x4 capability

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Struikelblok For This Useful Post:

Go for the Jeep I dont know where this "reliability" issue origenates but mine have 350000 km on clock runs like a swiss watch and have superior 4x4 capability

All the touaregs have a 100l tank.
    The terrain tech literally only has the low range different. It has no better underbody protection. Same plastic covers they had on the t1,2.
    Yes the air suspension is really awesome for offroad.
    Sadly not the first occurance of touareg drowning from air guide pipes not clipped in at service.
    My advise is if you have intentions of doing water crossings then learn how to open the airbox and check those things before you go. The service guys just don't care. Even better would be to silicone them in place and maybe a little self tapper to make sure they don't get pulled out.

Default Volkswagen Touareg or Jeep Grand Cherokee???

I am on my fourth Grand Cherokee now and will not consider any other vehicle. I don't know where the unreliability factor comes in, as my 2005 Hemi has now 195 000km on the clock and the only expenses were services. My 2012 CRD has 65 000km on the clock and up to now. only cost me services. Buying used, the Grand Cherokee must be the best bang for the buck one can find, which is due to the false perception that it is unreliable and expensive to maintain. I am already looking for an 8-speed Hemi to replace my CRD, as I am a petrol head and Diesel is not exactly my cup of tea.

Mine: 2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7L Hemi Ltd - (OME 2" lift, JK Rims, 1.25" wheel spacers, Firestone Destination A/T 265/65/17 tyres & free-flow silencer)
    Swambo: 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee WK2 3.0 CRD Overland (Standard, but with 275/55/20 Yokohama Geolander GO15 tyres)

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeeper For This Useful Post:

All the touaregs have a 100l tank.
    The terrain tech literally only has the low range different. It has no better underbody protection. Same plastic covers they had on the t1,2.
    Yes the air suspension is really awesome for offroad.
    Sadly not the first occurance of touareg drowning from air guide pipes not clipped in at service.
    My advise is if you have intentions of doing water crossings then learn how to open the airbox and check those things before you go. The service guys just don't care. Even better would be to silicone them in place and maybe a little self tapper to make sure they don't get pulled out.
    I searched for a brochure, but since the new Touareg model already came out I couldn't find a brochure from a South African site. The one I downloaded is from Canada if I am not mistaken. Their versions differ a bit. The 3.0 V6 has a 85L fuel tank with plastic underbody protection. The Terrain Tech model has the 100L fuel tank with decent steel/aluminium underbody protection. There was no mention of the 4.2 V8. Interesting that all our models are the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeeper View Post
    I am on my fourth Grand Cherokee now and will not consider any other vehicle. I don't know where the unreliability factor comes in, as my 2005 Hemi has now 195 000km on the clock and the only expenses were services. My 2012 CRD has 65 000km on the clock and up to now. only cost me services. Buying used, the Grand Cherokee must be the best bang for the buck one can find, which is due to the false perception that it is unreliable and expensive to maintain. I am already looking for an 8-speed Hemi to replace my CRD, as I am a petrol head and Diesel is not exactly my cup of tea.
    Glad to hear you have such confidence in the brand and that it has never let you down. This is partly what I am trying to figure out, whether the unreliability is a false perception or not. To be honest, if I bought new, I would go for the Jeep. Thing is, I know the Touareg can take some punishment and stay reliable, but I don't know about the Jeep. Have you done any type of driving that tests their reliability?

Quote Originally Posted by Struikelblok View Post
    350,000 km is impressive. Glad to hear it hasn't given you any trouble. How much 4x4 driving did that include if you don't mind me asking?

Quote Originally Posted by BJL View Post
    I have owned both Touareg and Grand Cherokee from new. My Touareg was purchased 2009, was the TDi V6 version with low and high range but no air suspension. I used it extensively in the Free State and Eastern Cape where I worked as a Civil Engineer. I kept it for approx 50,000 km and my biggest problem was Tyres. I could not get more than 14000 km from a set. Used mainly on road, I even tried Michelin X tyres to prolong wear as advised by the dealer in Bloem, but to no avail. Comfort was good.Power also very good. Eventually I got stranded at Hickmans river crossing the river at 500mm depth of water. The water entered in from the lowpoint of the air intake where a clip had not been fastened properly from its last service. Took 3 months to repair at the dealers in P.E. Good job but a long time to wait!! My Grand Cherokee was bought new in East London on 1st January 2014. The 3 litre 8 speed gearbox diesel overland. I still currently drive this one as I am retired now. Came with a 3 year warranty which I could extend for 2 further years at a cost of R22000.00 which I did not take up. Have driven 64000 km now short,overland and off road journeys, and I swear it is the best 4x4 I have ever had. (Have also had Prado, X3, Mitsubishi Bakkie, and Isuzu) It is extremely comfortable, consumption is 7,9 litres/100km on a trip from East London to Malalane, Kruger Park (3 times) have never had a problem between services and still drives like new. The only spares purchase I have had to make since new is a pair of windscreen wiper blades at its last service. Expensive at nearly R3000.00 fitted. Tyres last 25-30000 km. Having changed my vehicles regularly at about 2 - 3 years intervals throughout my working life, I am content to stay with my Grand Cherokee, now 5 years until one of us expires.
    Thanks for your detailed feedback.

Talking about high mileage I posted in 2017 my daughter in the UK with her v6 tdi had 360000kms towing a horse box around the country to horse trials, it has just turned over 425000kms, still pulls like a train I see also 4e has a v10 with over 400000kms also.
    Audi A6 Avant Quattro V6 tdi ( Sold )
    VW Touareg V6 tdi ( sadly written off )
    2 x Toyota Celica GT4 Gen 6 (Sold) sadly missed
    2 x Toyota Celica Gen. 5 ( Sold ) not missed as much as the above.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast