Earth Leakage Tripping

Default Earth Leakage Tripping

Good day Forum Members

I am hoping for some advice on a strange problem i have with an earth leakage that us tripping.

The situation:
    Bought 3 SMEG appliances from their clearance sale earlier this year (dishwasher, tumble dryer with a heat pump and a washing mashine). These replaced a Bosch dishwasher, LG Tumble dryer and LG washing mashing. No issues with earth leakage tripping.

When connecting the tumble dryer, earth leakage trips immediately. Logged a call for SMEG to come and check this device out.
    Washing machine works with no issues at all and does not trip the earth leakage.
    Plug in the Dishwasher, no tripping on the earth leakage and I can use the device.

The Problem:
    When the dishwasher and the washing machine are plugged in together, the earth leakage trips randomly from two in the morning until about four thirty in the morning. No other time in the day does it do this.

This is bugging me to bits. Any ideas ?

Default Re: Earth Leakage Tripping

Your problem might be unrelated to the appliance. Geyser on a timer? From when to when?

SMEG is crap. There is your problem.

Try putting each piece of crap on different plugs which are on different breakers.

But a plug breaker is 20A: something is SERIOUSLY wrong if something trips a 20A cuircuit breaker and I'd say one or all of those devices were returned to SMEG as faulty and hence the clearance sale. They weren't on the sale for nothing.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jelo For This Useful Post:

I agree could be anything that comes on during that time , pool, lights, etc but remember earth leakage does not require the item to be on so it could be a loose wire , water etc best to have this tested out
    Pajero 3.2 DID Gen 4 Standard for now
    Platcar Alfa Giulietta 1.4 MA
    Swambo Volvo S40 T5

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    SMEG is crap. There is your problem.

Try putting each piece of crap on different plugs which are on different breakers.

But a plug breaker is 20A: something is SERIOUSLY wrong if something trips a 20A cuircuit breaker and I'd say one or all of those devices were returned to SMEG as faulty and hence the clearance sale. They weren't on the sale for nothing.
    It does not sound like the 20A breaker is tripping but rather the earth leakage if I read that correctly. Putting it on different breakers wont solve the problem then.
    Have you tried different plugs. If it still happens it could be the appliance. If not, it could be the wiring to the plug, the plug itself or the connection to the breaker or neutral in the DB
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Quote Originally Posted by pretorjn View Post
    If not, it could be the wiring to the plug, the plug itself or the connection to the breaker or neutral in the DB
    No issues with the previous appliances.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

Quote Originally Posted by jelo View Post
    No issues with the previous appliances.
    My bad, reading like I had a few special homebrews...
    Jacques

2013 Amarok BiTDi DC 4Motion
    2018 Bushlapa Ratel 4 Military Edition - BL1402

Sold - 2011 Conqueror Comfort
    Sold - 2004 Isuzu KB300 DC (was only 4x2 but a happy 240000km and 9 years)

Get someone to check insulation resistance with a meggar or similar test apparatus of the new bought appliances. Have them check your complete house insulation resistance, for starters at the DB, but in your case, as it did not trip before, should be fine.
    I can just mention that an E/L tripping sporadically "could" be extremely difficult to eliminate , and very tedious to find the faulty culprit/s.
    It could also be an sensitive E/L tripping at 15ma instead of 25, but this can only be determined with a E/L tester.
    Be prepared, it "could" take some time to eliminate the problem, hopefully not.

Thank you everyone. Linden Appliances coming out later today to test appliances.
    I have ruled out geyser and other appliances in the house as I have been connecting and disconnecting them for the last 3 weeks to try and identify the culprits. Narrowed it down to the situation where the dishwasher and washing machine are connected together.
    Because I never had this issue with the other appliances, I am assuming DB and the plugs are all in order.
    Another suggestion I received was changing the current CBI Earth Leakage switch on the DB, which I will do after the appliance repair chaps come out.

Quote Originally Posted by husainw View Post
    Thank you everyone. Linden Appliances coming out later today to test appliances.

Another suggestion I received was changing the current CBI Earth Leakage switch on the DB, which I will do after the appliance repair chaps come out.
    It is so simple with the right tools to check at what current the E/Leak trips than to just trail and error. Get someone to do the actual test and identify at what mA level the E/L trips. The E/L is a summing device and small earth faults could all add together to cause it to trip.

Surely you trips during the night can be eleminated by not having the suspect items pluged in the socket. Plugs should be removed as the N can also cause the trip if a earth and N touch anywhere on the installation.

As was indicated before get someone with a Megger - very few sparkies seem to have one these days - taking short cuts and wonder how they can do a proper insulation test without a Megger.

It is very clear this is not a overcurrent fault tripping a 20A MCB but the E/L trips due to an earth leakage current.
    Last edited by ekkekan; 2019/04/17 at 01:46 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ekkekan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ekkekan View Post
    It is so simple with the right tools to check at what current the E/Leak trips than to just trail and error. Get someone to do the actual test and identify at what mA level the E/L trips. The E/L is a summing device and small earth faults could all add together to cause it to trip.

Surely you trips during the night can be eleminated by not having the suspect items pluged in the socket. Plugs should be removed as the N can also cause the trip if a earth and N touch anywhere on the installation.

As was indicated before get someone with a Megger - very few sparkies seem to have one these days - taking short cuts and wonder how they can do a proper insulation test without a Megger.

It is very clear this is not a overcurrent fault tripping a 20A MCB but the E/L trips due to an earth leakage current.
    DO NOT USE A MEGGER, EVER, in a domestic home. UNLESS you know exactly what you are doing.
    Cheers

ZS5KAD
    3 V8's
    NA TwinTurbo SuperCharger
    A V6 and an inline 4

The frogs are starting to notice that the water is getting warm but it is already too hot to do anything about it.....

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Fluffy For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffy View Post
    DO NOT USE A MEGGER, EVER, in a domestic home. UNLESS you know exactly what you are doing.
    Correct Keith,
    Especially if the TV and stuff like that is plugged in, 500mv to 1000mv min used to pump back into the system will cause unnecessary damage to
    All appliances should be unplugged for the meggar or insulation resistance test.
    ORA
    -------------------------
    Ian

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OFFROAD ADDICT For This Useful Post:

Surely if you can afford SMEG appliances, why not just call an electrical contractor in to see what the issue is. Just a service call
    ORA
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by OFFROAD ADDICT View Post
    Surely if you can afford SMEG appliances, why not just call an electrical contractor in to see what the issue is. Just a service call
    Going to ignore the affordability comment and stick to issue on hand.
    Did call a few electricians, all with the same comment that problem is very hard to find and I should troubleshoot myself rather first - so doing what electricians recommended.

Going to ignore the affordability comment and stick to issue on hand.
    Did call a few electricians, all with the same comment that problem is very hard to find and I should troubleshoot myself rather first - so doing what electricians recommended.
    If my electricians told a customer to sort his own electrical problems out they will immediately be put on suspension with out pay.
    There is always a reason for tripping, and a qualified" experienced " technician will find that issue very quickly.
    Overloaded circuits, and Earth leakage tripping which is usually due to moisture issues are fairly easy to find.
    Intermittent issues like a fridge which compressor goes on and off at different times could also cause the tripping of an earth
    leakage, so we just temporarily take the fridge off the ELU.

I say experienced because over time you know exactly where to look and where to not look.
    ORA
    Ian

20. The Following User Says Thank You to OFFROAD ADDICT For This Useful Post:

If my electricians told a customer to sort his own electrical problems out they will immediately be put on suspension with out pay.
    There is always a reason for tripping, and a qualified" experienced " technician will find that issue very quickly.
    Overloaded circuits, and Earth leakage tripping which is usually due to moisture issues are fairly easy to find.
    Intermittent issues like a fridge which compressor goes on and off at different times could also cause the tripping of an earth
    leakage, so we just temporarily take the fridge off the ELU.

I say experienced because over time you know exactly where to look and where to not look.
    Came as quite a shock to me that I was asked to troubleshoot. Nevertheless, did my own troubleshooting and definitely not the fridge, heat pump, aircon, geyser and freezer. Only trips bet 02:30 and 04:30am. Two days now with dishwasher disconnected completely and no tripping.

Came as quite a shock to me that I was asked to troubleshoot. Nevertheless, did my own troubleshooting and definitely not the fridge, heat pump, aircon, geyser and freezer. Only trips bet 02:30 and 04:30am. Two days now with dishwasher disconnected completely and no tripping.
    Good golly, are you doing dishes 2.30am in the morning.
    ORA
    Ian

Good golly, are you doing dishes 2.30am in the morning.
    Not a chance :-). Funny thing is when dishwasher is in use during the day or evening, no tripping at all. And that's with the washing machine powered up but not running.