Tiger fishing in Hakusembe River lodge

Default Tiger fishing in Hakusembe River lodge

Hi,

My daughter (16) and I have never gone out fishing. In August we'll be driving from Roy's rest camp to Hakusembe river lodge. Because there will be plenty of time to do some activities, we were thinking of going tiger fishing in the afternoon.

Any thoughts? Would you recommend this?

Regards

Ivan

Default Re: Tiger fishing in Hakusembe River lodge

Quote Originally Posted by rubbens16 View Post
    Hi,

My daughter (16) and I have never gone out fishing. In August we'll be driving from Roy's rest camp to Hakusembe river lodge. Because there will be plenty of time to do some activities, we were thinking of going tiger fishing in the afternoon.

Any thoughts? Would you recommend this?

Regards

Ivan
    You will need to be a master fisherman to catch one, I tried and failed miserably.
    They were just too quick for me and my son.
    Good luck and have fun.

Yes go do it. You will enjoy it even if you do not catch one. Took a friend once on a sunset cruise at Shangkara. He has never fished for tiger fish and while we were cruising we had the lines out and he managed to cach a 3kg on that short cruise.

I would ask the lodge for some advice. If there is a fishing guide available, especially if he can take you by boat to the best spots, it will make it safer (crocodiles?) than fishing from the bank and increase your chances a lot. I have not fished there an don't know that part of the river, but that is what I have experienced on the Zambesi and the panhandle part of the Okavango. Local knowledge always trumps general fishing skill. Catching a tiger is a great experience, worth going to a bit of trouble for. I flyfish for them, but I think conventional spinning gear will make your chances much greater, especially if you only have limited time available.
    Last edited by DJR; 2019/04/14 at 03:48 PM.

I've asked the lodge to book the tiger fishing, but they were only able to book it in the morning (the boats are occupied in the afternoon for sunset cruises).

In the morning we'll be driving from Roy's Rest Camp to Rundu so we will only arrive at noon. Do you have any other ideas that we can do in the afternoon? Perhaps book tiger fishing at another place?

Ivan

6. The Following User Says Thank You to rubbens16 For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by rubbens16 View Post
    I've asked the lodge to book the tiger fishing, but they were only able to book it in the morning (the boats are occupied in the afternoon for sunset cruises).

In the morning we'll be driving from Roy's Rest Camp to Rundu so we will only arrive at noon. Do you have any other ideas that we can do in the afternoon? Perhaps book tiger fishing at another place?

Ivan
    I don't know Rundu well enough to recommend anyone, but it will definitely have more than one outfit who can help you out. Perhaps someone who knows outfitters in that area can advise?

I've done a lot of tiger fishing on the Zambezi, but only tried twice on the Okavango. Once at Shankara with success, and once from Hakusembe with no success. Both times from pontoons tethered to the riverbank.

There is a nice pontoon with a roof at Hakusembe on the river by the camp sites. It seemed to be there on a permanent basis when we were there this last December (2018 ) Its tethered to the riverbank and has a wooden walkway with handrails to get to it. Easy and safe to fish from and you can take your camping chairs onto it. I think you'll have better luck from a boat though with a local guide who knows the river.

You need to have the right tackle for tiger. Steel traces, as they will bite through the line almost every time if you don't have traces. I have my own gear so didn't ask the Hakusembe people. Maybe get some before you leave, but don't let the tackle shops over sell you on gear

Try and get camp site 3 if you can. It's right in front of the pontoon, and also nicely cordoned off from the other sites.

Good luck!