Community opposes Game capture in South Luangwa National Park

Default Community opposes Game capture in South Luangwa National Park

2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

2. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Community opposes Game capture in South Luangwa National Park

Interesting!
    It is important that the local community benefits from wildlife and tourism. It is also a common complaint in Botswana and Namibia.
    Many of these communities live in utter poverty near luxury lodges and hunting safari camps.
    You do need their co-operation and support.
    I have read on this forum that many tourists will also (apart from a day or two in the parks) spend a day in the GMA's to view game due to the high cost of entering the parks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to RonS For This Useful Post:

RonS you are 100% correct.
    The problem is these so called managing companies that earn millions in donations yet on the ground the community suffer.
    I am told that the guys with the guns are the biggest threat to wildlife yet they are suposed to protect wildlife.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Tooi For This Useful Post:

The main problem is that the state owns all wildlife

There's been some (initial) positive developments on this. There were also some concerns expressed about game capture in Kafue as well, which to my knowledge, was also halted. Some personnel shake-ups at DNPW and within the Ministry of Tourism in the last few weeks, we hope, will also have some positive impacts on how this is all handled.

I'm doing work here in Zambia that is focused on improving the models for community engagement and economic benefit within/around protected areas. Hopefully we'll be able to put some structures in place with key partners that will move things in the right direction here. Linking sustainable tourism development, community engagement and conservation is critical given the wider regulatory environment in Zambia.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 1Vision For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by 1Vision View Post
    There's been some (initial) positive developments on this. There were also some concerns expressed about game capture in Kafue as well, which to my knowledge, was also halted. Some personnel shake-ups at DNPW and within the Ministry of Tourism in the last few weeks, we hope, will also have some positive impacts on how this is all handled.

I'm doing work here in Zambia that is focused on improving the models for community engagement and economic benefit within/around protected areas. Hopefully we'll be able to put some structures in place with key partners that will move things in the right direction here. Linking sustainable tourism development, community engagement and conservation is critical given the wider regulatory environment in Zambia.
    Regarding the game capture in Kafue, we were told by an American tourist who was in Kafue at the time, that game capture did indeed take place there and ruined that part of his trip.

I applaud you for your efforts and hope things work out positively. We enjoy Zambia and the wildlife and the people.
    2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.7L V8

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Chuckzoo For This Useful Post: