Malawi / Zambia Nyika border (Katumbi)

Default Malawi / Zambia Nyika border (Katumbi)

Hi everyone.

Hoping to get the latest on the Malawi / Zambia border, called Katumbi.

I would be entering from the Malawi side and have heard there are minimal services on the Zam side and Visa / TIP / Insurance must be processed in Isoka.

Any info on this + road conditions would be very appreciated.

Thanks

Default Re: Malawi / Zambia Nyika border (Katumbi)

Quote Originally Posted by Wazungu Wawili View Post
    Thanks, WW. I'm waiting on a response from CAWS and will post here after I've crossed (if I do indeed do this route to Mabala in Zam).

Confirming this route is passable albeit very slow going. Drove mid-Apil with recent rains. I will update with more detail soon.

Just found this a bit old thread. We traveled this road in May 2018 from Zambia to Malawi. There are absolutely no facilities at zambian side. We had to be stamped out in Isoka. Being on Sunday we took the officer from her home to the office and payed some small "off-working-hours" fee. I doubt she is able to issue TIP, 3rd party insurance, road tax, visas etc. I guess everything has to be organized in Kasama. The road was in decent condition, no problem for Hilux at all. At the malawian side we were able to buy TIP and road tax, but no visa nor 3rd party insurance. We got 5 days on provisional visa (after some "negotiations"), so we could visit Nyika Plateau NP without backtracking. We organized proper visa and 3rd party insurance later in Mzuzu. We got small fine for missing insurance at the T-junction at the beginning of tar road M9 to Nyika. Policemen knew very well we had no chance to buy the insurance at the border, hence a steady way to improve their budget. We got a proper receipt thus.

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to schwott For This Useful Post: