Requirements to take a dog into Namibia

Default Requirements to take a dog into Namibia

Can anybody help me with the requirements to take a dog into Namibia from RSA while touring.

Default Re: Requirements to take a dog into Namibia

You need a permit issued by the local state veterinarian.

Also, AFAIK you are not allowed to travel via Bots if the permit does not allow for a second country, albeit in transit.
    Isuzu 300 d-tec
    MB Gwagen G350 Bluetec
    Nissan NP300 2.4 4x4
    BMW R1200GS & GSA

Jip. State vet issues a permit. And make sure they are not due for inoculations within one month of border crossing.
    VW Touareg V6 Tdi Escape
    Bush Lapa Boskriek 816

1) You take your dog to your local vet to get an Inter-territorial Movement Permit. Al the dog's shots must be up to date and it must be micro-chipped. The vet also does a clinical examination and has to declare that the dog is healthy. His health certificate is valid for 30 days but may not be done more than 7 days before departure
    2) Then you visit your nearest State Vet. As far as I know, the nearest one to you is Milnetron (22 Lobelia st, 021 808 5400). They want to see the dog, but can't/won't do the clinical examination. The State vet certifies that there are no movement restrictions applicable, that the dog's rabies shots are up to date, etc
    3) then you pitch up at the 2 border posts ..... Sometimes they ask to see the papers, most often not. Don't pitch without the papers ! They will turn you back and then you have to run around trying to organize everything.
    4) Before leaving Namibia you have to visit the state Vet again. The one in Windhoek is in Robert Mugabe Ave +264 61 27 6580 and there is also one in Keetmanshoop +264 63 22 3635. Just phone beforehand. The same 7 day rule as in 1) applies
    5 ) Then the border again, same as in 3) above.

Enjoy !

Johan
    Last edited by J Snyman; 2019/04/12 at 04:22 PM.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

Hello,
    Can the "microchip requirement" be confirmed? I read somewhere else that if you from SADC region, the dog does not need microchip but at least a name tag on it with "parents" details.
    A google search gives me state vets only in places like Malmesbury, Swellendam, etc, all the farm areas can someone help with a link or list of state vets available in Western Cape Please?
    Thanks

2019 Triton Auto
    Sold - 2016 Mitsubishi Pajero Sport 2.5 DiD 4x4 a/t
    Jurgens XT140

Maybe you should read post #4 (the one above your one) s l o w l y ........

We travel with our dogs between Windhoek and the Western Cape about 3 times per year - and my post explains how it works.

Depending on where we are we take the dogs to the State Vet in George, Swellendam or Milnerton.

I’ll be jumping through the hoops again next week as we are driving down next weekend and will be visiting PE, Gansbaai and Durbanville.

Johan ��
    Last edited by J Snyman; 2019/09/05 at 08:05 PM.
    2011 Daihatsu Terios 4x4
    2018 Isuzu KB300 Double Cab 4x4 Auto

I probably should not mention that we live in namibia and cross the border into south africa often with our two Jack Russels.
    Have never visited a state vet.
    Dont do as I do...
    Kimball R. Pitcher

Head - 2007 Toyota Fortuner, OME, extra tank, roof rack, bent running boards
    Heart - SFA hilux dcab