Amarok Head gasket blown

Default Amarok Head gasket blown

hy all,
    first post in this forum. Amaroks been brilliant apart from the coolant pump 2 failure. FYI, cheap chinese copy pumps continue to throw codes so dont skimp on this part replacement..

so, what do I have in store with head gasket failure? is the head likely cracked or in your experiences has a skim been a reliable fix? there are chinese heads available but I know of no-one whos used one at all let alone over a longer period. My cars done 113k miles recorded, should I rip the motor and rebuild it? whadya think?

Any advice, pitfalls, special tools required aside from locking tools?
    2.0 bitdi 180ps

dov

Default Re: Amarok Head gasket blown

Sorry but how does a waterpump cause error codes?
    Head gasket is possibly only blown if you overheated it and then immediately chucked cold water in.
    indon't know which make heads you refer to but I have used AMC heads quite a few times and no issues so far on customer cars where we used them. Thenoldest one that I still see has probably done around 100k with that now.
    if an overheat is approached correctly and caught early enough is does not have to mean engine damage. Ie. Shut down as soon as the temp rose, left to cool on it's own till say under 80 degrees, then slowly introduce water while idling. Should not have engine damage then.
    Audi Q7 - 3l TDi - 2010 - steel suspension - wife's daily
    VW Touareg - 2005 - V10 TDI
    VW Touareg - 2009 - V6 TDI
    VW Passat CC - 2013 - 2l TDi bluemotion(repair project)

thanks for your input, I was towing a trailer with 3 round bales of hay up a main road when it overheated almost instantly boling the water, I could feel it rumble... It still starts and idles fine but the coolant tank pressurizes and blows its top if you slacken the lid bubbling coolant like a geezer...

The electric coolant pump B or 2 V51 iirc, is controlled directly by the ecu and is commanded on when temp circumstances dictate, ie hot engine/egr/turbos and it'll be commanded to run with the ignition off. Its also reversible, by ecu control..hope that helps you understand it better. Its on the front of the engine fwd of the turbo. The heater pump is on the wheel arch behind the headlamp, similar, but NOT the same.

My gaskets gone for sure, not sure if my head will be, thats the concern..wondered if there were any experiences of HGF??

cheers
    dov

Ah electric after run pump. The after run pump should not have caused the overheat in the first place. Something else did.
    But yes - definitely sounds like you blew a gasket. If the area that the cams run in has not warped then yes you could get away with a skim and new gasket.
    If you check the head where the cams run and there is a warp the head is a throw away.

So when you strip you have to start checking - the main pump, water bottle cap, radiator , fans etc. for the original overheat cause.
    Last edited by Stephan van Tonder; 2019/04/12 at 10:10 AM.

Where can I find the fluid capacities for the 2.0 bitdi? though a google would sort that question, but hell no!!

I'm away from home right now and it looks like number 3 cylinder has a little scuffing /polishing down the bore. I think that cyl piston needs replacing. can the pistons be removed without removing the engine and the block honed in situ?
    I need the car back on the road in two weeks time but work away from home..the head has some damage from heat between the cylinders, can they be skimmed at this stage or is a new head the best way forward? Worried the material is softened...??

Any experienced vw dubbers here? I believe I have a CHSA engine code 180hp, are there any compatible blocks I could use from the passat for eg??
    Last edited by dovski; 2019/04/28 at 01:22 PM.

If you can get the sump off and get to the bottom of the rods yes sure you should be able to get one piston out.