ground sheet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: ground sheet.

Default ground sheet.

Outdoor wharehouse is out of stock of the 4,5 x3,6 groundsheet. It is also quite expensive at R900.00 Would 80 percent shade cloth do the trick. I am going camping with my wife for the first time this week end and dont want any disasters so I want to try and be well prepared.
    Shade cloth is R80 per meter and it is 3m wide.

Default Re: ground sheet.

I almost want to welcome you to the best holidays but you will find that out yourself
    Shade netting will work.......but i have found it to work best if doubled or even tripled up so there goes your saving
    It does tend to roll up on the edges and looks tatty after a few camps, the best to do is to stitch around the edges but forget about this if you do not have a walking foot industrial machine. A domestic can do the job but the lack of feed pressure will have you breaking more needles than you could cater for.

Personally I would find another supplier and spend the extra buck. remember to put one under the tent groundsheet.

One bit of advice: check what the weather is going to do and be ready https://www.yr.no/place/South_Africa/ these folks are not bad, enjoy.
    Henk
    Adventure is out there go find it

Fitment and trailer service. Agent for SnoMaster & Tentco
    Follow us on Facebook

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hbannink For This Useful Post:

Have you tried at Makro?

I bought the same size from them for much cheaper than ODW.

Takealot will deliver
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by SAND View Post
    Have you tried at Makro?

I bought the same size from them for much cheaper than ODW.
    Makro has the plastic woven fabric. I have one. I prefer the heavy duty shadcloth groundsheets though. I think they are also kinder to the grass than the Makro ones.

These guys made and shipped groundsheets made to my specifications.
    I had mine made of double shade cloth turned 90% degrees, one side silver and one side green with the edges stitched over with vinyl and eyelets.

https://www.seilevirafrika.co.za/index.html

Plunger you seem to have very little time left to organise this if not freely available - you are welcome to borrow my 3m x 3.6m ODW groundsheet and just return it after the weekend. Don't know if the smaller size will work for you?

Send me a pm if interested - you can pick up tomorrow in Dbn North area.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to walkabout For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by walkabout View Post
    Plunger you seem to have very little time left to organise this if not freely available - you are welcome to borrow my 3m x 3.6m ODW groundsheet and just return it after the weekend. Don't know if the smaller size will work for you?

Send me a pm if interested - you can pick up tomorrow in Dbn North area.
    Thank you for the kind offer. I went to Santos builders supply and bought a piece of 3x3 shadecloth.I guess after this I will be much wiser as to how to prepare.

No stress, enjoy. You will see, if your wife is "open to camping " the things we worry about often mean very little to them. Just enjoy it with her.
    2006 Isuzu DMax 300Tdi DC 4x4

I went to my local NWK and bought a 3x3m net for around R150, I dont even know how thick/dense/shaded it is. Used it a couple of times and works a charm
    No fraying on the edges either.

if it should, Im probably just gonna melt it a little with a lighter to seal it up

A shade cloth is a much finer weave than a groundsheet and still causes the grass to suffer (AND DIE IF CAMPING FOR 4 OR SO DAYS) when compared to ground sheet material. It is the bigger breathing holes in ground sheet weave that keeps the grass going when covered by the correct ground sheet.

Astute campsite managers and owners will not allow you to use shade cloth. Of course, they will also ask you to make a plan or leave when you do not use anything at all, The solid floor of a tent will kill grass in 2 days flat!

Campworld shops (most caravan and trailer outlets also) sell the correct ground sheets and are in my opinion, better priced that ODW
    Last edited by mvcoller; 2019/04/12 at 04:19 PM.
    Malcolm van Coller - retired but remained living in Johannesburg (love it here, can find everything you want and need here in Jhb)
    2011 Nissan Pathfinder 2,5 CDi LE Manual (Standard Traction Control plus Front Diff Locker)
    2008 Nissan Patrol 3.0 TDi GL (Packing system, 60lt water tank, std rear locker, LOKKA on front, two 105ah aux batteries on NL system, larger Cirrus intercooler, complete 76mm exhaust system)
    2003 Bushwakka Shorti (extra luggage space for customers on when on safari (with 160 H/Moon Star Gazer RTT and 100lt water tanks)
    Ex 1999 Nissan Terrano 2.7 TDi (Limited Slip Diffs Front and Rear) with Jurgens RTT for Guiding trips
    Ex 2011 Conqueror Supra II for personal camping
    Ex 1995 GQ Patrol GLX 3 speed Auto (disaster that box was!) - Lexus V8 transplant
    Ex 1984 Nissan Safari (Poelies Vehn) 2.8 Stationwagon with 5 speed conversion, rusted like it was paid to rust!
    Ex 1995 Sani 3.0 V6 Exec
    Ex 1994 Venture 2200 with lock diff (Company vehicle) that whet my appetite for overlanding.
    Many 4x4s in National Service (Landies, Jeeps, Willys, Bedfords, Unimogs and Buffels)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to mvcoller For This Useful Post:

And Camp & Climb even better!
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

Knittex, 14 Nipper Rd., Mountain Ridge, New Germany.
    031 705 2120.
    Ready made ground sheets, or made to your requirements.
    All types of Shadecloth.
    Difficult to spot sign, as at the back of the complex. Just enter and drive up to the back.
    Ask for Michelle.

17. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ad Rem For This Useful Post:

Snakes love to crawl under groundsheets.
    Have had experience with Puffie and Cobra.
    Take care.

ďAfrica changes you forever, like nowhere on earth. Once you have been there, you will never be the same." - Ernest Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by Ad Rem View Post
    Knittex, 14 Nipper Rd., Mountain Ridge, New Germany.
    031 705 2120.
    Ready made ground sheets, or made to your requirements.
    All types of Shadecloth.
    Difficult to spot sign, as at the back of the complex. Just enter and drive up to the back.
    Ask for Michelle.
    Dit is beslis een van die bestes!

Skadunet sal werk maar, dit kan baie glad wees en jy kan maklik gly en val.
    Elize

en ry saam met SarelF in
    VW AMAROK MET BLINKGATCAMPER:
    My Platkar:- Peugeot 208

Kyk gerus by www.blinkgatproducts.com
    Vir enige aluminium produkte,canopy's, campers kontak gerus
    Sarel 0828209413

20. The Following User Says Thank You to witklipbank For This Useful Post:

Ok here is my camping top tip! Get some roofing nails and use them to peg your shade cloth or groundsheet in place. Stops the edges curling over and much cheaper than whatever the camping stores supply.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ian For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by ian View Post
    Ok here is my camping top tip! Get some roofing nails and use them to peg your shade cloth or groundsheet in place. Stops the edges curling over and much cheaper than whatever the camping stores supply.
    I use old cylinder head valves.

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ad Rem For This Useful Post:

It depends where you are going to camp, you might end up with a hard top parking area thus dont need a ground cover only a carpet to wipe feed before entering tent or caravan

you cant go wrong with these, they protect the grass as well as if camping on sandy ground allows the sand to pass straight back through.

http://tentco.co.za/index.php/quick-.../ground-sheets

Okay so my first camping trip was a success.The only problem is my wife is 4' 11" so I am stuck with some technical issues of getting the tent up.I bought my tent at an auction for R500.00. It is a very heavy tent. I was lucky in that there was a tree above the tent so I used a rope to pull the tent up and this allowed me to get the spring steel rods in. But the gazebo was another story.

The myriad of different size poles confused me and I literally spent an hour trying to work it out. Daylight faded and in the morning three ladies strolled over to our tent site and asked me if I need help on my gazebo. I think they thought my gazebo looked shabby and I was bringing the neighborhood down.

Anyway I swallowed my pride and they promptly put it up right . The shadecloth wasnt needed as there was paving but as mentioned it is a bit slippery and the ends curl up which could be dangerous.

But it was a good practice run.
    I now need to find alternate places to camp. This place we went to was very nice and was in the northern Drakensberg.
    Thankyou everyone for your advise.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to plunger For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast