Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall





Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 23
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Bellville
    Age
    47
    Posts
    36

    Default Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    We will be spending a few days in Morgan Bay during the December holidays and I have been wondering which is the shortest and or quickest route for us to drive, from Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall.
    Would I require permits to travel this route?
    Is it an easy day trip or should I plan to spend the night at Hole in the Wall, taking into account that I will be traveling with a 7 year old the is not going to be happy to be locked up in the car for the entire day?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,356

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    We done it in December, but from Kei. For the amount of time in the car it's not worth the trip.
    We took the tar around to hole in the wall. We also tried going through the Transkei but it's very difficult. Most of the roads that are on the newest tracks for Africa don't even exists and can't be seen due to it being over grown.

    Rather take the little one to East London for some games or a movie.
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 2 4x4.
    2001 Isuzu KB320 Frontier 4x4.
    2012 Polo GT White with community sticker.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,517

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    If you are looking for an outing from Morgan Bay, travel to Kei Mouth and take the ferry across the Kei River. Then drive to Trennery's or Seagulls and have lunch at the hotels there. In December it would probably be wise to phone and book the hotel lunch.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,356

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    If you are looking for an outing from Morgan Bay, travel to Kei Mouth and take the ferry across the Kei River. Then drive to Trennery's or Seagulls and have lunch at the hotels there. In December it would probably be wise to phone and book the hotel lunch.
    I agree, especially at Trennerys.....
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 2 4x4.
    2001 Isuzu KB320 Frontier 4x4.
    2012 Polo GT White with community sticker.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    34
    Posts
    968

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Hi guys

    What's wrong with Hole in the Wall? I've been meaning to plan a trip there on the way to East Cape Highlands but haven't made any plans as yet.

    Thanks, Quintin

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    East London
    Age
    66
    Posts
    4,517

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Nothing at all wrong with Hole in the Wall, wonderful destination. Just a long day trip from Morgan Bay. Where do you plan to stay?
    Landcruiser 76SW.

    “Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

    At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

    Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    34
    Posts
    968

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Stan Weakley View Post
    Nothing at all wrong with Hole in the Wall, wonderful destination. Just a long day trip from Morgan Bay. Where do you plan to stay?
    Well I haven't planned that far yet but will appreciate suggestions (looking more at chalets and not camping). I have a small wishlist where I write down destinations and start gathering info of places to stay and things to see along the way, etc...usually these lists are started pretty far in advance! I like to do a lot of research and it's also part of what gets me excited about those places as I like exploring new places

    My original plan was to travel to Hole in the Wall, spend 2 nights there. Then travel to Kinmel (Rhodes) for another 2 nights, explore some of the passes, then Balloch for another 2 nights and then move on to family either in Sterkstroom or Molteno before heading back home to PE. I would ideally do it in Winter and hopefully see some snow when in the EC Highlands

    But as research goes on, plans change so please enlighten me

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Vanderbijlpark
    Age
    41
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    We were at Hole in the wall during the easter break....only about a 100km from Umtata but takes 2 hours....wonderful sites but the cattle and dogs on the road mean one cannot safely drive above 80. Worth a visit but best to spend a night.
    2015 BMW X3 2.0d Sport
    2012 Toyota 86
    1981 Toyota Corolla Liftback
    ex 2007 Toyota Prado 4.0
    ex 2008 Mercedes c220cdi

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,356

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    Hi guys

    What's wrong with Hole in the Wall? I've been meaning to plan a trip there on the way to East Cape Highlands but haven't made any plans as yet.

    Thanks, Quintin
    Nothing wrong, just saying from Morgans area to Hole in the wall is rather far just to spend a few hours sight seeing.
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 2 4x4.
    2001 Isuzu KB320 Frontier 4x4.
    2012 Polo GT White with community sticker.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Port Elizabeth
    Age
    34
    Posts
    968

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Thanks guys. Where would you guys recommend staying at Hole in the Wall?

  11. #11
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Location
    Nelspruit
    Age
    61
    Posts
    43

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    We did the trip from Dwesa nature reserve to Coffee Bay last week. (4 May 2017), via a tracks for Africa route in the former Transkei.
    Drove with a Toyota Hilux Legend 45 D/C (4x4) and towed a Jurgens Explorer caravan. Took us nearly five hours to cover 78 kms.
    Beautiful scenery but difficult driving in some areas. In my opinion, it is a tough adventure route and not to be undertaken after it rained.
    I would also advice not to go with one vehicle only.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Apr 2017
    Location
    PUMULA
    Age
    58
    Posts
    310

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    DONE THE HOLE IN THE WALL TO KEI MOUTH, a few times on a GSA1200 and once in a 4x4.

    Get a SLINGSBY MAP they are very detailed and accurate maps, covering all the tracks, accommodation, places of interest and conditions of the road. Better than any GPS, as it has more info; works well together. My farm is marked on the map Mkulu Kei Nature Reserve (not the trails but the farm). on the R349 14kms from KM, come past for coffee. www.wildcoast.co.za/map-of-the-wild-coast

    There is no road along the coast all the way and one has to go inland via kentani, there is 4x4 track, close to the coast but you can't cross the rivers, so you have to come inland.

    Keeping close to the coast, It is a long, long trip in a 4x4, on a bike it's easy trip. stop half way on at kob inn, espesialy as you have a kid.

    Watch the ferry times, especially on public holidays. last year they closed on some of them or only ran for 2 hours.

    We enjoyed the coffee bay hotel. KOB INN is also brilliant- half way to KM from HITW.

    You can go via the tar road, but still a long way just to see.

    The hole in the wall, needs a few days, great tracks in the area.
    Last edited by K-9; 2017/08/22 at 12:25 PM.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4




  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    king william's town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,102

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    Thanks guys. Where would you guys recommend staying at Hole in the Wall?
    Camping at White Clay or Coffee Bay Camp sites...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    king william's town
    Age
    64
    Posts
    1,102

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by tintin_85 View Post
    Well I haven't planned that far yet but will appreciate suggestions (looking more at chalets and not camping). I have a small wishlist where I write down destinations and start gathering info of places to stay and things to see along the way, etc...usually these lists are started pretty far in advance! I like to do a lot of research and it's also part of what gets me excited about those places as I like exploring new places

    My original plan was to travel to Hole in the Wall, spend 2 nights there. Then travel to Kinmel (Rhodes) for another 2 nights, explore some of the passes, then Balloch for another 2 nights and then move on to family either in Sterkstroom or Molteno before heading back home to PE. I would ideally do it in Winter and hopefully see some snow when in the EC Highlands

    But as research goes on, plans change so please enlighten me
    If you like mountain passes the is a great, about 40 km gravel road/mountain pass between Flagstaff and Tabankhulu. The turn off in a westerley direction from Flagstaff you leave Flagstaff in a southerly direction towards Port St. Johns for about 10 kliks then turn off west on the gravel road to Tabankhulhu.
    Really one of the better passes I have driven...
    From The N2 you turn on the shortest route to Tabankulu and then straight through taking the gravel road to Flagstaff...
    I have driven this pass in both directions fot the best effect from bothdirections.
    The 40 kms will take about 1.5 to 2 hours with photo oppertunities...

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    54
    Posts
    970

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by K-9 View Post
    DONE THE HOLE IN THE WALL TO KEI MOUTH, a few times on a GSA1200 and once in a 4x4.

    Get a SLINGSBY MAP they are very detailed and accurate maps, covering all the tracks, accommodation, places of interest and conditions of the road. Better than any GPS, as it has more info; works well together. My farm is marked on the map Mkulu Kei Nature Reserve (not the trails but the farm). on the R349 14kms from KM, come past for coffee. www.wildcoast.co.za/map-of-the-wild-coast

    There is no road along the coast all the way and one has to go inland via kentani, there is 4x4 track, close to the coast but you can't cross the rivers, so you have to come inland.

    Keeping close to the coast, It is a long, long trip in a 4x4, on a bike it's easy trip. stop half way on at kob inn, espesialy as you have a kid.

    Watch the ferry times, especially on public holidays. last year they closed on some of them or only ran for 2 hours.

    We enjoyed the coffee bay hotel. KOB INN is also brilliant- half way to KM from HITW.

    You can go via the tar road, but still a long way just to see.

    The hole in the wall, needs a few days, great tracks in the area.
    I'm reviving this thread because I'd like to visit the Morgans Bay / Hole In The Wall area in September or October this year for a week or so. I'm interested in camp sites we can get into with the Disco 2 Td5 Auto and Xplorer van. Electricity isn't a must as I am getting it rigged for solar power. Can you guys like K9 that are knowledgeable about the area giving some updates info please.
    The humble person makes room for progress; the arrogant person believes they’re already there.
    2004 Disco 2 Td5
    Suzuki SJ410 (being rebuild)
    VW Touran 2.0Tdi
    Lotus 7 (replica - not a kit)
    Freelance Photographer (part time)
    Member Of: Southern African Freelancers' Association

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Lonehill, JHB
    Age
    42
    Posts
    6,299

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Yellow Sands Campsite near East London. Comes highly recommended.

    https://www.yellows.co.za
    2014 Pajero 3.2DiD SWB

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,125

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm reviving this thread because I'd like to visit the Morgans Bay / Hole In The Wall area in September or October this year for a week or so. I'm interested in camp sites we can get into with the Disco 2 Td5 Auto and Xplorer van. Electricity isn't a must as I am getting it rigged for solar power. Can you guys like K9 that are knowledgeable about the area giving some updates info please.
    We loved Yellowwood forest:



    Unfortunately the river was dry:



    Also Coffee Bay Caravan Park was super if you have your own bathroom setup as part of your rig. Ablutions not that great.


    Zapiture,
    Discovery 4 Facelift 2015
    Defender D90 2.8 2003
    Conqueror Commander 2014

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Welkom
    Age
    43
    Posts
    452

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul#25 View Post
    I'm reviving this thread because I'd like to visit the Morgans Bay / Hole In The Wall area in September or October this year for a week or so. I'm interested in camp sites we can get into with the Disco 2 Td5 Auto and Xplorer van. Electricity isn't a must as I am getting it rigged for solar power. Can you guys like K9 that are knowledgeable about the area giving some updates info please.
    We are planning on doing the Wild Coast Eco 4x4 trail early July. We will be starting at KM, so i will keep notes and give feeback/report on our return.
    05 Mitsubishi Pajero LWB 3.2 Did GLX

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Centurion, Pretoria, SA
    Age
    67
    Posts
    1,170

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    Double Mouth is a lot quieter / less commercial than other in Morgans Bay / KM but not for kids looking for entertainment. Also cheaper. Nice and sheltered in amongst trees (the sites near the gate get a bit windy) right on the beach. Nice big sites. No dogs / nature reserve. Good fishing. Beautiful quiet beach even on New years day! Good security friendly staff. Nice walks. About 4 km on a fair gravel road south from Morgans Bay. Book through Eastern Cape Tourism (same as Dwesa)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181231_125109.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	484.2 KB 
ID:	525124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181231_125337.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	707.5 KB 
ID:	525125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181231_125350.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	642.1 KB 
ID:	525126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190109_075405.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	377.4 KB 
ID:	525127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190109_171935.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	611.6 KB 
ID:	525128   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20181231_145337.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	282.9 KB 
ID:	525129   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20190106_120619.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	258.9 KB 
ID:	525130  
    SOMETIMES I WAKE UP GRUMPY,
    SOMETIMES I JUST LET HER SLEEP!

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Roodepoort
    Age
    45
    Posts
    391

    Default Re: Morgan Bay to Hole in the Wall

    We also camped Yellow in June last year and was very quiet, 4 tents and our trailers
    The one at the mouth however was packed tight

    Coffee bay White clay camp ground is great right on the cliff by the beach and very close to hole in the wall. Not many facilities close by so pack what you need. Many places to buy quarts beer and not much else
    Last edited by zeek; 2019/04/09 at 09:03 AM.
    Riku
    2011 Echo4 with Blinkgat Nose cone and

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •