Wildcoast - bosluise en spinnekoppe.

Default Wildcoast - bosluise en spinnekoppe.

Ons toer was wonderlik, vanaf Oos London - Dwesa- Coffee Bay - Mbotyi en Lupathana. Alles het voorspoedig verloop behalwe vir die bosluise. Niemand het ons gewaarsku dat daar so baie bosluise is, my vrou het aldaar bosluiskoors gekry en ek sit ook nou met bosluiskoors. So voornemende besoekers tref maar voorsorg vir die bosluise en spinnekoppe. Is regtig 'n baie mooi deel van ons land.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to maanskotze For This Useful Post:

Default Re: Wildcoast - bosluise en spinnekoppe.

Quote Originally Posted by maanskotze View Post
    Ons toer was wonderlik, vanaf Oos London - Dwesa- Coffee Bay - Mbotyi en Lupathana. Alles het voorspoedig verloop behalwe vir die bosluise. Niemand het ons gewaarsku dat daar so baie bosluise is, my vrou het aldaar bosluiskoors gekry en ek sit ook nou met bosluiskoors. So voornemende besoekers tref maar voorsorg vir die bosluise en spinnekoppe. Is regtig 'n baie mooi deel van ons land.
    ..Just use a Tick Spray on your ankles and inspect yourselves every night ..I have never had a bad experience with ticks in the Transkei ..No where worse than other areas of Africa ..Spiders are good ..Just ignore them they are harmless ..Part of Nature

At certain times of the year pepper and other ticks can be a major problem on the Transkei coast. Most often in summer and after rains I think. The itching from these small, almost invisible pepper ticks that attach themselves to your skin in large numbers, can drive you mad. Then of course there is also the common risk of tick-bite fever.

We use a aerosol manufactured by Bayer, known as Bayticol which is very effective when sprayed on clothing like socks or shorts. It is not meant to be sprayed directly onto skin although some do so.
    Landcruiser 76SW.

“Great journeys are memorable not so much for what you saw, but for where you camped”.

At least "Once a year go someplace you have never been before" Delai Lama.

Trans East Africa 2015/2016 Trip report http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...e16?highlight= from post 315.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Stan Weakley For This Useful Post:

In case you're wondering what it looks like, below a fully developed tick bite, around a week after the bite, fever and hallucinations.

Same place, April last year. Hluleka, to be exact.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Bite.JPG 
Views:	147 
Size:	1.91 MB 
ID:	525099

Someone else from our group also got it. Remember to check between your toes.
    Last edited by JJJ; 2019/04/08 at 10:03 PM.
    Johnie
    Volvo XC60 T5
    180kW/350Nm (1500 - 4800 rpm)

We were in the Bela Bela area in March 2018.
    I have never seen so many ticks in all my life - there were a zillion billion.
    Every blade of grass (almost without exaggeration) in the 200km2 that we moved around in had between 5 and 25 ticks on it.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    If you make a noise or need music in the bush or on the beach, you’re missing the point.

Yip, Transkei is full of pepper ticks.
    I have had occasions where I have counted 50-70 bites on me the next day, ankles, under the socks, and inside your undies

Bayticol works wonders as Stan said, really good product.

Problem is that the local cattle doesn't get dipped any longer by the government like in the days, no money, dip doesn't reach it destination .......

Toyota Land Cruiser 79 DC V8
    Toyota Hilux 2.8 GD6 4x4
    Toyota RAV-4 2.2 D4D

Quote Originally Posted by PRA View Post
    We were in the Bela Bela area in March 2018.
    I have never seen so many ticks in all my life - there were a zillion billion.
    Every blade of grass (almost without exaggeration) in the 200km2 that we moved around in had between 5 and 25 ticks on it.
    That is frigging nuts, to be honest, wow!

I have not used the spray in the past and will definitely do so - the gators from K way works well for me but in most cases then I also wear long pants...

Thanks for heads up and reminder!
    Ford Ranger
    Double cab
    Stock standard (for now)

I have been told that south Africa has 33 tick species, that area has 28 of them. Perfect conditions for ticks. and Transkei cattle are not dipped frequently.

Doctors often miss the symptoms, like malaria - you must tell your doctor where you have been, so he can get you tested.
    Current off-road vehicles: *** Great family accommodation. See Facebook, Google maps and airbnb. Wild Wind Ranch/Mkulu Kei
    * 1975/8 SHREK Land-Cruiser FJ40 DIESEL P/U, BFG 31x10.5 muds. 2 x 1.6 ton tirfor winchs
    * 1994 Land-Cruiser J70 DIESEL P/U, my truck recovery vehicle. 15000 warn winch. And 3.5ton tirfor winch. Back full of appropriate sized recovery gear. BFG31x10.5 muds
    * 2014 Land-Cruiser LX V8 76 DIESEL STATION WAGON, BFG's 285 all terrain
    * 1988 HILUX TOYOTA 4x4 D/C.
    FOR SALE
    * 2011 HILUX 4X4 P/U, BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 1999 PAJERO 3.5 V6 Mitsubishi (sorry not a Toyota), BFG 31x10.5 all terrain
    * 2006 FORD ranger 2.5 diesel. 4x4, (what was I thinking, also not a Toyota!) I have a spare 5000 warn winch I might fit.
    * 2011 Isuzu bakkie 4x4
    * FIONA - Rhino Yamaha 660 4x4. Warn winch. Mud tyres
    * 4x4 trailer, 1987, BFG all terrain
    * GSA 1200 BMW ADVENTURE LC 2018, the closest motorbike to a land cruiser
    * A Massey Fergusson 375 tractor. Not BFG's and not a 4x4