Fooling Around with a Middle Aged Gypsy.......with Pics - Page 3

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Default Re: Fooling Around with a Middle Aged Gypsy.......with Pics

Caravan is a different ballgame to trailers.
    In a caravan the floor is the strongest part, so use it.
    Try to make things as light as possible.
    Make Alu frames and use 3mm plywood to close out the inner sections. Use Slikaflex glue. It lasts longer than screws.
    With beds I like the flip up option. You can use gas lifts if it is too heavy.
    Drawers require all sorts of strengthening and some mech again to keep it in place, thus heavy.

With tires, go for commercial type. It's got a stronger sidewall, thus less flex.
    I would keep the tires as hard as possible. Let the suspension do it's job.

2007 Nissan Navara 4L Auto - Worshond

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wetkit For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post
    Make Alu frames and use 3mm plywood to close out the inner sections. Use Slikaflex glue. It lasts longer than screws.
    Drawers require all sorts of strengthening and some mech again to keep it in place, thus heavy.

With tires, go for commercial type. It's got a stronger sidewall, thus less flex.
    Just wanted to add this too, commercial 8 ply tires and preferably at 3 bar. Sway is normally cause by either an incorrect loaded/packed van or wheels
    Current: 2018 Ford Ranger 2.2 XLT AT DC 4x2 with 1985 Jurgens Fleetline L
    Sold: 2015 Ford Ranger 2.2 XL MT DC 4x2, Sold: 2013 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Trend, Sold: 2010 Ford Ranger 2.5TD Supercab, Sold: 2007 Ford Bantam 1.6 XLE, Sold: 2006 Ford Focus 1.6 5DR Sport

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluefin06 For This Useful Post:

i would not drill any holes through the caravan wall 90% of that wall is polystyrene with a wooden frame and a 3mm ply skin on the outside to stop any hail damage you wont be reinforcing anything

6. The Following User Says Thank You to vidalbum For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by kenskind View Post
    Hier is die verduideliking vir jou swing probleem:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM
    Ja maar ek ry nie 'n Mustang nie

THANKS anyway, dit moet BESLIS daai spare agter wees.

Ek het nou die hele voorkant uitgestrip, en hy lyk nie bad nie. Ek het net 'n splintertjie in my vinger gekry wat baie pynlik is, so ek is vir nou eers klaar met my Middeljarige Bondeltjie Plesier
    "Everything You See, I Owe to Spaghetti" (Sophia Loren)

Quote Originally Posted by Wetkit View Post

MUCH thanks again here!!!

I sort of know now what to do with the 2 double beds:

Front 3/4 bed:

1) Strip wooden structures and clean flooring, put new flooring, check all fasteners and nuts/bolts etc etc.
    2) Frame front square tubing, just a "center piece", bit higher than existing, and bolted very securely to whatever there is to bolt it securely on.
    3) Light lid as per recommended in this Thread. Its not a huge mattress, so shocks not really necessary.

Rear double:

1) Same as (1) above
    2) Same as (2) above - more or less
    3) Shocks may be needed
    4) I'm doing either an island bed or then an "off center" one. Will just see how things measure up.

.......while stripping away (meaning the vantjie), I just again noticed how damn flimsy these things are.

I think what I can and should do, is attaching the floor securely with a thickish alu strip inside and outside the van, and sort of "bind" the floor to the bottom walls.
    Like "strapping" an old sandtsone house.

Gaan kamp eers een keer met die wa

Jy gaan BAIE van jou planne anders uitlÍ as nou
    2010 Toyota Fortuner 3.0D4D 4x4
    Front Mount Intercooler / 76mm Exhaust / "Veri-Peri" Remote map Dastek chip - SAC / RAW4x4 Predator Suspension(HDP Shocks) / DIY Roof Rack / 265/70R17 BFG AT Ko2 / Frontrunner Rocksliders / Excel Long range Tank / Ironman Front Bumper / DIY Rear bumper with sparewheel carriers / DIY Centre Console / OOMS se Canvas Dash & Sparewheel covers ......what is next?
    2014 Toyota 3.0D4D Extracab
    Soos hy van sy Ma af kom
    2012 BMW X1 2.0D S-Drive
    Adrie's fuelsaver....[/B]
    All covered by:TUFFSTUFF INSURANCE PRODUCT

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Nutsman For This Useful Post:

Ja ek weet

Maar nou klaar begin uitstrip.

Raak nou koud ook vir kamp.

Soek net lekker basic cheapy vantjie hier.......

Quote Originally Posted by Petri Oosthuizen View Post
    .......while stripping away (meaning the vantjie), I just again noticed how damn flimsy these things are.

I think what I can and should do, is attaching the floor securely with a thickish alu strip inside and outside the van, and sort of "bind" the floor to the bottom walls.
    Like "strapping" an old sandtsone house.
    I see this has been done, and looks sturdy, must say.

I also peeled away some old Novillon kakkas, and the floor looks VERY good, like in as new.

Some "soft stuff" below the front window though. Not major, but there. I'm thinking to sommer camouflage and stiffen that up with alu plate or something.

Ek gaan nie die dingetjie in 'n nuwe Explorer probeer verander nie.

Guys sorry - quickie if I may please

If I want to remove the old cupboard and liquor cabinet, how to please??

Looks like it's glued against the veneer, and I dont want to damage that too much if possible.

Thanks

Hierdie middle aged gypsy hou my besig.

Die veneer onder die front window het "pap" gevoel, ek het so stuk afgehaal. Een van die "plankies" is gebreek.

Verder sien ek nie major issues nie.

Besig om 'n nuwe raam te laat maak vir voorste bed, so bietjie hoer as die oue.

Nogal nice om so bietjie in te klim en te kap en stoot.

Eks net van nou af VREK bang vir splinters.

Eks net van nou af VREK bang vir splinters.
    Steek is n steek oom...
    Always think: Could this be sarcasm?

Guys sorry - quickie if I may please

If I want to remove the old cupboard and liquor cabinet, how to please??

Looks like it's glued against the veneer, and I dont want to damage that too much if possible.

Thanks
    Petri, unfortunately, caravans from that era are built from the inside out. The Cupboards are built onto a floor and in most cases the walls get put on last. For vans of the design like you have, and several models after too, the 'inner' walls of a frame and wood were then applied, and these frames were then glued, and screwed or wood rivetted onto the cupboards, but from the outside. Only later in the production process was the aluminium skin added onto the wooden framework.

That was just a long way to tell you that unfortunately, getting to those screws from the inside of the van is virtually impossible. Remember that the cupboards and beds are screwed to the walls to offer them strength. Without those cupboards, the caravan would shake itself apart very quickly.

I have rebuilt a few vans like yours now, and (without sounding negative) - there is only one way to do what you want to do. Trying to remove the cupboards from the walls without damaging the walls is going to be virtually impossible. I overcame this in several different ways, and you can choose whichever suits you below.

To remove the cupboards, I would strongly suggest that one of the only ways, is to get yourself an oscillating multi-tool. Slip it as close to the cupboard frame against the wall and start working it through. You will feel where the screws are. If there are rivets, cut those flanged rivet bases off first, and once you've released the glue with the multi tool, the cupboards can be pried from the wall slowly and you'll be left with some rivets that can be drilled out. Fill these with wood filler as needed.

Once the cupboards are off, you can decide how to dress the damaged walls (sorry to say again, this is somewhat inevitable). Depending on what I was doing the caravan up for, the options are quite endless. You can fill the damaged areas with wood filler, sand the entire wall lightly (it's only laminate so not much sanding needed) - and then paint it with a primer. Then purchase some wallpaper and clad the whole inside - you can get very smart finishes, but wallpaper glue selection is important. On another install, the customer asked me to carpet the walls, which I did using carpet tiles, which provided great insulation too. You can also use vinyl flooring which can be stuck on. I recently even used thin laminate flooring to do a long wall of a Sunway in a wood slat finish that came out surprisingly well, but added unnecessary weight (it was only being used for show office).

Last advice is to be weary of what you remove. As mentioned, the cupboards offer a LOT of strength and rigidity to the walls. If you remove a load of cupboards, be sure to place some sort of support in it's place, but be sure to mount that to the walls for rigidity.

On another point entirely, be careful about removing the spare wheel as the solve to your swaying problem. The previous owner no doubt had emptied most of the van when you collected it, so the nose would have been light. Once you've packed the van, it could easily place the needed weight on the front, which will stop swaying. Be VERY careful of the rear bed packing space. There's major temptations to the blonde to use that area as a target to fill it up (as they all do). This is the most dangerous thing to do on anything you tow. Weight at the rear is a big no no. Heaviest items (like a fridge) will always be as close the axle as possible, then work forwards and place heavy tents etc. in the front. Be careful not to exceed 100kg on the ball weight, but do NOT place heavy things in that back bed. Pillows, duvets, jackets etc is fine, but not weight. I have travelled with the previous owner (just 2 weeks ago) behind your van and it sat ROCK solid at 125km/h even overtaking trucks, there's definitely nothing wrong with it's suspension and there is no need for shocks. The same dragging arm rubber axle is still used on the Explorer, and it doesn't need shocks.
    Mark Trollope
    Prado 120 V6, Fortuner V6, Hilux 2.7, Cruiser 80 EFi, Cruiser 75, Lexus RX350, Jurgens Xplorer

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mark Trollope For This Useful Post:

Thank You

Sir Trollope

SOUND advise from someone who knows me well and knows that there is a very real possibility of this van becoming a very unique, go anywhere fish and chips stalletjie if I was doing the job

And yes, I do forget Doug's words to me "Petri use this for what it is". Very true words.

OK die agterste hout goete is ook uit.

Ek het nou 'n go anywhere hot dog stalletjie.

Some work to do.

The floor is OK, but where the fridge stood there's a problem. See Pics. The wall is loose from the floor there, so that needs to be fixed - God know how, but I guess I'd have to become a fast learner here.........fast

Replace that piece of floor - but then maybe sommer do the WHOLE floor while I'm at it??
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Interior stripped. Veneer looks good enough, I'll paint or clad it with something.

Removed the "spongy" stuff under the front window, turned out that 2 of those little plankies has broken. Easy fix, I'm sommer thinking put 20mm alu square tubing in there and fix it for good.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110752.JPG 
Views:	229 
Size:	226.9 KB 
ID:	524813   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110753.JPG 
Views:	233 
Size:	242.2 KB 
ID:	524814   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1110754.JPG 
Views:	230 
Size:	212.4 KB 
ID:	524815  

Another problem......the left front "roof base" has sagged a bit.

Thought its my imagination, but its not. It sags a bit, already cut into the wardrobe.

Will have to look at that, it will bother me the whole time.

vrot wood on the right hand side underneath, will have to do whatever needs to be done there. This is where "fridge floor" has that problem, and where the wall is loose from the floor.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast