The new Nikon Z6 Mirrorless

Default The new Nikon Z6 Mirrorless

So this past weekend I had the Z6 to test for me to decide my future and changing over to mirrorless. It came with a 24-70 F4 lens. Also had the adapter to test with my own lenses

For what's it worth I do 95% sport photography, so just keep this in mind.

Well firstly it is full frame and it was a pleasure to use. as it is still using the Nikon menu, it was really easy to find my way with this camera and have had it set up in 5 minutes for my own liking.

Portraits were incredible and I think this will make a nice landscape camera also. Photos however all showed some vignette at the corners and was not clear from middle all the way to the corners. I also found it to be a bit obvious for my liking.

One thing that did stand out for me was that when you deliberately underexpose say 2-3 stops and you bring it up in post, the dark areas especially is handled exceptionally well. In the past I did get some noise, but with this camera photos the dark areas corrected in post present almost no added noise. REALY NICE.. I was super impressed by that.

The lens and autofocus was good but in low light it seem to struggle a bit even through it used autofocus assist light. The lens were zooming in out a lot. tried it with different focus points and yeah that is it.

So to come back is it usable for sport and for my application/usage. ?
    ABSOLUTELY NOOOOOOO.

It just do not work for me.
    - Autofocus just way slower then the D500 and only about 50% photos was properly in focus.
    - When shooting burst mode the screen lag was really terrible where the athlete was already moving away then screen still showing the athlete a meter back.

Verdict, it sure is a really nice camera and I am seriously contemplating to buy one very soon, but currently it is not even close to be a replacement for the trusted D500 for sport photography. I look at the D500 with new eyes. The D500 surely is an incredible camera for sport.
    So the Z6 was handed back Monday morning to Nikon without to much of a depression. The I just "HAD TO HAVE THAT NOW" feeling was not there. I am sure though that for other people the Z6 might be a perfect fit for their usage.

well that is my story in short.

Default Re: The new Nikon Z6 Mirrorless

Thank you so much for this report on your experience with the Z6 Johan. We are seriously considering the move with the deals they had on and trade in options.

We use d750 and d610, Weddings and portraits and then travel, wildlife and birding. Do you think we will be happy or should we hold out for something else? Better?
    Our Travel and Photography blog- https://twotracks.co.za

The Beast - 2005 Toyota Hilux D/C 4L with freeflow

Daily Drive- Girlfriends Honda Jazz

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post
    Thank you so much for this report on your experience with the Z6 Johan. We are seriously considering the move with the deals they had on and trade in options.

We use d750 and d610, Weddings and portraits and then travel, wildlife and birding. Do you think we will be happy or should we hold out for something else? Better?
    I think for wedding it should be perfect. I amsolutely love the effect that you do not see what the lens show but what the sensor see. So you immediately know what photo is going to look like. In wedding you do not have time and this for me would make it ideal.

Birds in flight i have my doubts.

Why not rent for a day and rather see if it keet your expectations.

Mirrorless is the way to go and as said I seriously consider the Z6, but mainly as a travel/portrait camera for now..

BUT Z6 WILL NOT REPLACE current cameras. The z6 surely will only be an add-on. Z6 definately NOT close to be equal to my existing cameras I have for my sport.
    Last edited by johan65; 2019/04/02 at 11:17 AM.

I will stick to my D850 and DSLR Lenses ..No adaptors for me ..It will take Mirrorless 10 years to get a FULL suite of PROPER Mirrorless lenses to match Sigma ART primes which I have 4 and a 5th later this year ..The D850 is Killer and the best all rounder I have ever used ...Dynamic Range for stop after stop after stop and in 12 years time I will be 80 so DSLR will see me through ..If I was 40 I would get the Sony A7R III and all their G Master lenses and fill up on Sony Mount Art Primes for Portraits and weddings and Landscapes
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/04/02 at 11:14 AM.

5. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Gifmonster View Post

I would wait for the Nikon Z 12 with will come after the Z7, Z8 , Z9 , Z10 and Z11 (Hopefully with Sony like Eye detection Focus) and for Nikon to bring out MIRRORLESS lenses like the 24-70 f2.8 !! , 70-200 f2.8 , 35 f1.4 , 50 f1.4 , 85 f1.4 and 105f f1.4 ..Until that happens stay with your D750
    Last edited by Peter Betts; 2019/04/02 at 11:17 AM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Betts For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I will stick to my D850 and DSLR Lenses ..No adaptors for me ..It will take Mirrorless 10 years to get a FULL suite of lenses to match Sigma ART primes which I have 4 and a 5th later this year ..The D850 is Killer and the best all rounder I have ever used ...Dynamic Range for stop after stop after stop and in 12 years time I will be 80 so DSLR will see me through ..If I was 40 I would get the Sony A7R III and all their G Master lenses and fill up on Sony Mount Art Primes for Portraits and weddings and Landscapes
    Yes Still waiting for you to sell that 850. I know my name is on that camera.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Betts View Post
    I would wait for the Nikon Z 12 with will come after the Z7, Z8 , Z9 , Z10 and Z11 (Hopefully with Sony like Eye detection Focus) and for Nikon to bring out MIRRORLESS lenses like the 24-70 f2.8 !! , 70-200 f2.8 , 35 f1.4 , 50 f1.4 , 85 f1.4 and 105f f1.4 ..Until that happens stay with your D750
    Agree

I would have thought it common knowledge that he Z6 is notin the same league as the D500 as an action camera.

However, I believe there are several usage cases where it or it's brother the Z7 will beat the pants off any current Nikon DSLR.

For example anything to do with video, but also for most forms of star photography.

For star photography, lets compare the Z6 with the D750:
    1) About a stop more Dynamic range
    2) The silent shutter mode means that you can take the hundreds of photos necessary to make a decent star trail or time-lapse without putting any wear on the shutter mechanism.
    3) The better live-view screen makes it easier to focus directly on the stars.
    4) Better weather sealing to cope with the dew often encountered in this type of use.

Not even going to mention the possibility of better wide and fast lenses in the future.

On the other side of the coin, I can't really think of any advantages the D750 has over the Z6 in this usage.

If I had the money for a dedicated star and landscape camera to compliment my D500 right now, the Z6 would be the one.
    Last edited by Peter Connan; 2019/05/28 at 04:30 PM.
    1996 Patrol 4.2SGL with lots of stuff to make it heavier and thus increase traction?

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Peter Connan For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Connan View Post
    I would have thought it common knowledge that he Z6 is notin the same league as the D500 as an action camera.

However, I believe there are several usage cases where it or it's brother the Z7 will beat the pants off any current DSLR.

For example anything to do with video, but also for most forms of star photography.

For star photography, lets compare the Z6 with the D750:
    1) About a stop more Dynamic range
    2) The silent shutter mode means that you can take the hundreds of photos necessary to make a decent star trail or time-lapse without putting any wear on the shutter mechanism.
    3) The better live-view screen makes it easier to focus directly on the stars.
    4) Better weather sealing to cope with the dew often encountered in this type of use.

Not even going to mention the possibility of better wide and fast lenses in the future.

On the other side of the coin, I can't really think of any advantages the D750 has over the Z6 in this usage.

If I had the money for a dedicated star and landscape camera to compliment my D500 right now, the Z6 would be the one.
    Thanks peter. I cannot comment on the star part as you know I have no experience but we all know you master on that subject so I accept what you say.

Man you make me laugh about the common knowledge part of Z6 and sport. Yeah yeah but was hoping for a better then expected result, but it really was a huge disappointment. The D500 autofocus is far superior for sport.

But for portraiture with a roto light or two it is going to be really nice to get camera setup to take pic as you see what sensor see. No second takes. That is main reason the Z6 will be part of setup in very near future. I just love to be able to what sensor see..

The Z6 also work pretty nice with my current lenses so I have no problem waiting for new lenses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGTTbzx5ejM

Interesting opinions...

They feel that Nikon and Canon will have a hard time to get their mirrorless ranges off the ground. In fact - they are concerned for Nikon in totality!
    Last edited by SuzukiPiet; 2019/05/28 at 12:15 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to SuzukiPiet For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by SuzukiPiet View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGTTbzx5ejM

Interesting opinions...

They feel that Nikon and Canon will have a hard time to get their mirrorless ranges off the ground. In fact - they are concerned for Nikon in totality!
    Ja, I just think they're quoting some fishy numbers. Sure the Canon EOS 6D has sold more than the EOS R or RP on Amazon, it has been on the market for a LOT longer, the same applies for the Sony A7 iii. They need to compare numbers for the last 3 - 6 months. To use an example, IMO, if anybody now buys a 6D MKii before an EOS R, he is being short sighted.

I do agree that Sony is way ahead of the curve, and they're launching more lenses regularly so that's becoming less of an issue. Their eye-AF is amazing and Canon is nowhere with it - Nikon somewhere in the middle. If I was starting out now and had the money, I wouldn't go past the Sony A9. I probably wouldn't even look at any of the current Canons. Yes, Sony doesn't have a 600mm prime, but I'm sure it's coming..

As for Canon, I'm hoping they launch a proper mirrorless sometime soon, one with better frame-rates, IBIS, eye-AF and so on. Their RF lenses seem to be the best of the lot so they deserve a better body.

I can't speak that much for Nikon, but anybody who thinks they might be in trouble has obviously not met some of the crazy fans of the brand..