Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.





Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 57
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lephalale (Ellisras)
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    I am hunting for batteries for my backup power system for my house with the possibility of upgrading, but could not find a recent thread comparing and identifying the best from the hundreds of batteries available.

    After calling varios supplier and getting specs and prices I do not think I am going to win alone.

    I have an axpert 5kva and thus need 48 v.

    What I found thus far:

    Lithium are best in terms of ferformance but its very expensive.

    I've build a battery pack for my ebike 20ah 48v using sony vtc5 with a BMS, self build.

    Best price I could find was R80 per cell 3.7V 2.5Ah imported from battery bro. This is a bit to expensive for me.

    Next I am looking at deep cycle batteries with a good cycle life comparing 50% DOD( not sure how reliable the graphs are).

    Best I have found is the omnipower gel batteries @ R2800 for 120ah 12v 2400 cycles at 50 % DOD.

    Anything else out there?

  2. The Following User Says Thank You to LJF For This Useful Post:


  3. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    I would rather buy a cheaper battery and make the battery bank big enough that you stay well with in their DOD range vs an expensive battery bank.
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

  4. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lephalale (Ellisras)
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    I am not really getting a "cheap" deep cycle battery, even the batteries with a low cycle life is above R2000 for 100ah 12v.
    Last edited by LJF; 2019/04/02 at 09:29 AM.

  5. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ladysmith
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,390
    Thanked: 238

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    I am not really getting a "cheap" deep cycle battery, even the batteries with a low cycle life is above R2000 for 100ah 12v.
    I think he means cheaper than Lithium. The Omnipower you mention in your OP is about the going rate for batteries that I've seen, usually 102Ah go for about R2200-ish, at R600 difference, thats R2400 for another 72Ah, which is expensive. Get 4x 102Ah and put the R2400 toward the cost of another four, either now or in future. 117% capacity for 127% cost is not great.
    Office Johnny

    2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold


  6. The Following User Says Thank You to petermoffat For This Useful Post:


  7. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lephalale (Ellisras)
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Some interesting points made in this thread 4 years ago.

    http://www.4x4community.co.za/forum/...his-make-sense

  8. The Following User Says Thank You to LJF For This Useful Post:


  9. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    I saw that, and basically agree. A battery last longer if you keep the DOD shallow. One why to do that is make the battery bank bigger.

    Thus compare costs in that way also, smaller expensive deep cycled battery vs cheaper bigger battery shallow cycled.
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

  10. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    33,178
    Thanked: 8519

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Can somebody also unpack all the different SIZES of deep cycle batteries, there must be a dozen options, which is best when it comes to ZAR/AH?
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  11. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Pretoria
    Age
    58
    Posts
    7,445
    Thanked: 859

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    It is more complicated than just price per Ah. There is also life expectancy (cycles)

    A 100Ah battery at R1000 with 200 cylces life expectancy is 5x more expensive than a 100Ah at R2000, but giving you 2000 cycles

    Be careful. It's a minefield out there, and sharks taking advantage of the uninformed.

    Do this calculation....

    Price/(Ah x 50%DoD cycles)

    In the above examples the cheap one will cost you 5c per Ahcycle and the more expensive one just 1c

    Life expectancy is critical when doing your cost calculations.

    See the attached just how these could vary!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Sakkie Coetzee

    Some people say I have a "short temper"....I see it as swift and assertive reaction to Bull!

  12. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sakkie For This Useful Post:


  13. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    De Wildt
    Age
    56
    Posts
    33,178
    Thanked: 8519

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post

    A 100Ah battery at R1000 with 200 cylces life expectancy is 5x more expensive than a 100Ah at R2000, but giving you 2000 cycles
    You see, that is the info we need. I can understand that your ROI is better on the latter.
    2012 Jeep Sahara Unlimited 3.6 V6
    Percivamus

  14. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Location
    Centurion
    Age
    62
    Posts
    626
    Thanked: 244

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Thanks for the information Sakkie. Now one can really see why Omnipower is a great price for what you get.

  15. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Ladysmith
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,390
    Thanked: 238

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sakkie View Post
    It is more complicated than just price per Ah. There is also life expectancy (cycles)

    A 100Ah battery at R1000 with 200 cylces life expectancy is 5x more expensive than a 100Ah at R2000, but giving you 2000 cycles

    Be careful. It's a minefield out there, and sharks taking advantage of the uninformed.

    Do this calculation....

    Price/(Ah x 50%DoD cycles)

    In the above examples the cheap one will cost you 5c per Ahcycle and the more expensive one just 1c

    Life expectancy is critical when doing your cost calculations.

    See the attached just how these could vary!!!!
    I've been thinking in terms of R/Ah mostly because I reckon by the time I kill batteries from load shedding (I'm planning on hybrid inverter only, no panels), better technology would be available at a cheaper cost, but that puts it into a lot more perspective. I'd be curious if those Omnipower have been independently verified to give that live, but on paper they do seem like a clear winner.
    Office Johnny

    2008 Triton CC 3.5V6 4x2 - Sold
    2007 Triton DC 2.5DiD 4x4 - Sold
    2007 Pajero GLS 3.2DiD - Sold


  16. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Cape town
    Age
    34
    Posts
    574
    Thanked: 31

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Has anyone heard of Shotto?

    Father inlaw picked up one for R3500, 200ah battery from gumtree

  17. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    jhb
    Age
    38
    Posts
    38
    Thanked: 6

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    From my past experience, deep cycle just didn't work. I had new deep cycle batteries and it's hardly lasted a couple hours...

    Also you cannot charge at a high rate which also didn't help much in level 4 blackouts..

    Eventually took the plunge and bought 2 pylon techs 3.6kwh. They amazing. Last easily through the night. I don't use geyser or oven (I could tho) just to ensure I don't run them too low.

    My place idles consuming about 650watts.. What's yours at? And have 1 axpert 5kva

    Would love 2 more batteries but ain't got the bucks. I could turn off ac for good...

  18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to getoutahere For This Useful Post:


  19. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edenvale
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,331
    Thanked: 517

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Here is a sheet I found, but cannot remember where...
    I have not checked latest pricing...
    Attached Files Attached Files

  20. The Following User Says Thank You to NewLandy For This Useful Post:

    Att

  21. #15
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lephalale (Ellisras)
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by petermoffat View Post
    I've been thinking in terms of R/Ah mostly because I reckon by the time I kill batteries from load shedding (I'm planning on hybrid inverter only, no panels), better technology would be available at a cheaper cost, but that puts it into a lot more perspective. I'd be curious if those Omnipower have been independently verified to give that live, but on paper they do seem like a clear winner.
    I am also not sure of the omnipower specs seems to good to be true....looking at the thread 4 years ago above, batteries didn't really get that much cheaper...import and shipping costs on lithium is killing us. It costs R40 a lithium cell and another 40 on taxes and shipping.

  22. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Okahandja, Windhoek
    Age
    67
    Posts
    3,832
    Thanked: 646

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    On deep cycles, yes is charges slower but DOD is also deeper, thus one need to decide what is daily demand and what is required to charged it back per day, and if possible at the charged rate available. Different batteries have different charged rates. The daily demand / DOD % is the bank size, but also check costs at different DOD %'s .
    Last edited by JLK; 2019/04/03 at 10:09 AM.
    Johan Kriel

    LC's and Echo Chobe

  23. #17
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    potgietersrus
    Age
    67
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    I am hunting for batteries for my backup power system for my house with the possibility of upgrading, but could not find a recent thread comparing and identifying the best from the hundreds of batteries available.

    After calling varios supplier and getting specs and prices I do not think I am going to win alone.

    I have an axpert 5kva and thus need 48 v.

    What I found thus far:

    Lithium are best in terms of ferformance but its very expensive.

    I've build a battery pack for my ebike 20ah 48v using sony vtc5 with a BMS, self build.

    Best price I could find was R80 per cell 3.7V 2.5Ah imported from battery bro. This is a bit to expensive for me.

    Next I am looking at deep cycle batteries with a good cycle life comparing 50% DOD( not sure how reliable the graphs are).

    Best I have found is the omnipower gel batteries @ R2800 for 120ah 12v 2400 cycles at 50 % DOD.

    Anything else out there?

  24. #18
    Join Date
    Sep 2013
    Location
    potgietersrus
    Age
    67
    Posts
    42
    Thanked: 38

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Quote Originally Posted by LJF View Post
    I am hunting for batteries for my backup power system for my house with the possibility of upgrading, but could not find a recent thread comparing and identifying the best from the hundreds of batteries available.

    After calling varios supplier and getting specs and prices I do not think I am going to win alone.

    I have an axpert 5kva and thus need 48 v.

    What I found thus far:

    Lithium are best in terms of ferformance but its very expensive.

    I've build a battery pack for my ebike 20ah 48v using sony vtc5 with a BMS, self build.

    Best price I could find was R80 per cell 3.7V 2.5Ah imported from battery bro. This is a bit to expensive for me.

    Next I am looking at deep cycle batteries with a good cycle life comparing 50% DOD( not sure how reliable the graphs are).

    Best I have found is the omnipower gel batteries @ R2800 for 120ah 12v 2400 cycles at 50 % DOD.

    Anything else out there?
    I Am on my second set of these Omnipower batteries and I found them to be very good so far. My first set was a 620 Ah 12V bank and was abused for three and a have years by draining them to 50% continiously. I have now increased the Capacity to 840 Ah and expect it to easily last me 5 years. This setup is running a house with 12v fridge/freezer combo, The rest from a 1000w Pure sinewave invertor like LED tv, LED lights, Laptops, cellphone chargers, food mixers, knitting machine ext. Charging from a 1000W solar panel. The rest is Gas operated.

  25. The Following User Says Thank You to Pieter B For This Useful Post:

    LJF

  26. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2019
    Location
    Lephalale (Ellisras)
    Age
    28
    Posts
    7
    Thanked: 5

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    For anyone interested here is the spreadsheet I have compiled with the info I have received thus far. It is a work in progress, and if there are any additions please let me know.

    I used the following formula to standardize my price to the following:

    12 volt battery
    1000 cycles @50%
    100ah

    using the formula below

    Price x (100/battery ah) x (1000/Battery rated cycles)*(12/battery voltage)

    This gives me an answer on what they battery would have cost if it was rated at the specs above.


    Attached Files Attached Files

  27. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to LJF For This Useful Post:


  28. #20
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    joburg
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,022
    Thanked: 257

    Default Re: Best,most cost effective deep cycle batteries.

    Have to agree with the statement of many sharks out there, each professing to be THE experts in the field.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •